Profile for Mary Collin > Reviews

Content by Mary Collin

Mary Collin "marybham" (UK - Midlands)

Page: 1 | 2
Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
by Lon Milo DuQuette

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book - it's made the Thoth fun to learn, 19 July 2007
I bought the Thoth Tarot deck a while ago and loved the imagery and the colours. I could never quite get to grips with it as it seemed complex and deep. Well, that's because it is!

This book has been a real eye-opener for me and a joy to read. Lon Milo Duquette talks in plain, simple language and makes the journey fun. I never thought I would say that about discovering more about this deck or Crowley but it really is.

This is a book that is a favourite with myself and my Tarot colleagues - The Book of Thoth could have been written in Russian for the practical help it gave me. Maybe this is my "primer" to get me much more comfortable with the deck, improve my understanding of it and act as a bridge to further study in this area.

A big thank you to LMD - this is fun and fascinating!!

Highly recommended.

Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom
Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom
by Rachel Pollack

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - straightforward and easy to read, 19 July 2007
Rachel is one of the brightest stars in the Tarot world. When I first delved into the world of Tarot I thought it was all a bit weird and that it wouldn't amount to much. How wrong I was.

My Tarot tutor pointed me in the direction of Rachel's book and it's become a well-thumbed and much referred to volume on my shelves. And I've been delighted to see Rachel speak as she travels the world. She has amazing depth and breadth of knowledge on Tarot and various related subjects and is able to communicate them simply and clearly. And with great humour.

A great book - perfect for the beginner and well worth a read (or re-read) to those who already have some knowledge of the subject). Simple and easy to read with lots of useful information.

Highly recommended.

The Business Coach: A Millionaire Entrepreneuer Reveals the 6 Critical Steps to Business Success (Instant Success Series)
by Bradley J Sugars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of how to build my businesses, 19 July 2007
It was interesting to read the different perceptions and reviews on this book. I've read it three times so far and have got something different from each reading. It's another book I've mind-mapped and refer to regularly.

In my opinion it gives a great overview of the key areas to work on to structure my businesses and it's a shame a previous reviewer gave up on it. There are some real nuggets in here. If anything, it is written in an overly simplistic way - which can cause people to miss the depth that I see in it. For me, there are several layers of information, tips and strategies for anyone who wants to look a little deeper. Yes, it is a great advert for coaching, OR, it's a great way to find out where I'm strong and where I need to put some work in.

To cover the gaps I could read up, study, or get coached in specific areas. That's really up to me and what works best for me. Some fascinating stuff in here and it covers enough detail for me to re-read it and get more from it on second and subsequent readings. Great to see where I've moved on!

Think and Grow Rich!: The Original Version, Restored and Revised
Think and Grow Rich!: The Original Version, Restored and Revised
by Napoleon Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars My "desert island" personal development book, 19 July 2007
I can't remember how long ago I first read this - probably in the early 1980s. This is the book I would keep/take to a desert island if I could only have one.

It's as relevant now as it was when it was first written and my copy is battered, water-damaged, highlighted and anotated and . . . I wouldn't part with it for anything.

"Classic" is an over-used word but it genuinely does apply to this book. Truly wonderful, inspiring and mind-stretching. I come back to this again and again. Get it in any version - I have the book and the audio programme - and use it. I hope you get as much from it at each reading as I do.

Instant Systems: Foolproof Strategies That Let Your Business Run Itself (Instant Success Series)
by Bradley J Sugars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, practical book I come back to again and again, 19 July 2007
I first read this book about 3 years ago and went through it with a highlighter. I also created a mind map of the key areas. Since then it's become an often-referred to guide to systemising more and more of what I do. I've used it to help organise teams (regionally, nationally and globally), I've used it to streamline my businesses and to free up my time to do the things I'm passionate about.

In fact I liked it so much I then became involved (personally and professionally!) with an Action Coach.

I have 3 businesses and the practical, usable, straightforward systems and structures mentioned in this book have helped me time and time again in vastly differing businesses. It's proved invaluable to me and each time I revisit it I get something new, some refinement or a new perspective.

It's a book I highly recommend. Don't just read it - apply it, I know it works.

The Little Book of Prosperity: Your Pocket Guide to Wealth and Happiness: 2
The Little Book of Prosperity: Your Pocket Guide to Wealth and Happiness: 2
by Maggy Whitehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Book with BIG benefits!, 27 Feb. 2006
I LOVED "The Little Book of Prosperity" - I couldn't put it down. Described as "Your Pocket Guide to Wealth & Happiness" it is 129 pages of complete common sense, straight talking and it's packed full of really useful stuff. It's a quick, easy read and gets straight to the point. No waffle just pages of practical stuff you can apply immediately.
I loved the suggestions for affirmations and I felt like parts of the book must have been written for me!! Thank you Maggy for the "poke in the eye" reminder of some things I need to do more of!
This is a truly wonderful book and I love the way it is written. It gets straight to the point - has a lovely conversational style and is immensely practical. The exercises and affirmations in each chapter help to lock in the learning as you go. Do the exercises - they can yield some interesting results.
One of the reasons I wanted to read it all through very quickly was so that I could pass it to my partner to read. I know he will love it just as much as I have. I know we will want to get some more copies and share them with our friends and clients.
My recommendation? Do what I did . . . Buy it, read it, do it and enjoy the results!

Tarot Tips: 78 Practical Techniques to Enhance Your Tarot Reading Skills (Special Topics in Tarot)
by Ruth Ann Amberstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick & Easy Tips - a "must have" for your Tarot Collection!, 17 Feb. 2004
I bought this book and just couldn't put it down. It has so many quick and easy tips and is massively practical.
The writers' style is warm, welcoming, easy and personal. You actually feel as if you are sitting in their class or at the end of a phone talking to them.
The information is accessible and easy to understand and apply. The fact that the book is divided up into different sections including Decks; Interpretation & Meaning; Reading Techniques; Spreads; Other Things You Can Do With Tarot and Ethics makes it incredibly easy to get great value from it quickly.
Even as a fairly experienced reader I picked up so many really useful tips. I would recommend this book to all Tarot enthusiasts. (The Tarot School story was a fascinating Appendix.)

Page: 1 | 2