Profile for P. A. Tonkin > Reviews

Shell [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joseph Mawle
Price: 14.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moving!, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Shell [DVD] (DVD)
A wonderful & sensitive piece of film making. Beautiful photography with lots of long lingering takes of the Scottish highlands. Superb performances from Chloe Pirrie & Joseph Mawle, touching on a difficult subject. The kind of gentle, poetic & understated film making unknown to Hollywood!!

The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 3.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles required!, 13 May 2014
Unless you were born north of the border you'll struggle to understand the youthful gang of four without resorting to subtitles. Occasionally mildy amusing but I found the plot, particuarly in the 2nd half of the film rather implausible. I also found it next to impossible to feel any empathy with the central character.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 5 May 2014
Does an excellent job of keeping my Sennheiser phones looking tidy & to hand on the desk. The stand is expensive for what it is BUT is undeniably stylish and very well engineered. As someone else has observed, however the cable tidy on the base of the stand simply is not practical. I loop my cable around the top of the stand before hanging the phones & this works quite well.

Tabu [Blu-ray]
Tabu [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Teresa Madruga
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 17.38

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm no stranger to slow arty films but........., 29 April 2014
This review is from: Tabu [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I found this tale of romantic goings on in the jungle, to be a quite exceptionally tedious & boring movie!

Incendies [DVD] (2010)
Incendies [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Lubna Azabal
Price: 7.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but flawed, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Incendies [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
A gritty and gripping tale of religous conflict & intolerance. Very much enjoyed even if the essence of the tale was bordering on being implausible. One significant(?) flaw was the ethnicity of the protagonist's son. Without adding a spoiler, this was just not right. A shame. They could have easily sorted this out in the original casting. However, I definitely recommend viewing!

The Pregnant Widow
The Pregnant Widow
by Martin Amis
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Cynical twaddle!, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Pregnant Widow (Paperback)
Quite the most tedious book I've tried reading (I gave up around p.50) since "The Finkler question". I felt no engagement whatsovever with any of the characters. The book is cold & cynical in style with no real plot. I'll stick with modern authors who offer intelligent plots, empathy & humour thank you, such as; William Boyd, David Lodge, Ian McEwen & Julian Barnes

Heat [DVD] [1995]
Heat [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 3.75

2.0 out of 5 stars About as subtle as a sledgehammer!, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Heat [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
I'd clearly failed to do my homework properly. I had been hoping for an intelligent bank heist movie. Instead I got Pacino & De Niro as a couple of stereotypical bad ass jerks, with a lot of gratuitous violence & people's faces being blown off. John Voight mumbled magnificantly & could have been speaking Serbo Croat for all I care. Glossy Hollywood fodder!!

Dinner Rush [DVD] [2002]
Dinner Rush [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Danny Aiello
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 5.11

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst films I've ever seen!!, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dinner Rush [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Sloppy film making. (microphones & booms appear in several shots). Mediocre acting. Subtitles required if you're a Brit. A restaurant kitchen that looks distinctly unappealing. A rambling structure. I guess if you are an Italian American this movie might appeal but I regret the 98 minutes of my life I spent watching it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2013 2:24 PM GMT

Homeland - Season 2 [DVD]
Homeland - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis
Price: 14.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb drama!!, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Homeland - Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
If only the Beeb could manage to produce drama of this quality. Their last effort "Hunted" was pathetic!. Anyway, once again simply stunning performances from Lewis & Danes plus supporting cast. An intelligent thriller and about as good as it gets in my view!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 10:57 PM GMT

Hunted - Series 1 [DVD]
Hunted - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Melissa George
Price: 9.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance!!, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hunted - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Wooden acting with a ridiculous and implausible plot. No wonder the Beeb have decided to can the 2nd series. Do yourself a favour & watch some serious, intelligent and well made drama such as; Homeland, The Bridge, The Killing etc.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 9:32 PM GMT