Profile for Customer > Reviews

And the Mountains Echoed
by Khaled Hosseini
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book - but you have to be patient!, 8 Sep 2013
Okay let me start off by saying that I agree with many of the reviews already written. I found the book great, a bit annoying, a bit confusing, sad, happy etc.

Spoiler alert!!
I think this book (unlike Hoseini's two previous books) requires a bit more attention, in terms of how you view the characters by themselves, with each other, and against the whole story and story and plot line itself.
We start off by hearing the story of Pari being given away to another family. Abdullah is heartbroken, but we never really find out how much (or little) until the end of the book. Instead, the book moves around from person to person explaining how their lives are panning out, contrary to what they thought, and what you might have thought they would.

I, personally, think too many reviewers are focused on why the "main plot" (Pari and Abdullah) was abandoned, where I thought the book represented the themes 'responsibility, owning up to your word, different kinds of trust, of love, ignorance, how we view our own life compared to others' - and here we are introduced to many characters that represent these themes and show us how it works out/or doesn't.
I'll admit it was at times confusing. Who's this person now? Wait, what happened to that person?
And the ending is a bit flat considering that there were many unanswered questions.
BUT I think that that all ties together with the main themes, and that this book only offers a look into people's lives rather than their whole life story. There is never full closure, as there is never full closure in life, you might say.

I would recommend it to people who didn't find this review totally boring and overanalytic :D haha
And most of all, to people who love Hoseini's descriptive nature, and enjoy reading about a different culture, (now, in this book) also compared to your own.

Hound of the Baskervilles
Hound of the Baskervilles
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars With distant howling in the moors, 19 Nov 2012
I - like the reviewer before me - happened to watch the bbc version staring Jeremy Brett, finding it more and more interesting as I kept watching. I think this story - as many of Doyle's stories are - is very much like the series (or probably the other way around!). A relative gave me the complete works, and I decided to read this tale first, seeing as it is a classic. Now I have always been very patient when it comes to books' action levels; meaning, I do not need constant drama and car chases to keep me going. I found that after I read some of his other stories, that this was my favorite. It paints such a lovely dreary and cold picture of the surroundings (being moors and marshes), and the plot itself slowly moves along (at least) keeping me interested.

I would not recommend this to people who need fast paced books - which is perfectly alright - but I would high recommend it as a good sunday read, for people who enjoy to sit back and mull over Holmes' sarcastic and somewhat offensive, yet clever comments, and Watson's descriptive narrative. Obviously the mystery itself is exciting and you find yourself continuously reading to find out "who did it". But, what I enjoyed the most was the relationship between the "couple" and their adventure through the strange Baskerville heritage.

No Man's Land
No Man's Land
by Harold Pinter
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite an ominous tale!, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: No Man's Land (Paperback)
I happened to stumble upon this online and thought I'd give it a shot. At first I was not so impressed; finding it hard to understand - not the language, which is fairly easy. I found the plot itself and the interaction between the characters confusing. I was not great at analysis in school (and not punctuation either - as you can see), but I decided to give it another try.

After my second attempt, analyzing as I went, I realized how compelling the characters actually were. They're all rude and tiresome, annoying and confusing... yet somehow I found their development (or perhaps lack thereof) enliven the plot. Some lines seem pointless at first, but make complete sense when gazing at the entire picture. If you enjoy having to analyze a bit (or maybe you won't have to), and find a story about a group of men all different, trying to disrupt each other's lives, then read No Man's Land. It is inspiring and haunting with a tad of sarcastic humor. Some might say it is boring and confusing, though I am positive that it can bring great inspiration to aspirating writers - being one myself. Perhaps 5 stars is a bit extreme, yet I find that it needs more than three or four - yet, this is merely my personal opinion. I wrote in the title that it was "ominous", and what do I mean? I guess I was going for the feeling I had when reading it. There is something about the insanity that slowly overcomes every character that signaled that the outcome could only be bad. I am not going to write exactly what happens, because it is difficult to describe - it can only be experienced.

Harold Pinter is a somewhat forgotten artist, but surely deserves the same remembrance as any classic playwright!