Profile for Elizabeth R > Reviews

The Storyworld Box Cards: Create-A-Story Kit
by John Matthews
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagination in a box!, 16 Jun 2013
I can't rate these cards too highly (and have bought two other sets in the series to follow up as birthday and Christmas gifts!)
They were first recommended to me by a teacher, who has been using them at school.
This set of gorgeously illustrated cards comes with a little book explaining ways of using them, but we dove straight in! My little girl has Autism and she loves poring over the pictures and telling stories about each character. We spread them out on the floor and she chooses six of them and let's her imagination take flight, telling - and often - writing long, flowing stories about these characters and their wonderful adventures. The illustrations are so detailed that she has no trouble describing them and she loves searching them for other little details often hidden in the background...
These cards would be suitable for young children up to any age! I love them and use them to make up bedtime stories for her - guaranteed no two the same!
We have used them to talk about the pictures and people, feelings, places, clothes, jobs, etc.
Thoroughly recommended!

My Head-to-Toe Body Book
My Head-to-Toe Body Book
by OKIDO
Price: 9.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab and informative!, 16 Jun 2013
We love this book! My daughter has Autism and this book is one of her favourites, explaining how her body works. She carries it around with her, tells me interesting facts she has discovered and we both thoroughly enjoy the lovely illustrations and clear information.
It is very engaging and often leads us to 'find out more'. I'm pleased to see there are others in the series and look forward to further accessible, non-intimidating facts about other subjects too for her. She is 9 and an absolute sponge for information and this has been just right!

Nature's Response What Nits! Leave In Detangling Conditioner
Nature's Response What Nits! Leave In Detangling Conditioner
Offered by Deal Pot Ltd
Price: 6.15

4.0 out of 5 stars No Nits Here!, 16 Jun 2013
Just what was needed to keep those pesky critters at bay! Another lengthy session of delousing and I wasn't looking forward to another, so this was just the ticket! My daughter has waist length hair and I can use this every day, brush it through and plait her hair for school. There is no greasy residue and, fingers crossed, not a single 'unwelcome guest' has been spotted since! She wasn't keen on the tea tree smell initially, but this disappears when the product dries (within minutes) and it made sense to her that this was the same reason that the lice didn't like it either!
Quite expensive, but it does the job of two products for us - detangler and lice repellent - so I'm not complaining about it!

Handprint and Make Your Own Bags
Handprint and Make Your Own Bags
by Jenny McCabe
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars One to get carried away with!, 14 April 2013
I am really pleased with this purchase. The patterns are clear and well-illustrated and the designs are varied and practical.
I'm determined to make some of these bags and get creative with printing, new patterns and fabrics.
If I were an absolute beginner, with a bit of help this book would be fine and it has enough of interest in it to satisfy someone who has a little more experience as the patterns and ideas would provide good fodder for further creative inspiration to take flight!

Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool
Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool
by Ewa K. Andinsson
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous photography!, 14 April 2013
This was a really beautifully presented book. The photography was gorgeous - as were the designs, models and pictures taken in the ice hotel!
I don't know if I'll actually attempt any of these patterns, but there were a some nice ideas in there. I bought it because I liked the idea of natural wool that hadn't been dyed. In the meantime for me it is a lovely book to flip through and lust after the designs!

Mermaids and Fairy Dust (Calm for Kids)
Mermaids and Fairy Dust (Calm for Kids)
by Christiane Kerr
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 11.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Sent to sleep for the wrong reasons..., 14 April 2013
My daughter, who is autistic, loved the novelty of this CD and initially enjoyed the imagery. I bought it for her to help her relax at bedtime and, at first, it seemed to do the trick. She was, however, bored by the 3rd meditation. I was bored before then. The repetitive music is set at too high a level against the voice, so I found it a bit intrusive. As a hypnotherapist myself, I was looking forward to hearing Christiane Kerr's approach and delivery, so I was surprised at how monotonous her voice was.
A good starting point for what we require, but overall not for us!

Tibetan Singing Bowl
Tibetan Singing Bowl
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ding Dong!, 25 Aug 2012
I bought this recording for my yoga practice. The repetitive resonating gong sound is perfect for pacing myself through positions in a sequence and is strangely hypnotic too - which is great for emptying my mind during practice!! I have also used this recording for meditation, as it is not invasive and very soothing.
It was recommended to me by my yoga teacher and I would, in turn, recommend it to anyone else for yoga or meditation.