Profile for P. A. Tonkin > Reviews

Dinner Rush [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Danny Aiello
Offered by Discs4all

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst films I've ever seen!!, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dinner Rush [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Sloppy film making. (microphones & booms appear in several shots). Mediocre acting. Subtitles required if you're a Brit. A restaurant kitchen that looks distinctly unappealing. A rambling structure. I guess if you are an Italian American this movie might appeal but I regret the 98 minutes of my life I spent watching it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2013 2:24 PM GMT

Homeland - Season 2 [DVD]
Homeland - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb drama!!, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Homeland - Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
If only the Beeb could manage to produce drama of this quality. Their last effort "Hunted" was pathetic!. Anyway, once again simply stunning performances from Lewis & Danes plus supporting cast. An intelligent thriller and about as good as it gets in my view!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 10:57 PM GMT

Hunted - Series 1 [DVD]
Hunted - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Melissa George
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance!!, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Hunted - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Wooden acting with a ridiculous and implausible plot. No wonder the Beeb have decided to can the 2nd series. Do yourself a favour & watch some serious, intelligent and well made drama such as; Homeland, The Bridge, The Killing etc.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2015 8:11 PM BST

Sym 35 / Sym 40 / Sym 41: Essential Classics
Sym 35 / Sym 40 / Sym 41: Essential Classics

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, 9 Nov. 2012
Recent reviews suggest the recent Mackerras/SCO recording to be the gold standard. Not for me however. Whilst the Mackerras 40 & 41 may be beautifully recorded, I find them strangely cold & without real emotion. By contrast & whilst a relatively old analogue recording, I find Szell & the Cleveland SO offering much more; warm, sensitive, intense & articulate. No contest!!

Fulton Mens Stowaway 23 Supermini Folding Umbrella
Fulton Mens Stowaway 23 Supermini Folding Umbrella
Offered by Neptune Wares

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 20 Oct. 2012
I wish I hadn't bothered! Compared to my last compact brolly which self erected at the push of a button, this is rubbish. Cheap mechanism that requires a lot of "help" to get the brolly up and the handle is too short to be comfortable in use. As soon as I can find a serious quality replacement brolly, this is going straight in the bin.
Unless you enjoy tat, I wouldn't bother!

The Finkler Question
The Finkler Question
by Howard Jacobson

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious!!, 29 April 2012
This review is from: The Finkler Question (Paperback)
OK if you ARE Jewish, this book will probably be a real hoot. I'm not & much as I enjoy moderate doses of the type of Jewish angst you find in Woody Allen movies, this proved too much. Much too much. Page after page after page of self obsessing & paranoia about what it means to be Jewish, in a novel which really has no plot to speak of.
I was repeatedly reminded of the Christopher Hitchens quote; "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 4:54 PM BST

The Brain is Wider Than the Sky: Why Simple Solutions Don't Work in a Complex World
by Bryan Appleyard

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply thought provoking!!, 30 Mar. 2012
A wonderfully thought provoking sequence of essays. Ignore foolish & ill informed remarks from 1 previous reviewer.
One of the most interesting things I've read in a long time!!

McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland
McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland
by Pete McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully funny!!, 1 Dec. 2011
This lovely book has just displaced "French Revolutions" as the funniest book I've ever read. As others have warned, be careful reading this in public places. You'll be tittering & guffawing uncontrollably.
I've even taken the trouble to plot out on a map (as best I could) the route that Pete took.
An Irish holiday beckons!!

Through the Language Glass: Why The World Looks Different In Other Languages
Through the Language Glass: Why The World Looks Different In Other Languages
by Guy Deutscher

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but................, 1 Dec. 2011
Certainly an interesting & accessible little book. However, as other reviewers have noted, I felt that several interesting topics (Colour nomenclature especially) were padded out with far too many historical anecdotes. Some promises in a sense were also not met. Does speaking German really imbue speakers with a sense of logic & those of French with a sense of romantic idealism. I'm also not sure if the basic "mould vs cloak" debate with regard to Saphir-Whorfism was really explored. It would also have been fascinating to have had some debate around the famous Wittgenstein quote that "The limits of language are the limits of my world" and thus where that leaves the whole range of ineffable sensory experiences that we all have. Then again no mention around the ideas expounded by Pinker & Fodor regarding "Mentalese" or the "language of thought". I personally certainly don't feel that I "think" in English, my mother tongue.

Maybe Guy Deutscher's NEXT book could address some of these issues??

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!!, 8 Oct. 2011
If (for some bizarre reason!) I was told that I could only keep ONE material possesion in my life....this would be it!! A glorious piece of precision engineering for about £[]. I've had several & always have a spare. Air travel apart, I ALWAYS keep one of these in my trouser pocket. 1001 uses. I've owned (& own) some of the the larger versions with more blades & gizmos but frankly IMHO this strikes the perfect balance of functionality & size.
It just amazes that most people seem to be able live without one of these wonderful little tools.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4