Profile for Mr > Reviews

Content by Mr

Mr "X" (Glasgow, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Evil Dead - Full Uncut Version [1982] [DVD]
The Evil Dead - Full Uncut Version [1982] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Campbell
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of pure genius, 6 Aug 2008
This film truly is what gripping horror is all about. When I first saw it my reaction was the same as when I saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Both films were very low budget and both films have a real rawness to the camerawork and acting due to the lack of budget and acting experience. This does not detract from the film - if anything it makes even the most implausible idea real.

The stunning use of various innovative camera techniques by Raimi and the fact that you never actually see the `evil dead' that possesses the actors adds to the overall atmosphere of horror. At first I admit I did find it a tad extreme (the pencil through the ankle being a scene I found too sick - and who could forget the violation-by-tree scene - yuck!). I found after initially watching the film I concluded I did not wish to repeat the experience and I placed the DVD at the very bottom of my ever-growing DVD pile.

I then found the film started playing on my mind. I found myself thinking of various scenes as I was travelling to work and as I was walking in town. The sudden urge to re-watch overpowered me. I wanted to re-discover the events in the cabin deep in the woods, just to see what I thought of it after a repeat viewing. I took the DVD round to my friends and we all watched it. We all had the same reaction - we loved it! The story is superb, the acting is great and the film that introduces a screen legend like Bruce Campbell is a must-see for anyone!

The film really grips you especially when the first possession becomes evident. That truly is a creepy scene. Some people call this film silly (IMO that is the sequel - but that is the point of the sequel, whereas Evil Dead is supposed to be a horror film and it truly succeeds!).

This film has now piqued my interest in trying to track down some of the other `video nasties'. As well as that I have now well and truly been won over to the Evil Dead series (I had played all the computer games and decided to give this a shot due to the immense enjoyment playing the games - however I digress....). Sam Raimi is a superb director, as evident by such decent films as Darkman, Spiderman 1 and 2 (lets not mention 3) and A Simple Plan.

My conclusion: Buy this film and witness the birth of an acting legend (Brucie), a Directing legend (Sammie) and a truly enGROSSing series of films. I highly recommend the sequels as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2009 9:12 PM BST

Chili Con Carnage (PSP)
Chili Con Carnage (PSP)

2.0 out of 5 stars Be very cautious about this game, 5 Jun 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game was one of the reasons I bought the PSP slim for. The gameplay was brilliant and I really enjoyed what I have seen so far of the game. There is however one major flaw for me and that is I couldn't get beyond level 2-1. After defeating the mad `Mama' with her demented chickens I saved the game and switched it off for the night. The next night I switched the PSP back on and loaded up the game only to find that when the load indicator reached half way it stopped loading and then the whole PSP switched itself off. After several attempts the same thing happened, so I ordered a second copy of the game from a different store. With the same results. I then tried my friends PSP, which is one of the old style systems, and it worked fine.
I reached my conclusion that it had to be the PSP, so I returned it to the store I purchased it from and picked up a new one only to find that it also couldn't play the game and the same thing was happening. Feeling defeated I returned to the store to get yet another PSP and the SAME result was achieved. The only conclusion I can now reach is that either all the PSP's from the shop are faulty or that the game (being one of the earliest PSP games available) is not compatible with the newer PSP slim model.
Worth noting, is that all other games worked fine on the PSP systems with the exception of this game.
Very disappointed, as really enjoyed what I had played up to that point. The game would have been 4 or 5 stars for me, but due to this problem it has to be only 2 stars
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2008 8:27 AM BST

Just Cause (PS2)
Just Cause (PS2)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC
Price: 8.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of glitchey badness, 6 Dec 2006
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Cause (PS2) (Video Game)
One of the best Playstation ONE games

No I have not made a mistake with that statement, it would have been, had it been released in 1999, rather than 2006 and also if it wasn't so full of glitches.

I was lured by all the decent reviews this game had on this site and the various computer game magazines, only to discover I had seriously wasted my time and money.

Starting up the game I watched the first cut scene, noting it was similar in quality to old PS1 games and not of the usual standard of cut scenes now witnessed in PS2 games. After launching from the plane I was impressed with how vast the island looked, until my character fell to earth (along myself, except that unlike him I landed with a thud). I noticed how poor quality the graphics of the characters were, as when you first land it is amidst the heat of battle. The enemy were square shaped and showed little to no AI, which has become the norm for most similar games. Also the gameplay and controls are seriously clunky. Plus the auto-targeting system is one of the most inferior and inaccurate I have ever come across.

After completing the first mission my character went on his way on a motorbike, only to end up falling off the bike and have it stuck beside a tree. After eventually getting back on the bike I crashed the bike accidentally and walked my character over to pick it up, only to have him hurl it into the air as it he was the Incredible Hulk. It then landed several feet behind exploding, leaving him stranded in the jungle. After walking the character to the nearest road he got in a car and I accidentally tapped jump, causing the character to jump on to the roof of the car. Pressing jump again he landed in the sea. Jumping on to the roof of a car as if it was a surf board is not a clever design feature IMO.

Running up a mountain my character became stuck, I was then able to get him to walk at a 90 degree angle from the ground around the mountain, it is glitches like this and the general rushed feel to this game that have made me dislike it so much, as it truly was an excellent concept.

When fighting the enemy I noticed both the main character and enemy could walk on invisible platforms when he moved to the side of existing platforms. For several paces he was walking through the air. Upon completing the second mission and escaping on a boat I accidentally pressed the jump button twice and jumped off the boat. I then got the character to swim next to an enemy boat and go into the boat, magically expelling all the enemies into the sea. Considering the standards of modern gaming, this doesn't even come close. Interaction with other characters is non-existent, although to be fair I have since abandoned the game as I didn't want to waste any more time on it.

Not recommended. Others users state that it "grows" on you if given half a chance. I gave it a whole chance and even games that I have found completely rubbish (Wreckless the Yakuza Mission) have at least had better graphics than this going for them.

The Godfather Limited Edition [2 Disc Set] (PS2)
The Godfather Limited Edition [2 Disc Set] (PS2)
Offered by mr__shackleford
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An authentic gaming experience, 27 Nov 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Being a fan of the Godfather films and free roaming games I had to buy this, although I did wait until it was cheaper to purchase as I had read some rather bad or average reviews about this game in various PS2 magazines. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to find that this game really deserves to be associated with the films.

The first thing I noted was the decent graphics of the game, perhaps not the most advanced on PS2, but still quite realistic. The voice actors who were not original cast members all did a good job (although Michael Corleone looks and sounds nothing like Al Pacino in the film as another reviewer pointed out). It was great hearing James Cann and Robert Duvall amongst others, in the game.

You start off in the game with a prequel to the main game that establishes the origins of the main character and his allegiance to the Corleone family. It then jumps multiple years forward allowing the player to customise the main characters facial features, clothes, etc and also to give him his own name. This helps to bring the character closer to the player and you really want to help him achieve his revenge by helping the Corleone family wipe out the rival families and take over all their various rackets.

This game, like most free roaming games now, will always be compared to the Grand Theft Auto games (Namely Vice City). It pleased me to find that this game can hold it's own against even Vice City. This is the first game I have found can be compared fairly to it. It is not better than Vice City, but it is nearly as good and that is not a statement I could ever imagine saying. The missions are quite similar but due to the feeling of authenticity and the period setting makes it seem like a world apart, but really adds to the overall mood of the game. Like Vice City you really gel with the characters and if one betrays the `family' you do really regret having to dispatch them.

I would say the film is recommended viewing before playing the game, as it does help to understand some of the story and gives you a better idea of the characters involved.

This was a game I could not stop playing, every free minute I had was spent on this game and it was a game I really enjoyed. I have so far managed to clock up over forty hours of gameplay over the past week and I can see it lasting for a good while yet, even though I have completed all the story missions and nearly all the sub-missions. Repeat playability definitely exists with this game, maybe not to the same extent as Vice City, but it is still there.

The gameplay is quite free roaming, but again not to the extent of the Grand Theft Auto games, but this doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Having experienced the blandness of the game Mafia for PS2 I was pleased to finally play a period Mob game with fast driving cars (who cares about a vast selection of cars, this game is played for the story and the thrill of completing the missions, if you want a game full of different cars, buy a racing game) and decent gameplay that followed a system similar to the GTA games (you build an empire by buying property for safe houses and taking over opposing families' rackets and extorting businesses, which is great fun as none are ever the same and some of them can be really tough).

This is an essential purchase for all free roaming, crime game fans. It is good to see a film license game that actually works and remains loyal to the film without being just a re-hash of the film or to feature characters nothing like those in the film (obviously the exception here is Michael Coleone).

The main faults I found with the game were: Not being able to shoot while driving, which would have come in handy had it been done the same as the GTA games, long load and save times (not the end of the world) and I only came across one glitch (the car my character was driving bounced against the side of a building and floated into the air, disappearing with the main character reappearing on the street unscaved).

The cityscape of the game is vast, but not as much as GTA San Andreas or Just Cause, but still enough to make it a joy to drive around.

I highly recommend this game.

Michigan Report From Hell (PS2)
Michigan Report From Hell (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting game, but too short, 27 Nov 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Now this is one of the slightly more expensive budget titles. The game is interesting and combines the camera elements of Project Zero with the creatures of the Thing. There are some genuinely creepy moments in this game.

It states on the back of the box that there is over 15 hours of gameplay, that is misleading as I completed it in about 4 to 5 hours. Most of the gaming involves either watching the video clips in the game unfold or being moved around by the game. It states that by pressing the triangular button you get to stop filming and are able to help, this is only the case when prompted to do so. This is a very linear game with bad voice acting (Tony Blair as Brisco? Yep it sure sounds like him), awful vocal animation (the speech is not even slightly in sync with the voice movements), but it has to be said that the animation is decent though.

There is also supposed to be an immoral or erotic element to the game (after each stage you get a rating for how each report went and where you focused the camera). Trying the best I could to get an immoral or erotic rating it always seemed to get a suspenseful rating meaning the game follows a suspenseful storyline.

The reporters get killed off very easily, but there never seems to be a shortage of replacements, even though the whole town has become infected.

I was pleasantly surprised by this game and all in all I would rate is a average. One of the things that lifted the rating for me was the uniqueness of the overall game and the surprise, creepy ending.

Recommended to fans of the Thing game and games with atmosphere.

Daemon Summoner (PS2)
Daemon Summoner (PS2)
Offered by funfair games
Price: 0.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than some budget games, 23 Nov 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Daemon Summoner (PS2) (Video Game)
Daemon Summoner is actually an average first person shooter that reminded me (very slightly) of Darkwatch. The graphics aren't that bad and the gameplay is pretty decent too.

The controls are very basic and the first weapon you have fires stakes at a snails pace and means you have to run backwards if you at first miss an enemy.

The Victorian London streets are very well rendered, as are the London sewers (although that part of the game is slightly aggravating as each corner you turn looks the same), but the game creates decent atmosphere when at times you turn corners right into the path of a zombie.

When playing I managed to escape the sewers and then came across two vampires. Each creature is shot according to their lore, i.e. zombies have their heads blown off and vampires are shot in the chest area.

The character you play is tracing his vampiric wife in order to destroy her, but the problem with this game is that the path is not properly laid out for the player and I was left walking round the Victorian London streets trying to locate his former wife, hearing only laughter at certain points. As a result I could not progress with the game and ended up leaving it.

As far as budget games go, this is by far one of the best I have played and I do recommend it if you have a tenner to spare.

Zombie Attack (PS2)
Zombie Attack (PS2)
Offered by Game World United Kingdom
Price: 15.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to say the least, 23 Nov 2006
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zombie Attack (PS2) (Video Game)
Zombie Attack is an odd game. The zombie shown on the front looks decent and menacing, yet the zombies faced in the game all wear traditional Oriental clothing and are more like ghosts than zombies. The controls are ok, but all the missions are the same, rescue people from an abandoned shopping mall and defeat the zombies, ensuring the people rescued are not attacked. There are also some huge bosses, but they are all easily defeated and the game becomes boring after the first level.

It's an ok game perhaps more suited for younger children than the 12 plus rating indicates, as very much like old mega drive games than PS2 games.

An ok game that I am glad I bought at a budget price, but could have done without.

killer7 (PS2)
killer7 (PS2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Defies description, 26 Oct 2006
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: killer7 (PS2) (Video Game)
If there was a genre of games called "rubbish waste of time shooter" then this would define the genre along with Twin Calibre. The second you read reviews be it about games or DVDs that includes the statement 'some people won't get it' you know you've stumbled upon something pointless.

This game is indeed pointless, the aim is never completely obvious and this detracts from any enjoyment the game may bring. There is also a Sadomasochistic theme running throughout the game. The tutorial teaches you nothing and the irritating code language the tutor speaks in only infuriates.

The graphics are interesting, but even they failed to grip my attention for long. I can't say I'm that bothered about not "getting" the game, as I seriously doubt there is even meant to be a point to it and the people that say otherwise are only deluding themselves.

If you want a game that is different and inventive try something like Rez or Darkwatch, but give this as wide a berth as you possibly can.

Lord of Darkness from Legend
Lord of Darkness from Legend

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing figure, rubbish packaging, 10 Oct 2006
This review is from: Lord of Darkness from Legend (Toy)
Now this figure is immense, I've waited for something like this since I first saw Legend at my best friends house in about 1990/1991. After that I collected some of the resin model kits available, all seemed to fail in representing the likeness of the film character, this was also the case with the McFarlane toys figure as well. Everything with that figure is great except the face IMO.

Well I bought this figure a few weeks before it was released because the shop I bought it from had to return nearly the entire shipment bar 2, due to broken bodies, snapped horns, etc. This figure looked amazing standing menacingly tall in it's 2ft tall box, plus it is the heaviest figure I've purchased. What instantly struck me though was that the box was VERY flimsy and lacked enough support for such a large, heavy figure. As a result the box was quite damaged when received, which seems to be the case for most. The horns had also torn through the plastic, but were so substantial it did not cause a problem to the figure.

Upon removing the figure from the box I was impressed with the quality of the cloak and the fact that they really had captured the detail of the face. The 2 superficial problems I noticed with the figure were that the cloak attachment to the right arm was out of it's socket and could not be put back in, which looks odd when displayed. Worse still I noticed the opened left hand had two broken claws. None of these faults were visible from the front of the box (as it was the pinky and ring finger of the opened hand). I was going to take it back to the shop but I feared I would be unable to get another one, so I just stuck with it. I hoped to maybe glue the two claws back on to the figures hand, but one of them was missing from the box.

Another fault was the sound feature was not working and is placed under the cloak at the shoulders and is more or less impossible to open to change the batteries. I am unsure whether any batteries were already present, but to check them runs the risk of snapping the hard plastic cloak (because it is so heavy and the way it is attached to the body).

The accessories (Unicorns horn and The Great Sword) were all fantastic, although the paint job on the jewels of the great sword rubs off the instant it is touched. The mechanism to allow Darkness to hold the sword is the same as the McFarlane figures sword. The end of the sword is unscrewed and placed in the hand and then screwed back on. When I unscrewed it I noticed it was broken, but I was still able to place the sword in his hand. However after 6 months of having the figure on display the sword has now snapped completely and is unfixable. No excessive force was used on the sword, it literally just fell apart.

I really do wish to stress this figure is amazing, the sculpt is of a very high quality and it is probably the best likeness possible. I would give it 11 stars out of 5 if I could, but it is let down by cheap, flimsy packaging and cheaply made accessories. Had the packaging been seriously more substantial I doubt the broken claws or loose cloak would have happened. And a suggestion would be to have placed the batteries at the lower back, which would have been easier to access.

I thought it was just the shop I had bought it from that had a faulty shipment, but it actually appears to have been a similar situation elsewhere. Of note as well is the shop I bought it from had to remove it from the box to check if it was damaged. It could be that the damaged claws occurred due to this. Either way I was disappointed in some ways, but not in others, as the figure is fantastic.

Urban Chaos: Riot Response (PS2)
Urban Chaos: Riot Response (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent FPS, 27 July 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly if you buy this game and it is unsealed, don't worry, it's meant to be unsealed, for some reason Eidos games tend to remain unsealed.

The story is you are Nick Mason a one man army for T-Zero (there are other members, but it's all about Nick Mason) in what is a typical saccharin sweet American game. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, it's just a bit stereotypical to say the least. You have to take down the Burner gang that is destroying the city. Cue lots of violence, swearing and extremely irritating taunts the most annoying being the Burners that shout "Die Mason" as if they are singing it (just listen to the way they say it and hold the word 'die' for a few moments). Alot of the others sound like they are shouting playground taunts. Generally the Burners are just annoying, but the one that is a bit creepy is the one that slices you with a chainsaw, it's not helped by the Jason Voorheesesque masks they all wear, they add to the faceless creepiness they all have.

The sound is good and clear, the graphics are quite bright, but nothing spectacular. The gameplay is easy to master and the weapons are excellent, especially the upgraded taser, giving you the option to incapacitate them or fry them. What is annoying about this game is allies walking in front of your guns while you are shooting the enemy and having to rescue civilians with a time limit. Not to mention having to be accompanied on certain missions can be annoying as they tend to attract the enemies firepower, even though the ally is essential for that particular mission.

Elements of this game reminded me of XIII, which is a good thing.

Replay value is most definitely there, as you can achieve more medals resulting in upgrades for existing weapons or sometimes new weapons, new modes, armour, new levels, etc. Plus you can replay the levels to achieve better results, such as incapacitating 30 Burners or getting 30 (or 40) headshots and so on.

I also meant to say the shield is a great weapon able to stave off immense firepower or enabling you to approach the enemy for a brutal kill.

Overall I did really like this game as the senseless bit of fun it is, and my quibbles with the game are quite minor and don't detract from the overall enjoyment of the game.

Recommended.