Profile for klm-books > Reviews

Ocean's Twelve [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful...Didn't Make Any Sense, 3 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Ocean's Twelve [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I really enjoyed Ocean’s Eleven and had high hopes for this film but it was awful! With such a respected cast you would have thought the storyline would make sense but when the credits rolled at the end I was sat there thinking - What was all that about?
The storyline was mangled and didn’t make sense. I was expecting everything to come together at the end like the first film but it just didn’t and there was a terrible scene where Julia Roberts’ character pretended to be Julia Roberts although I’m not sure what the point was.
Avoid this film and stick to the first film which had a witty storyline, made perfect sense and came across as clever – this film was the complete opposite and I would not watch it again (in fact I regret watching it the first time)

Angels And Demons: (Robert Langdon Book 1)
Angels And Demons: (Robert Langdon Book 1)
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Da Vinci Code De Ja Vu, 3 Mar. 2006
This was the second Dan Brown book I read and unfortunately I was so disappointed that I didn’t finish it. Personally I found the story line too similar to The Da Vinci Code (I know he wrote this book before the Da Vinci Code but still…)
The book starts with protagonist Robert Langdon being called in the middle of the night. He is called to a research Lab where a man has been murdered, apparently ritually. Robert Langdon believes it to be the work of the Illuminati-- (although it was widely believed this secret group no longer existed) and then something more sinister is discovered. It thus becomes a race against time to save lives and discover the truth and Robert Langdon (with female, accented side-kick Vittoria) have to battle against the authorities who don’t believe their story….
That is about as far as I got when I gave up – it was like reading the Da Vinci Code with a scientific instead of religious theme. Sorry but I would recommend reading just one of these novels if you want to avoid a sense of De Ja Vu – Read either this book OR The Da Vinci Code – don’t read both.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book if it's the first Dan Brown book you read!, 3 Mar. 2006
This is the first Dan Brown book I read and would recommend anyone thinking of reading Dan Brown to chose this one over the others (I tried Angels and Demons but found the story line so similar I stopped reading it)
People have complained about Dan Brown's writing style but personally I enjoyed this as a quick-read thriller. I don't think Dan Brown wanted to write a literary masterpiece but he has certainly written an interesting book.
Never having been interested in religion or religious themes previously I was surprised to find the topic of the Knights of Templar, Mary Magdalene and the chalice etc really interesting. OK, so there is no definitive line between fact and fiction and you have to take the 'facts' with a pinch of salt, but still I found the subject interesting and it certainly made me more interested in reading some of the other books mentioned in this story.
I think you have to give a great deal of credit to Dan Brown - I don't think it's easy to write a thriller on a religious theme which can capture the minds of millions but he has done it and it is certainly a fast-paced, interesting tale.

You Really Got Me - The Best Of
You Really Got Me - The Best Of
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tunes, Won't Disappoint, 3 Mar. 2006
I purchased this album after watching a program on television which featured The Kinks. I recognised many of The Kinks’ songs on the program (and realised that they were all songs I liked) so bought this album and I wasn’t disappointed.
The album is great; the songs make you smile and laugh (my favourite line on the whole album being in Lola – “Now I’m not the world’s most physical guy, but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine. Oh my Lola…”
If you have never had a Kinks album before then you will probably be surprised at how many songs you recognise too.
This is a real foot-tapping album for me which evokes all sorts of feeling including different seasons (e.g. when I listen to Sunny Afternoon and Waterloo Sunset I close my eyes and feel as though I’m basking in the sun listening to great tunes when really I’m huddled over my computer on a freezing day when the boiler has broken down!)
A highly recommended album and one which won’t disappoint.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 9:06 AM BST

Orchids (Evergreen Series)
Orchids (Evergreen Series)
by Michel Paul

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Pictures....Some Information, 28 Feb. 2006
This book starts with an introduction to orchids then it presents a number of orchids with beautiful pictures and a paragraph of text for each variety covered. There are several pages at the back dedicated to cultivating them which covers compost, humidity, watering, ventilation, light, shading, feeding and more.
There is also information on pests and diseases and a section on each month of the year and how it relates to orchids – this information is general though and not specific to the different varieties of orchids.
The pictures in this book are beautiful and the information should provide a great introduction to people thinking of cultivating orchids. If you are seeking information on specific varieties though or more-in-depth information then this book may fall a little short.

Denby Pottery 1809-1997: Dynasties and Designers
Denby Pottery 1809-1997: Dynasties and Designers
by Irene Hopwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Denby Collectors..., 27 Feb. 2006
I found this book an excellent resource. It provided a really interesting history on Denby, not only on the different styles, but also the different designers and the changes in patterns, shapes and colours over the years.
I thought the pictures were excellent. Firstly there were many colour pictures of many different pieces and ranges, then there were illustrations and pictures for the base stamps and there were also scans of catalogues which showed the different shapes for different Denby ranges.
My mum collects Denby and found this book invaluable in dating some of her pieces, as well as informing her as to what style/range the Denby pieces she had belonged to.
If you are looking at, or if you already collect Denby, I think this book is really informative. It may not cover all pieces but it provides the most in-depth information and background on Denby that I have seen to date. Excellent.

House Of Nine [DVD]
House Of Nine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dennis Hopper
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept but really quite poor..., 27 Feb. 2006
This review is from: House Of Nine [DVD] (DVD)
The concept of this film is good – nine people are locked in a house and told that the one surviving member will win £5 million dollars.
Unfortunately it fails on many levels. Firstly the characters are all stereotypical; the bimbo, the good priest, the bad boy gangster, the drug addict with a troubled past etc etc. Dennis Hopper’s accent is terrible, in fact it took me 30 minutes to realise he was supposed to be Irish and Kelly Brook cried and screamed a lot but achieved very little else.
While the concept of tempting people with a lot of money was a good idea none of the characters were very likeable so when they quickly turned mad and started killing each other I just didn’t care, in fact some of the characters were so irritating that I wouldn’t have minded had they been killed off earlier.
The best bit of this film was the ending but even that was a little predictable. I wouldn’t bother with this film unless you had nothing else to do and you were prepared to suspend all belief for a while. If you want to watch a film where people are trapped in a room and need to escape – watch Saw.

Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Informative and Funny!, 27 Feb. 2006
If you care about punctuation then this book is a real treat.
At the beginning of this book Lynne Truss bemoans signs in shops (and other public places) which are punctuated incorrectly and she includes some of the blunders she has read. I must admit that I relate to this as I have shaken my head at the missing apostrophes in some shop signs!
As well as the incorrect use of apostrophes though this book looks at the history and use of punctuation marks from commas and explanation marks to colons and semi-colons. Personally I found it really interesting.
This book is not a conventional punctuation handbook but if you are finding any element of punctuation difficult then this book could help. If you find yourself overwhelmed by some punctuation books which talk about prepositions, possessors, conjunctions and subordinate clauses then this book provides clear examples of sentences which are punctuated wrongly and rightly and it also explains why.
A great book which is not only informative but interesting and humorous - I never know so many funny things could be written about humble punctuation marks!

Frequency [DVD] [2000]
Frequency [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of My Favourites - Excellent Stuff!, 20 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Frequency [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I loved this film. I had heard hardly anything about it before renting it out and must admit that I was surprised at how good it was.
The storyline sounds far-fetched – a young man begins to converse with his father across time to save lives - but it actually works really well. I love the way in which the characters change the past only to directly influence the future (in a similar way to the later The Butterfly Effect).
Both the man characters are really likeable (Jim Caviezel as John Sullivan and Dennis Quaid as his father Frank) and I really found myself on the edge of my seat at the end of the film wondering how it was all going to work out.
Of course everything comes together at the end and I found the ending really enjoyable. The way in which the film covers the past and the present is excellent.
If you are thinking of watching this film I would highly recommend it - it has become one of my favourite films.
Excellent stuff!

The World within: Brontes at Haworth - A Life in Letters, Diaries and Writings (Illustrated Letters)
by Anne Bronte

4.0 out of 5 stars Some lovely illstrations - a little biased towards Charlotte, 20 Feb. 2006
This is an interesting book if you want to know a little more about the life of the Brontës.
I found that this book leaned more towards covering Charlottes’ life rather than that of her sisters but undoubtedly there is more information available on Charlotte as she lived the longest, also two Brontë sisters died very young – Maria and Elizabeth and there is very little information available on them.
I found some of the illustrations a little irrelevant as there were many illustrations where the only link to the Brontë sisters appeared to be that they were painted around the time that the sisters lived.
That said there are some really nice illustrations and photographs too such as sketches by the sisters and their brother Branwell, samplers by the sisters and even teapots, mugs and dresses which belonged to the sisters.
There are some lovely illustrations in this book and if you are a Brontë fan then this book is a must as it provides a little peep into the world of the most famous literary family in history.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4