Profile for P. A. Tonkin > Reviews

P. A. Tonkin (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Salamander CT50+ Twin Shower Pump with Isolators 1.5 bar, Positive Head
Salamander CT50+ Twin Shower Pump with Isolators 1.5 bar, Positive Head

1.0 out of 5 stars Had one of these installed by a qualified plumber 20 ..., 29 Aug. 2015
Had one of these installed by a qualified plumber 20 months ago & it jammed and burnt out 5 days ago. Previously we had a Stewart Turner that lasted us 13 years. No guessing regarding what type of pump we've now fitted again!! (No, not a Salamander!)

Scholl Fungal Nail Treatment 3.8ml
Scholl Fungal Nail Treatment 3.8ml

2.0 out of 5 stars I tried using this product diligently for over 2 years ..., 31 May 2015
I tried using this product diligently for over 2 years. Some improvement resulted but nothing permanent. However after 9mths using a (slightly cheaper) Boots "Fungal nail treatment solution" I have finally cleared both the nails on my big toes completely!! My impression is that the Boots product was really absorbed into the nail surface (and surrounding nail bed) whereas the Scholl product, being more of a lacquer, simply "sat" of the surface of the nail and failed to "wet out" the previously abraded nail surface!! .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2015 9:27 AM BST

Where is Moldova NEW Compact Edition with new Question
Where is Moldova NEW Compact Edition with new Question
Offered by The Happy Puzzle Company

1.0 out of 5 stars Much more fun!!, 26 Dec. 2014
4 of us tried playing on Christmas day. Perhaps we'd had too much Xmas cheer .. but as fairly seasoned gamers we found the game complicated with just too many rules. We gave up in the end and played Scrabble. Much more fun!!

Shell [DVD]
Shell [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joseph Mawle
Offered by vivaverve

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moving!, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Shell [DVD] (DVD)
A wonderful & sensitive piece of film making. Beautiful photography with lots of long lingering takes of the Scottish highlands. Superb performances from Chloe Pirrie & Joseph Mawle, touching on a difficult subject. The kind of gentle, poetic & understated film making unknown to Hollywood!!

The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam

2.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles required!, 13 May 2014
Unless you were born north of the border you'll struggle to understand the youthful gang of four without resorting to subtitles. Occasionally mildy amusing but I found the plot, particuarly in the 2nd half of the film rather implausible. I also found it next to impossible to feel any empathy with the central character.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 5 May 2014
Does an excellent job of keeping my Sennheiser phones looking tidy & to hand on the desk. The stand is expensive for what it is BUT is undeniably stylish and very well engineered. As someone else has observed, however the cable tidy on the base of the stand simply is not practical. I loop my cable around the top of the stand before hanging the phones & this works quite well.

Tabu [Blu-ray]
Tabu [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Teresa Madruga
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm no stranger to slow arty films but........., 29 April 2014
This review is from: Tabu [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I found this tale of romantic goings on in the jungle, to be a quite exceptionally tedious & boring movie!

Incendies [DVD] (2010)
Incendies [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Lubna Azabal

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but flawed, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Incendies [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
A gritty and gripping tale of religous conflict & intolerance. Very much enjoyed even if the essence of the tale was bordering on being implausible. One significant(?) flaw was the ethnicity of the protagonist's son. Without adding a spoiler, this was just not right. A shame. They could have easily sorted this out in the original casting. However, I definitely recommend viewing!

The Pregnant Widow
The Pregnant Widow
by Martin Amis

1.0 out of 5 stars Cynical twaddle!, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Pregnant Widow (Paperback)
Quite the most tedious book I've tried reading (I gave up around p.50) since "The Finkler question". I felt no engagement whatsovever with any of the characters. The book is cold & cynical in style with no real plot. I'll stick with modern authors who offer intelligent plots, empathy & humour thank you, such as; William Boyd, David Lodge, Ian McEwen & Julian Barnes

Heat [DVD] [1995]
Heat [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars About as subtle as a sledgehammer!, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Heat [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
I'd clearly failed to do my homework properly. I had been hoping for an intelligent bank heist movie. Instead I got Pacino & De Niro as a couple of stereotypical bad ass jerks, with a lot of gratuitous violence & people's faces being blown off. John Voight mumbled magnificantly & could have been speaking Serbo Croat for all I care. Glossy Hollywood fodder!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4