Profile for Val E. > Reviews

Content by Val E.

Val E. (Somewhere in the UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Bar Soap 100g
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Bar Soap 100g
Offered by OTCFORYOU

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely soap!, 12 Feb. 2015
I started using this soap recently and it's really nice. It's very smooth and has a 'warm' scent which is pleasant but not spectacularly so. It certainly doesn't smell the same as other Palmers products I've tried but then in a solid-soap bar that is not surprising. In a soft-water area, such as where I live, it works up a lot of lather and so not as much is needed and I would expect it to last quite a long time. It's also a rather nice shape. The colour of the soap is a pale brown.

I've used Palmers products before (and hope to review one of their shampoos, soon) and my skin is very dry at the moment so I thought this soap would be the right thing to try. So far, so good. However, I didn't know the ingredients before I purchased it and I wish it was a legal necessity to include them with the other product information. So, to help others make a more informed choice, here are the ingredients in the order given on the box: Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Pentasodium Penetate,Tetrasodium Etidronate, Iron Oxide (CI 77489), Allantoin, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Alcohol, Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289).

They don't say if the Sodium Tallowate is animal or vegetable derived. It doesn't bother me either way, but I should imagine a Vegan would want to email the company and ask, before buying.

I'll probably buy it again, and probably from Amazon rather than the pharmacy site from which I purchased it, as it's slightly cheaper here.

Catherine Lansfield Non Iron Percale King Flat Sheet - Duckegg
Catherine Lansfield Non Iron Percale King Flat Sheet - Duckegg

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange perception of the word 'soft'., 28 July 2014
I bought these for our guest room and just hope that our guests don't hate us after sleeping on these. That should give a clue about how I feel about these sheets. They are described on the packaging as soft. They are absolutely not soft but instead are quite rough. They are cotton and polyester and the cotton part of it is described as brushed cotton. That is wrong. Brushed cotton is soft to the touch and does not make a shushing noise when handling it like it's rough paper. Also, the colour is described as 'duck egg' and I've never seen a duck egg like this! It's more of a grey with a slight greeny tinge to it. I'm not going by how it looks on my screen but how it looks in reality (impossible to judge by the colour on a monitor as they all differ and few are realistic.) They also crease a lot more than I'd expect of polycotton sheets.

That said, I'm giving it three stars instead of two because they washed well and I suspect that over time they might soften. At least, I hope they will.

DAS 1kg Modelling Clay - White
DAS 1kg Modelling Clay - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good clay but a bit strong-smelling, 25 July 2014
This is a very good clay that I would use more often, however I find the smell of it overpowering! That said, I've used DAS on and off since it first came out - oh way back when (might have been the 1970s but don't tell anyone!) - and at the time I'd used different colour nail varnish to both paint and varnish it!

The smell - which is of Linseed, so I assume that is added to it - does wear off as it dries. You can sculpt it like normal clay - use water when needed. Like normal clay, you should cover it with a damp cloth (cheesecloth works well if you can get it and if your sculpture isn't too finely detailed) and then with plastic and then seal the plastic so that it doesn't dry out. If the sculpture is on an armature, just tape the ends of the plastic to the board.

When I first started using this clay it only came in the white, but there is also a terracotta available though I've not used that one. The white clay is grey to start with and goes white when it dries (though not a pure white).

If you're doing large sculptures or objects, use an armature or pad it out somehow first otherwise it will be heavy. This clay dries quite tough and heavy. You can sand it to a really nice finish - use different grades of sandpaper and - a tip - use a nail buffer to give it a shine before applying varnish or paint.

Reeves - Children's Air Drying Clay Kit
Reeves - Children's Air Drying Clay Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but you have to look after it, 25 July 2014
This is very good clay for children - and adults. I use it myself for trying out projects (and, in fact, used some just a few hours ago the results of which are currently drying). It sets fairly well but if you need to do something thin it will curve as it dries so you have to keep turning over the item. The drying time depends on the thickness of the finished sculpture and also on the temperature of the room in which you're drying it. Currently here's it's very warm and it's drying quickly. The colours are pleasant and mix well with each other. You can also mix normal paint in with it.

A few reviewers have said that it is too hard to use and doesn't stick to itself. Actually it shouldn't be hard at all, and if it is hard when you've bought it, I suggest you return it for a replacement or refund because it will probably have been stored badly before sale. It's normal consistency is a little like playdoh, so you can see it should be a soft clay and if it isn't then something is wrong.

The containers are airtight but sometimes it's easy not to see that they aren't completely shut - you have to press the lids down quite hard to make sure. I've lost a couple of containers before through having forgotten to check.

As for not sticking to itself - well it does, but you have to either do it while it's still soft or, as it dries, you need to add a little water to it with a finger or a paintbrush.

The colour of the clay will come off on your hands but is easy to wash off. It will also come off on most surfaces and, when it's fresh, it will dampen anything beneath it. I use it on a bit of cling film (which is also useful to use to smooth it - just put two small layers of cling film over it and press through with your fingers smoothing as you do. This helps to make thin sheets, too.)

It's not terribly strong when using thin pieces, but thick pieces are strong.

It can be cut and sanded when hard, but I'd advise against a child doing this as thicker pieces can be quite tough.

Edit: Apropos varnishing this, I did an experiment and dropped a bit of the clay once it was completely dry, in water. Almost immediately colour came off it onto the base of the water jar and soon afterwards the piece began breaking up. So I take back what I said about using a water-based varnish on this: don't. Also you'll have to ensure that anything you make stays dry. I thought I'd varnished this clay but maybe I hadn't. If you want to varnish it - do a test piece first (easy enough just to pull out a bit of the soft clay, flatten it a bit so it dries more quickly, and just let it dry to use as a test piece.

One thing I have discovered though, from wetting the dry clay is that, as long as only a little is wetted at a time (ie, keep the part you'll hold, dry), it can be used as a painting stick! And you can make your own colours with it from mixing the colours. I did this with a piece that had multiple colours in it and they emerged onto the paper in the same way. Great fun, especially for kids!

Logitech LS1 Laser Mouse - Coconut
Logitech LS1 Laser Mouse - Coconut

3.0 out of 5 stars Not even a runner up to the best, 23 July 2014
This is the mouse that I currently use, but I wouldn't buy another one. It's fairly accurate for day to day stuff but not accurate enough and no amount of fiddling about with the mouse wheel or cursor controls on the pc will adjust it. I do very detailed digital graphics and this just isn't right for that. Aside from that it is very clicky-clacky (reminds me a bit of an old-fashioned manual typewriter. Anyone here remember those?)

The shape is oval which isn't user-friendly or ergonomic. The plastic is shiny so if you're working with it for any length of time in a warm or hot environment (summer, anyone?) it sticks to you. Well, it sticks to me, anyway.

I can't imagine it will last very much longer as it has already started making the usual 'mistakes' that I associate with all Logitech mice. I love Logitech mice when they work, but this make has a habit of very suddenly going wrong and equally suddenly dying. I always keep back-up mice for when that happens.

Alas, the best Logitech mouse is no longer made and I wish I'd bought many of that one when it was still available. This, though, is certainly not even a runner-up to the best.

Perixx PERIMICE-710B, Wireless Mouse for laptop - Black - 2.4G - Up to 10 Meters Operating Range - Nano Receiver - 1000/1600dpi - On/Off Switch - Energizer Batteries Included - Rubber Painting Surface
Offered by Perixx UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could be, 23 July 2014
I bought this quite a while ago and have kept it as an 'emergency mouse' (always good to have one in case your current one suddenly dies) but really wish I'd returned it.

It's not a very comfortable mouise, the few times I've tried to use it the straight sides have made my hands ache. Also I was astonished to discover that the top (which gives you access to the battery compartment) is held on by a magnet. I'd always understood that a magnet's not a very good thing to have near a computer.

The wheel isn't bad, and the cursor didn't need any adjustment on the computer (many mice do) but for long periods of use this one just didn't do it for me. Maybe it will for you.

Biosync Aerobic Step Plus w/ Height Adjustment & Non-Slip Surface
Biosync Aerobic Step Plus w/ Height Adjustment & Non-Slip Surface

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable., 23 July 2014
First off, the texture of this is not non-slip in the sense of being rubberized, which is what I had assumed when I bought it (rather a while ago). It is textured with a raised surface pattern. So I don't find it particularly 'non-slip' but I suppose some people might.

The height adjustment is by way of bits you detach from the 'feet' and they are made of the same material.

The only place I can use it is in a room with a carpet, and this step would have been much better if it'd come with rubber-feet or with something that wouldn't mark the carpet.

Size-wise, it's fine for me as I have small feet but I suspect it wouldn't be so good for someone with large feet. Also I think a serious stepper would want something with more height adjustment options.

Geeta's Mango Chutney 320 g (Pack of 6)
Geeta's Mango Chutney 320 g (Pack of 6)
Offered by CommodityBox

5.0 out of 5 stars A great chutney!, 23 July 2014
I adore this chutney and have been eating it for years. These days, not only with curries but some days I eat it on bread and butter as a spicy alternative to marmalade!

I was so pleased when I saw it sold here on Amazon in packs of 6. Great.

Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II (2.0) Multimedia Speakers with BasXPort Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good speakers, 23 July 2014
I have two pairs of these, one I bought much earlier than the second pair for my own computer and the other for a newer shared computer. The first pair were and still are fine. No hum, no buzz, no problems whatsoever. The second pair at first had a problem with the volume - could barely hear anything - but after a while that settled down. However, what this second pair does that is annoying (but not critical), is the blue light that comes on when the speakers are turned on sometimes goes out and the only way to get it back is to turn it off and on again.

You do need a fairly good sound card, I think, as I can definely notice the difference between the pair of these speakers which I use on a pc with a reasonable card and the others which I use on a pc with integrated audio.

The socket for the headphones is nice, and the bass and treble controls are reasonable. The amount of bass isn't bad, considering the size of these speakers, though in the past I've had a separate woofer and that has been much better. The volume doesn't go up as high as I'd like, but it is certainly better than other pc-speakers I've had in the past.

What I really don't like is that there is a cavity in these speakers in the top of each - for the bass, I believe - and it collects dust like nobody's business! This is one thing that I suspect will unnecessarily shorten the life of these speakers.

For a while I used these without the mesh over the fronts of the speakers as I thought it made them a bit louder (though that might have been my imagination, I don't know) but now I use them with the mesh covers on because I find the yellow of them very distracting and because it keeps them cleaner, and it's quite easy to just detach the the mesh panels and give them a quick dust. Could probably wash them too, but I haven't tried that.

I'd have given these five stars if it hadn't been for the light going off on the new pair, because I think that is a fault - but I really didn't feel inclined to return them just for that.

I'm not sure I'd buy these again if something better were available at a reasonable price - but for the price of them (or the price that they were, at least) they are good. If you have ones that don't work - send them back for a replacement and try another pair.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars tough and good, 14 July 2014
My husband wears these Fruit of the Loom sweatshirts and loves them as they seem pretty indestructable and fit well. He's got a lot of these now. A couple of the colours are extremely bright and but that's part of their charm, and the paler more muted colours are gentle on the eyes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4