Profile for Greg Chapman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Frame by Frame: My Own Story
Frame by Frame: My Own Story
by Dennis Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Snooker fans and Dennis Taylor fans would appreciate this!, 18 Aug. 2015
I have had this book since it was first published. It was written in 1985,when Dennis beat Steve Davis at the Crucible to win the Championship. It finished at 3.A.M! This is an extremely good book. It goes right through his childhood in Belfast, his relationship with Alex Higgins, his family, his struggle to get better and better at snooker, and the incompetence of some of the people he met in the process. Irish humour is never far away when Dennis is around, and he uses his early mistakes to his advantage. He can laugh at himself as well.

There are also some photos in the middle of the book, and one of them is a photograph of him and his father(the latter was alive in 1985).

Sight in the Dark
Sight in the Dark
by June Monkhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 18 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Sight in the Dark (Hardcover)
I have had this book since it was first published. It is a beautiful book, It tells the story of June's birth, growing up in Nottingham, the problems of her family, and the Boarding Schools she was forced to go to. because of her eye condition. She has 2 children by different partners, and has 2 admirers. Her eldest son (then 9) starts writing poems to papers to get them printed, so June can buy special contact lenses. June's problem is that she cannot see things in the daytime without dark glasses, but in the night, she has no problem- in fact the darker it is the better she sees. She finally gets persuaded to join a group, and go out, and it is at one of those groups that she meets Ken. Ken finally persuades her to see a specialist about her eyes, but the specialist dismisses June's problem. Undaunted, Ken takes June to another specialist, where after a series of tests, the problem is finally revealed- June has no cones in her eyes at all, but does have rods. This explains why she has better sight at night, and none without dark glasses in the day! The problem is Cone Dystrophy.

In the meantime, her eldest son is trying to raise money for contact lenses, and sells all his toys. A toy firm in Northampton get to hear of it, with the result that June and both her sons get to choose their own toys. They then bring them home.

Shortly after June's condition is finally correctly diagnosed, she visits a specialist, who tests her eyes, and fits her with the correct contact lenses for daytime use. She gets the lenses through the consultant, who tells her "that he has arranged for the lenses to be prescribed through the NHS, and will only cost you 12 pounds or so".

A beautiful book- I couldn't put it down!

Living with a Legend
Living with a Legend
by Kathy Botham

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining read!, 18 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Living with a Legend (Hardcover)
I have had this book since the early nineties. and whilst it is obviously now dated, what does shine through is Cathy's devotion to Ian throughout all the scandal that was around Ian at the time. This book tells you when and where they got married, and how they managed to cope with life. A very entertaining read!

The Hill of the Red Fox
The Hill of the Red Fox
by Allan Campbell Maclean
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written book, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Hill of the Red Fox
I had this book given to me as a school prize many years ago. It tells the story of Alasdair Cameron, who is sent up to his Uncle's croft in Achmore. In the meantime, while travelling on the train from Glasgow to Portree, Alasdair sees a man jump off the train, and a note is pushed into his hand whilst the train is in a tunnel. In the meantime, two scientists have disappeared, and the Russians are suspected of having a hand in it. Alasdair soon finds out that his uncle is involved in this, and with the help of his late father's friend (Duncan Mor) they set out to try and solve the mystery between them. Adventure follows!

The Other Side of the Dale
The Other Side of the Dale
by Gervase Phinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm-hearted book, 17 Aug. 2015
Got introduced to the Gervase Phinn books during a spell in the hospital, which spurred me on to read more of his books. This is the first book in the Dales Series. In it, Gervase tells us about his first year in the job, and finds the children know more about farming than they do about academic education. He quickly learns to adapt, and settles in the Dales (The Rumbling Tum Café). This is a warm-hearted yet sentimental book mixed with seriousness. Mr.Phinn writes very well.

From Liverpool - The Beatles Box
From Liverpool - The Beatles Box

5.0 out of 5 stars A real rarity, 17 Aug. 2015
I got this when it first came out, and still have it. I am very pleased and satisfied with it, as a Beatles Fan. I still have a record player, so I can play it if I want to. A real rarity!

MIKE OLDFIELD BOXED VINYL X 4 LPS 1974 VBOX1
MIKE OLDFIELD BOXED VINYL X 4 LPS 1974 VBOX1

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this, 17 Aug. 2015
Yes, I have got this version. I was lucky enough to buy it off a works colleague who's husband didn't want it, so when I got it, it was in excellent condition, even at eight years old! It now sits in my vinyl record collection, and as I still have a record player, I can still play it. There is a different outtake of "Tubular Bells" on the Boxed Set, than there is on the original "Tubular Bells" in vinyl, which I also have.

The Complete Works: 14 Lps - Queen I to the Works + Bonus Lp Complete Vision [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars It is well worth obtaining, 17 Aug. 2015
Yes, I have got this version-I got it as a limited purchase from HMV when it first came out. It is well worth it, and as I still have a record deck, I can still play them. Consists of the first 13 LPs of Queen plus an extra one. There is also a map of the world showing what countries they toured. Great music!

Bring Me Sunshine
Bring Me Sunshine
Offered by steves music

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic listening, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Bring Me Sunshine (Audio CD)
I have this in my CD Collection. Produced by Readers Digest, it is a nostalgic look at songs that mostly didn't make it into the charts but they were popular. Such songs include "I know an Old lady Who Swallowed a Fly (Burl Ives), and "Boom oo Yatta Ta Ta. (Eric and Ernie). There was also the classic "Three Wheels on my Wagon" and "The Gnu Song" It consists of 5 CD's, a booklet, and was published in 1996.

READER'S DIGEST - MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY! - 5 CD BOX SET
READER'S DIGEST - MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY! - 5 CD BOX SET
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but very hard to obtain, 17 Aug. 2015
Yes, I have got this version in my CD collection, and it gives a very complete collection of the Christmas Hits. it has been well played, but there is no problem with the sound quality. It is actually very hard to obtain now, which is a shame, the variety of the tracks on it are fantastic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20