Profile for Ms. K. S. Rodgers > Reviews

Content by Ms. K. S. Rodgers

Ms. K. S. Rodgers "Karen Rodgers" (Cambridge, CAMBS United Kingdom)

The King of the Golden City, an Allegory for Children
The King of the Golden City, an Allegory for Children
by Mother Mary Loyola

5.0 out of 5 stars If I only had one book to help me help ..., 9 Oct 2014
If I only had one book to help me help a child prepare for First Holy Communion, it would be this book. However, it is just as helpful and gripping as a basis for adult meditation. One to share with the whole family.

Marguerite's Fountain
Marguerite's Fountain
by Rachel Elliot

5.0 out of 5 stars it is a hopeful testament to true love and genuine courage, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: Marguerite's Fountain (Hardcover)
This is a gorgeous book; even though our children are well past what is considered picture book age we come back to this time and again. Helping children understand why bullies may behave as they do, it is a hopeful testament to true love and genuine courage.

Energy and Carbon Emissions: The Way We Live Today
Energy and Carbon Emissions: The Way We Live Today
by Nicola Terry

4.0 out of 5 stars "Mum, can't we just get a horse?" Carbon Emissions made simple, 12 July 2011
As soon as they've learned to string a few words together, children use them to ask the most awkward questions.
Awkward yet often intriguing. Especially now that a lot of adult chat centres on the environment, our two want to know the answers to such complex questions as "why don't we get solar panels?" .. "why do we use those dim light bulbs?" and "am I being unkind to polar bears if I eat baby sweetcorn?".

Usually, the response to a real poser is simple; "I don't know, but we can find out". However, most of these environmental issues are highly complex and not something that you can find from a quick Websearch. Books that are written about them and which do address the issues seem to assume a PhD in Statistics and appear to have been written, at least to my BA brain, in source code.

I was complaining about this problem to a friend over lunch .. who, it turned out, being a local software consultant, passionate environmentalist and also member of Transition Cambridge, was in the throws of writing an accessible book on this very topic.She loaned me a draft version and I was quickly hooked.

"Energy and Carbon Emissions; the way we live today" is an eminently concise, readable and non-preachy account of the environmental impact of the kind of lifestyle choices and behaviours which form our everyday routines. Nicola sets out to provide a dispasssionate account of the relative effects of various choices backed up by clear charts and graphs all of which start at zero (no statistical fudgeing here). I found these really helpful and although they were not designed for children our 9 year old loves them, which I think says something about their clarity.

The four page long introduction is worth reading as a start but after than you can dip into it as and when a particular issue arises; there are sections on heating, lighting, transport, food, the efficiency of household gadgets and renewable energy, with clearly marked sub-sections.
The technical information is there but it is easy simply to concentrate on the explanations if you prefer. Each section ends with a summary of things you can choose to do to reduce your carbon footprint in that particular area.

So highly recommended if you want to know how much energy you use each day making tea or whether it is worth putting solar panels on a south-east facing roof.

So no, Imogen, we won''t be swapping the Zafira for a pony. And on reflection, although I won't be spending the winter subsisting on sauerkraut, I' ll be giving that sweetcorn from Guatamala a miss.

Karen Rodgers

How to Make a New Mother Happy: Quick and Effective Soloutions to New Motherhood's Most Common Problems
by Dr Uzzi Reiss

1.0 out of 5 stars what new mothers definately do not need, 31 Jan 2008
"Having a child is not a reason to disrupt your social life".

Books like this are probably even more destructive than the more obviously prescriptive ones such a Gina Ford's. Dr Uzzie pretends to be on your side. She pays lip service to making an informed choice, for you deciding what you really need to do without outside pressure and then bombards a new mother and father with so many, shoulds and musts and loaded and frankly inaccurate reports of studies that anyone who had no personal prior experience of babies on reading her book would feel an idiot if they came to any other conclusion than the one she herself has very definitely come to; that babies themselves come low on the list of priorities in the responsibilities which new mothers have, that they are an add-on to an existing life style, not the catalyst for a complete change of life and a rewriting of the family map, that a mother's real duty is to make sure the child realises this so she can return to the role modern society expects of her; to earning a wage, to being sexually active, to putting on the social mask and doing the pub of wine bar circuit, in other words to earning and consuming. And if all of this leaves the new mother feeling rather low, her duty is to shrug off those silly feelings with a good dose of anti-depressants, to do her hair, get a baby sitter and to get on with her life where she left off.

Dr Uzzie does mention that post-natal depression is very prevalent in our society, yet she does not stop to consider why this is so. She gives the impression that it is a natural part of being a mother. This is not so. In societies in which mothers are given respect and time to become mothers, to spend time with their children and to develop their own parenting style in the absence of a welter of "expert" shoulds and musts, PND is virtually unknown.

New mothers do not need anti-depressants, a baby sitter, to be deprived of their child, sent back to paid employment and to be told to return to their previous lifestyle as though nothing had happened. What really makes a new mother happy, is time with her child and to be surrounded by people who respect her new role as a mother, who understand that this will mean that the child is her top priority and will give her the space and respect she needs to make the changes to her life she needs in order to become the mother she feels in her heart she is meant to be. The psychological transition from husband to father is a similarly life changing and crucial one; it is also one that few men have the chance to make in our society. New fathers would be a lot happier too if only they were allowed the time space and respect to make their own adjustments and to see just how vital is their role in the new family which has now been born.

This book reinforces highly time and place specific prejudices about how a new mother should behave and which feelings she is allowed to articulate and fulfil. The bond that a father and most particularly a mother has with the young child is a deep one. In the case of mothers it is biologically hard-wired. Ever since there have been human beings, mothers have had a deep visceral need to be with their babies, just as babies have had the deepest most visceral need to be with their mothers. This bond is not only millenia old, it will continue to be a vital psychological phenomenon for as long as human beings are worthy of the name. Healthy human development depends upon it. Yet this book tries to ensure that new parent's deepest emotions are on a destructive collision course with current societal expectations that makes these emotions very hard to express and even harder to fulfil. It tells you that even if you do want to look after your child full-time once you have him in your arms, even if you do want to sleep alongside him, you can't, because all sensible modern people will have made an irrevocable "deal" to go back to work and to put the child in a cot, before he was born, so just deal with it. Neither mothers nor fathers need this book. Try "The science of parenting" by Margot Sunderland instead. A good deal less preachy and with sound roots in research into how babies develop and what they need.

Secret Life of the Unborn Child
Secret Life of the Unborn Child
by Verney Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely , well researched book, 19 Mar 2005
I was so glad to read when pregnant with our first child and loved it so much that I reread it when expecting our second. I didn't find the style at all emotionally loaded; the research was, I felt, discussed and summarised in a relaxed and very readable manner. It helped me think about my child, really got the oxytocin circulating and so I feel , helped me bond with them before I had even seen them.
A wonderful present for expectant parents.

The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
by Jean Liedloff

5.0 out of 5 stars Less really is more, 6 Oct 2003
This is the book I most wish I had read on leaving school; part adventure story, part philosophical treatise with many arresting, endearing and striking anecdotes it sets out with such burning clarity how our society creates the conditions for us to feel depressed, stressed and alienated. It is however, I feel, a very positive book and one I will come back to time and again; it explains how we can also achieve far greater happiness and harmony with others around us. It is a hymn to the quality of life,an illustration of the addictiveness and ultimate irrelevance of consumerism and an affirmation of the beauty and strength of the human spirit. Definately not to be confined to the shelves intended for prospective parents I would happliy give this book as a graduation present.

Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: The Complete Guide to Women's Health and Wellbeing
by Christiane Northrup

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 14 Dec 2001
I wish I had benn able to read this book 15 years ago; it would have saved me a lot of illness and unhappiness. Every teenage girl should have access to a copy, preferably also with a sympathetic trusted person with whom she can discuss issues arising.