Profile for Ras > Reviews

Weird Wild
Weird Wild
by G Clark Hellery

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Start, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Weird Wild (Paperback)
An enjoyable read. I don't often read collections of short stories and this left me wanting to read something a bit more substantial from GCH. The character development and rather gloriously detailed settings that she was able to create in my mind means I'll definitely be picking up her next book.

Stillness and Speed: My Story
Stillness and Speed: My Story
by Dennis Bergkamp

5.0 out of 5 stars (non) Autobiography of a free thinker, 30 Jan 2014
Simply the best book of it's kind. Stillness & Speed expresses Bergkamps vision of football using examples from his life & career rather than being a tell-all book about fall outs with managers and/or players. It makes you think about what football could be, whilst making you ruminate about how great it was to have had the likes of Bergkamp grace the beautiful game.

The Outsider: A History of the Goalkeeper
The Outsider: A History of the Goalkeeper

3.0 out of 5 stars A detailed history of Goalkeeping from an academic, 30 Jan 2014
Typical Jonathan Wilson fare. A weighty read detailing how the position of 'Goalkeeper' came about. I'll assume it's accurate as I, like you, have no intention of doing anything to find out if it's a work of fiction. Full of facts and detailed histories but lacking in what generally passes for 'passion'.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are genuinely interested in the subject matter, which strangely enough I am. Even after reading this.