Profile for Anagram > Reviews

Dizzy Heights
Dizzy Heights
Price: 10.42

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring Lows, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
I bought the album and listened to it about ten times because I am aware that good songs need a bit of listening until they click.
I am a long time fan of Spliz Enz, Crowded House, Tim and Neil. Whereas Tim's solo efforts have a constant quality, with very few exceptions, Neils Output since the brilliant CH album Together Alone is quite a mixed bag. His first solo effort Try Whistling This was quite alright but everything that followed, except the collaboration with Tim, was quite mediocre. The Pajama Club is certainly ok for the family album but not for general release and this belongs to the same category. As a matter of fact, I simply don't understand what happened to his talent or judgment.

Breaking Bad - Season 1 [DVD]
Breaking Bad - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston
Offered by mmglobal3
Price: 8.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 4 Nov 2013
I suppose I just didn't get it. I watched series 1 and 2. I found it very boring, neither funny or in any way emotionally engaging. Watching some losers leading stupid lives and go through boring, not convincing and unsurprising plots is simply not my cup of tea. The most amazing and at the same time shocking thing is Walter's Pontiac Atzec. What a gruesome car! But that thrill wore off quickly and didn't justify continuing watching.

Then Play On (Extended Edition)
Then Play On (Extended Edition)
Price: 6.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Japanese Re-Issue!, 8 Sep 2013
Like many others I have waited for a decent re-issue of this masterpiece. When I read that Then Play On would get the long deserved make-over and be presented with the correct running order of songs as in the original English vinyl release I was more than happy. When I saw that there will be also a Japanese cardboar cover edition I ordered both the jewel box extended edition at Amazon as well as the Japanese edition directly in Japan. I was very pleased with the normal edition but was shocked to realize that the Japanese edition was released with the wrong running order. Why they should do this is beyond my comprehension. So anybody who considers ordering the Japanese editon, which is by the way done with perfect artwork as usual, should know that this will come neither with the correcet running order/original tracklisting nor with the bonus tracks.
As mentioned by other customers, Amazon should really separate comments and reviews according to the issues and not pack them all together. I give Then Play On (Extended Edition) gladly 5 stars. For the Japanese edition I can only give 3 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 11:37 AM BST

The Next Day
The Next Day
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (MP3 Download)
The David Bowie story ends with Scary Monsters. Everything else that he released after it sounded desperate, boring and uninspired. There were always one or two good songs on these albums, but as a whole they were just forgettable. It is simply a pity that he returned after his long absence. I already forgave him for his sins since Scary Monsters, and now this!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2013 12:19 PM BST

Bish Bosch
Bish Bosch
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.58

5.0 out of 5 stars The Godlike Genius of Scott Walker, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bish Bosch (Audio CD)
When I first listened to Climate of Hunter in 1983 I found it very difficult after the brilliance and beauty of Scott 1 to 4 and some of the old Walker Brothers recordings. When I listen to it now i find it accessible and hauntingly beautiful. The following albums had the same effect, they only revealed themselves after a few years. With Bish Bosch it is quite different. It wouldn't of course go through as easy listening, but it is a record which reveals itself after a few listens and it is very beautiful and moving indeed.

ALT
ALT
Price: 11.98

1.0 out of 5 stars You must be joking, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: ALT (Audio CD)
I am a huge VdGG and PH fan. I have all their releases on LP and CD and saw them many times since 1973 and I want to see them again if they should decide to tour again. I liked them in all their periods and they are also a fantastic band without David Jaxon. It is of course of interest to the hard core fan to know what's going on or who it sound when a band rehearses and improvises. As an addition to Grounding by Numbers it would have made sense, but to release these boring ramblings as a separate CD with a full price is almost a criminal offense. This is the first release of this band which I binned. I hope they are not getting senile and delude themselves that this is something worth listening to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2013 7:45 PM BST

The Movie Songbook
The Movie Songbook
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Sharleen!, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)
I was never a big fan of Texas but liked their songs when I heard them on the radio and definitely always liked Sharleen's voice. She isn't in the same league as Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin or Sandy Denny, but her voice always suited the songs and it could also move me. Although I can't find much fault with the recording, the arrangements or the choice of songs, it simply doesn't work for me. It sounds oddly detached and cold. I bought it because two of my favorite songs ever, The Windmills of Your Mind and Many Rivers to Cross are on it, but this CD has not found it's way into my collection; as a matter of fact, it's on the way out. Sorry Sharleen!