Profile for sym > Reviews

Painting on Location
by Robin Capon
Price: 12.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative...., 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Painting on Location (Hardcover)
I really enjoy David Curtis' work, and the first half of the book was engaging. However I found myself losing interest in the later stages as the layout was becoming a bit repetitive. Still, a good buy especially for ppl new to the concept and practicalities of plein air painting.

Joan Eardley
Joan Eardley
by Christopher Andreae
Price: 35.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reproductions..., 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Joan Eardley (Hardcover)
I loved the colour plates of paintings and sketches, in addition to images of
Joan Eardley at work. The text seemed a tad disjointed, but very well researched.

The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh (Penguin Classics)
The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh (Penguin Classics)
by Vincent van Gogh
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a true classic..., 8 Oct 2013
A very well crafted book. I enjoyed reading Van Gogh's description of his images and later looking at images of the painting in another book. If you do not already have a book with colour prints or are unfamiliar with his body of work it is probably not the best book to start on.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-made and practical easel, 22 July 2013
This is a lovely easel. I chose it instead of the full french easel as I like to work low on the ground. I've been out a few times with it now and must say I'm really happy with its functionality. Light, sturdy and well made. I think it will last a long time. Very quick delivery. Contacted seller as the was no leather luggage tag as advertised. Very courteous response and tag sent immediately. A+

Lid Stay
Lid Stay
Offered by Terralec Ltd
Price: 1.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Lid Stay
Not bad for the price. Does the job on my homemade paint box, stops the lid from putting too much strain on the hinges. Quick delivery. Thanks.

Trees (Collins Gem)
Trees (Collins Gem)
by Alastair Fitter
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little book, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Trees (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
Very compact but packs a lot of useful information in there. Perfect for quick reference guide while on the move.

The May Street Project
The May Street Project
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking an edge..., 9 Mar 2003
This review is from: The May Street Project (Audio CD)
I picked up this cd in a clearout sale. Her name and the cover made me suspect that Shea Seger was the type of female artist I am partial to (ie. Natalie Merchant, Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple, Heather Nova etc...). My first thoughts are that the drumbeat happening throughout the album is rather tinny and unsure of itself (esp, through headphones), but despite that it is quite a catchy album, more pop in orientation than country. Sometimes I am reminded of early Michelle Shocked due to atmosphere invoked in the acoustic guitar led tracks. I think her second album will be worth looking out for... this one seems to lack an edge...

Magnolia - Single Disc Set (1999) [DVD]
Magnolia - Single Disc Set (1999) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 11.24

5.0 out of 5 stars This Does Happen!, 7 Nov 2002
While I agree that this film will not be to everyones taste, it certainly was to mine. It is beautiful. The script is sublime, intelligent and emotive. The cinematography is remarkable with its heavy hues that work to compliment the overall sombre feel to the film. However, this is not to suggest that Magnolia is all doom and gloom. Instead it is a complex slice of lives intertwined told with affection and also a candid simplicity.
Okay, so the Save-Me-all actors-singing scene might be considered as over the top, but I did not feel it took from the power of the film. It suggested an implicit connection with people that you are not aware you have a connection with. As though it might be hinting that no matter how lonely you may feel at certain moments in your life, you are never alone with such feelings. They are a part of the dynamic of life. A basic message, but one that deserves to be told over and over again.
What I most like about Magnolia is that the narrative is so involved, it can be intepreted to mean different things to different people. It crosses all ages and generations. It tackles the big issues of love, death, loss, loneliness, and caring with such an empathetic touch that I could not resist being drawn into its web.
I particularly like the frog scene, where the young whizz tells himself that "this does happen". He might mean the frogs, but I felt that he meant the day. Days of resolution, like this one, do happen.
This film is worth the gamble. If you do not like it, well chalk it down as yet another film that does not suit your taste. But if something in you can relate to its beautiful core, it will undoubtedly make a lasting mark.

Old Low Light
Old Low Light
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed..., 4 Nov 2002
This review is from: Old Low Light (Audio CD)
Well well, I must say I am very pleasently surprised. I purchased Little Black Numbers on impulse last year, literally because I liked the title. I do that sometimes when scouting for new music. Sometimes I come up a winner, and sometimes they are fast-tracked to the dustball cd space at the bottom of the rack!
At first, I liked Little Black Numbers, but was soon to tire of her breathy voice, fragile lyrics and plucking acoustics and it became allocated to status of dustball collector (although, sometimes I did pull it out to listen specifically to the wonderfully crafted 'Fell Down Fast' track). So, when I bought Old Low Light, it was more out of curiosity than expectation.
I am however, happy to be VERY impressed. Ms Williams has made some move away from the overtly fragile edge of Little Black Numbers without losing what was good about the album. I like the darker lyrics. While still beautiful and delicate, they seem grittier too. The string arrangements in 'Tradition' and 'No one takes you home' are evocative examples of a new depth and heaviness that appeals very much to me (maybe less of the 'baa baa pa ba' backing in the latter though, a bit too boppy for my liking and it seems superflous to the track).
My verdict (for what this ramble is worth!) is to say WELL DONE Ms Williams, you have produced a gem. I humbly apologise for not seeing your raw talent sooner. *Dusts off Little Black Numbers"