Profile for William Cohen > Reviews

Quai d'Orsay
Dvd ~ Thierry Lhermitte
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars A Film about Speechwriting, 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: Quai d'Orsay (DVD)
This is droll film examining the trials and tribulations of a French speechwriter. In fact it goes into almost all the intellectual, moral and practical problems faced by political speechwriters.

A boss obsessed with three-part lists (legitimacy, unity and efficiency), ministerial advisors putting their oar in, a leak to a journalist sabotaging the whole process, it's all extremely authentic.

It's funny, and at the same time it says something about how Government ministers and civil servants can be heroic. The minister is based on Dominique de Villepin and his efforts to dissuade the Americans from going to war in Iraq.

As a speechwriter myself, I was rather surprised that a mainstream film could be devoted to the irritations and obstacles to creating the perfect speech. Only the French could justify it. I enjoyed it immensely!

How to be Normal: Advice for the Perplexed
How to be Normal: Advice for the Perplexed
by Guy Browning

5.0 out of 5 stars Humour with Brains, 18 Nov 2014
In 1204 the great Jewish philosopher Maimonides published a 'Guide for the Perplexed'. Guy Browning has written an updated version for the C21st, with jokes.

This is a collection of short sketches observing thin slices of life: how to be soft, how to be instinctive, how to say no. Each one is a capsule of insight, humour and beautiful writing.

The book is crammed full of quotable insights like, 'skipping is how knees laugh', 'there are two things in life that are difficult to ignore: world poverty and a jam doughnut', 'panic is paranoia with legs'.

The experience of reading is pleasurable and sophisticated like drinking a fine sauterne.

Conspiracy of Fools: A True Story
Conspiracy of Fools: A True Story
by Kurt Eichenwald

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in how corporations go astray, 5 Nov 2014
This was an excellent cautionary tale. I will be very careful how I do my accounts in future. Eichenwald has written a page-turner about how corporations go astray.

It's a fun dramatisation with the author speculating on what the main characters are thinking while they're eating. I'm also enjoying the internet research on what has happened since. I found myself getting up early to finish it.

Politics Of Hope
Politics Of Hope
by Jonathan Sacks

4.0 out of 5 stars There is such a thing as society, 13 Oct 2014
This review is from: Politics Of Hope (Paperback)
This is 'early' Jonathan Sacks. It contains the seeds of what he focuses on in greater depths in his subsequent books. This book deals with 'liberalism' versus 'libertarianism' and champions the former over the latter. It's more philosophical and academic than his later works.

I like the ideas, but his analysis of what's wrong in society pre-dates the rise of social media, and the emergence of the blogosphere. Sacks is socially conservative, but when divorce was difficult men and women endured much misery, and before homosexuality was legalised, there was also much misery. I like his traditional values, and I like the Jewish way. I'm not convinced that organised religion is going to make much of a comeback.

Fortunately 15 years later we can also watch Lord Sacks preach on YouTube.

Ebby: The Man Who Sponsored Bill W.
Ebby: The Man Who Sponsored Bill W.
by Mel B.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a sad story. Ebby was in the right place at ..., 22 Sep 2014
This is a sad story. Ebby was in the right place at the right time for Bill W. but he wasn't able to maintain his own sobriety. The account of his many relapses and his inability to hold down jobs is quite harrowing at times. He was a lonely man, despite his ability to turn on the charm.

I think I first saw this book featured in The Sopranos - Christopher was reading it. It's well written and can be read in a few sittings.

God of Our Understanding: Jewish Spirituality and Recovery from Addiction
God of Our Understanding: Jewish Spirituality and Recovery from Addiction
by Shais Taub

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, 21 Sep 2014
I saw Rabbi Taub on a Jewish.net video - he was amusing and profound. This book was just as wonderful - it offers many deep insights into human psychology, and at the same time it's easy to read. His basic point is that we've got to come to terms with reality to Iive well. He points out that 12 step programmes use many of the spiritual insights of the Torah, and you can be Jewish and maintain the integrity of your faith on the programme.

Rabbi Taub is a very likeable teacher and his wisdom will enrich your life.

Business Secrets from the Bible: Spiritual Success Strategies for Financial Abundance
by Rabbi Daniel Lapin

4.0 out of 5 stars If Gordon Gekko became a rabbi..., 26 Aug 2014
I found a lot of what Rabbi Lapin has to say refreshing and inspiring. I came to his work after reading people like Jonathan Sacks and Yoram Hazony, who give accessible insights into Biblical stories, which I find very helpful.

Rabbi Lapin is a bit more populist and we get plenty of his opinions to go with his Biblical insights. He's a bit old school - explaining his contempt for the commencement speeches that tell graduates to 'follow your dream'. He says learn to like what pays well.

In my younger days, I worked for a City law firm which was well-paid, but it wasn't easy, and the quality of human relationships was poor. According to Rabbi Lapin, I should have stuck with that rather than struggling as a freelance for many years.

Having read Yoram Hazony and Abraham Twerski and other rabbis on money, I think he rather simplifies the complex ethical ideas Judaism has around earning a living.

Still, I read it in a weekend, and feel better for it.

The Past [DVD]
The Past [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bérénice Bejo

3.0 out of 5 stars The perfect French art house movie - only without sex, 28 July 2014
This review is from: The Past [DVD] (DVD)
Intense dialogue, symbolism, beautiful people, multicultural strife, long meaningful pauses - this is a perfect French film for a miserable wet afternoon. The only thing missing is gratuitous sex. Oh it goes on, deftly revealing the hypocrisies, misunderstandings and repressed feelings of the characters, but is it entertaining?

The work that goes into creating something like this must be colossal. It's a plausible scenario - it's hyper-realistic, but I didn't really enjoy it or find it uplifting in any way. This is Michael Haneke territory - exquisitely done, but only for art house aficionados.

Mad Men - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Mad Men - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm

2.0 out of 5 stars Meretricious: Eastenders for sophisticates, 28 July 2014
I've watched every episode of Six Feet Under at least twice, I've watched every episode of the Sopranos, and I've watched two and a half series of Boardwalk Empire.

I started watching Mad Men and realise that HBO are very clever, but like all good businesses, they stick to the same formula.

In this case, as with the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire, it's very beautiful people being cruel to each other on very glamorous sets. As with the Sopranos, a charismatic but deeply flawed character keeps the action going, with other members of the family revealing themselves through affairs, psychotherapy and troubled pasts.

There are a few good one-liners, a few insights into the period and the dramatisation of how we became the consumer society is intriguing, but there's little joy here.

Young Adult [DVD]
Young Adult [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlize Theron
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Recovery Movie, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Young Adult [DVD] (DVD)
This is a bleak but rewarding film which shows the mixed feelings that can develop when someone leaves a hick town to make their way in the city.
I enjoyed watching Mavis show her contempt for her roots - the film shows small town America in quite an unflattering light - but it also shows how we see things through our own lenses - and if we're bitter and remorseful that's not going to make us very effective in the world.

I cringed a lot at Mavis's self-destructive impulses and delusions. Unhappiness isn't pretty.

It's well written, amusing in parts, and a useful case study of middle-age frustration and anger.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20