Profile for Mark Irving > Reviews

Breaking Down Defensive Formations
Breaking Down Defensive Formations
Price: 2.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 7 April 2014
A great guide for noobs. Ideal for those people looking to get into football and haven't had much exposure to the game

Jiu-jitsu University
Jiu-jitsu University
by Saulo Ribeiro
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic BJJ book, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
I can't praise this book enough.
As a BJJ novice I have been looking for any source of information which could aid my development and this book became my bible.

The way the book is written, the way techniques are explained and demonstrated is pretty much perfect as far as I am concerned. I was able to read, learn and take away with me so much from this book it was immediately gratifying.

I can only offer my own personal opinion on this book but for anyone who is going to start learning BJJ or is early on in their development then this book is a must.

I have previously read books written by the Gracie's, Andre Galvao and Eddie Bravo and this one comes out on top.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Practice: Theory and Technique
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Practice: Theory and Technique
by Renzo Gracie

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 20 Jan 2011
This is a very good instructional book for BJJ beginners.
It provides the reader with the history of BJJ and the Gracie family's involvement in the development of the sport.
The techniques are well explained and the accompanying photographs are easy to follow.
My only criticism however is lack of information on how to avoid counters whilst performing the techniques they are demonstrating,
I personally found this out during randori (sparring) and had to look for alternative sources as a result of this.
I would recommend this book to any one looking to take up BJJ and anyone who is early on in their development.