Profile for William Cohen > Reviews

4 packs of Nature Babycare Maxi PULL-UPS (4 x 22 pull-ups) Size 4
4 packs of Nature Babycare Maxi PULL-UPS (4 x 22 pull-ups) Size 4
Offered by Beaming Baby

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat but expensive, 6 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We put our baby in these nappies when he reached 8kg, but I think he was still a bit too small because we were in Mothercare where he was trying out a baby car and we saw a trickle down his leg which turned into a puddle on the floor. We sorted it with a few wet wipes and made a hasty exit. My wife was sceptical, because she thought the fact we had to put his legs through the holes would mean the contents would smear on his feet. But this didn't happen.

My wife liked the look and feel of them on him, but found the language on the packet didn't really state clearly whether they were biodegradable. She felt she had to do some more research into what made them so much better than other brands.

Sistema Rice Steamer, Red
Sistema Rice Steamer, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 2 Jun. 2015
I was a bit sceptical at first, but this product has increased our quality of rice. It's a simple principle. Add your rice and water and pop it in the microwave. 12 minutes later you get fluffy rice - which given we were getting sludgy rice in our saucepan, is a great blessing. For the price it's a bargain.

The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Journey to Wholeness
The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Journey to Wholeness
by Kurtz

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spiritual Classic, 2 Jun. 2015
Ernest Kurtz is an expert in the history of Alcoholics Anonymous and this is a collection of spiritual insights, drawn from many religious traditions. The commentary that links them all together is compelling and I found I had to take breaks to absorb the profundity of the text. There are some very deep and powerful ideas in the book which are likely to influence your attitude to the world. I'll treasure it on my bookcase.

Not God: A History of Alcoholics Anonymous
Not God: A History of Alcoholics Anonymous
by Ernest Kurtz

5.0 out of 5 stars AA as a revival of forgotten religious ideas, 15 May 2015
Ernest Kurtz died earlier this year so it was a good time to pick up his book. I loved it. It's got so many interesting insights in to how AA was founded and how it works. It's also about how organisations evolve and change. Kurtz puts in lots of intelligent commentary on the intellectual and religious ideas that have shaped the organisation.

I'm not even an alcoholic and I found it fascinating!

Like Crazy [DVD]
Like Crazy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Felicity Jones
Offered by Entertainment Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars The illusions of young love, 23 April 2015
This review is from: Like Crazy [DVD] (DVD)
This film took a while to get going - the first 45 minutes just seemed like prosaic reality. Then when the relationship began to fall apart it became more engaging and by the end I felt it was a very moving film about falling in love with love, emotional 'baggage' and the delusions of young lovers. It's not really very romantic, it's acutely sad at times. My wife and I enjoyed it and we found the soundtrack quite melancholy. It's very art house, but we like that sort of thing.

The Ten Commandments: How Our Most Ancient Moral Text Can Renew Modern Life
The Ten Commandments: How Our Most Ancient Moral Text Can Renew Modern Life
by David Hazony

4.0 out of 5 stars A Modern and Personal Perspective, 7 April 2015
This is a very accessible commentary on the Ten Commandments. Mr Hazony writes well and gives useful insights into how the commandments remain relevant to contemporary society. Lines like 'Thou shalt not steal' actually might have meant 'kidnap a person' and we learn about the implications of this.

Hazony encourages us to embody the 'redemptive spirit' rather than striving for moral perfection. He points out unexpected truths like the fact that David's love for Bathsheba was an illicit love that brought division to his kingdom. Still, the fruit of their union was Solomon - one of the greatest leaders of Israel. I like these kinds of book because they make me more familiar with Bible stories, and give me ideas that enrich my spiritual life.

Moses as Political Leader
Moses as Political Leader
by Aaron Wildabsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Leadership Wisdom, 24 Mar. 2015
A wonderful book about Moses as a leader who had to deal with dictatorship, anarchy, equity and hierarchy. Wildavsky writes beautifully and explains how Moses managed the different parts of his political career. I was reading something on ConservativeHome the other day and I could immediately see the 'hierarchy' model in action, which Wildavsky describes.

Yoram Hazony writes the introduction and champions the idea that the Bible has plenty to teach us about political theory. I agree. Wildavsky tells us there is no perfect leadership system, but studying the life of Moses does help you see the challenges with clarity.

Drop the Rock: Removing Character Defects
Drop the Rock: Removing Character Defects
by Bill P.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good insights here, 24 Mar. 2015
I hoped it would be as brilliant as Shais Taub's God of Our Understanding - I don't think it is. 'Drop the Rock' is a great metaphor and I read the book and picked up some lessons. Useful, but not classic AA literature.

Silver Linings Playbook [DVD]
Silver Linings Playbook [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars A Film about Healing, 2 Mar. 2015
Two dysfunctional characters run into each other. They connect, but they're so messed up, they can't escape their own obsessions. By learning to build a relationship with each other, they start to get better perspectives and more grounded expectations. The film creates a persuasive portrait of mental illness, and how it can be overcome. Dancing has a part to play - and I can vouch for how it can soothe fears and mend relationships.

Bradley Cooper is fun and Jennifer Lawrence is sexy. A life-affirming film.

Seen & Heard: Conversations and commentary on contemporary communication in politics,in the media and from around the world
by Max Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Britain's Most Distinguished Political Communications Expert, 8 Jan. 2015
Wry, witty and opinionated: Max Atkinson writes as well as the very best political commentators.

The first articles featured in this book were written in 2008. It seems that the rise of Obama inspired Dr Atkinson to analyse the rhetorical techniques which put the first black man in the White House.

Indeed the rise of Obama illustrated the effectiveness of many stylistic devices that Dr Atkinson identified during many years of academic research into why audiences applaud politicians.

From 2008 to 2014, author observed the key speeches being made around the world and he gave his own thumbs up or thumbs down.

He praised Joanna Lumley, David Cameron and regularly marvels at Obama.

He tells Melvyn Bragg off for speaking too quickly, he criticises Sky's Adam Boulton for umming and erring and he muses on whether Rowan Williams' awful sermons, including one example of a 147-word sentence, is part of a Papist plot, backed by Tony Blair, to discredit the Church of England.

Ayd Instone has done a great job putting together this anthology which is full of wisdom. If you're in the business of political communication, you'll find yourself thumbing through it on a regular basis.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20