Profile for D. McAvoy > Reviews

Content by D. McAvoy

D. McAvoy

Fotodiox Pro Thumb Grip for Mirrorless Digital Cameras (Black), fits: Canon PowerShot G12, G15, G1 x, EOS-M
Offered by Fotodiox Inc. USA

1.0 out of 5 stars SNAPPED, 1 May 2014
I had only had my grip for around 2 months before it snapped under a very slight amount of pressure when fitting to the camera. Not ideal for something that appears to be made solid.

Op/Tech System Connectors Super Pro B Camera Strap - 10 - 15 Inches
Op/Tech System Connectors Super Pro B Camera Strap - 10 - 15 Inches
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

2.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION IF USING WITH A GRIP, 1 May 2014
I bought these to use with my Mamiya 645 Pro TL camera, on which I have a power winder grip attached. These straps will not connect to the lug on the grip side when the grip is attached. Nowhere does it mention this on the Op/Tech website or on Amazon.

I now have to use one of the original loop connectors on the side with the grip attached, alongside the lug connector on the other side. This works but is not an ideal solution as I now have 2 spare pieces and will have to buy another set of loop connectors to connect another camera I had planned to use for.

Other than that, they do work well and are a good option for this type of camera. Order arrived very quickly too.

Canon ET-60  Lens Hood For EF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6/2, /3, USM/2, USM/3, EF-S 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS
Canon ET-60 Lens Hood For EF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6/2, /3, USM/2, USM/3, EF-S 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS

4.0 out of 5 stars If only it was cheaper. (or came with the lens), 15 July 2009
I purchased this item not too long ago and it arrived promptly. Good service from the company.

Now, to the product, for what it is this lens hood is extremely overpriced. its simply a piece of plastic with the appropriate fitting on one end to attach it to your lens. I would've given it 5 stars if it was either much, much cheaper, or if it came with the lens in the first place. Get it sorted Canon.

However, despite these complaints, I cannot fault the product itself. I put it on the end of my 75-300mm USM lens on my 400D and took a few shots around my house. I instantly noticed a boost in contrast and sharpness. this hood really works. You notice it even more outdoors, no more do the photos look hazy or dull and glare is no more. Combine it with Canon's "clear" picture style, which is designed to help with telephoto shots and the photos are amazing.

It also fits onto my 18-55mm kit lens, however when used on this it shows in the corners at wider focal lengths.

And the best part is, it makes you look, and feel more professional when out and about with your camera.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2013 6:55 PM GMT

MACRO EXTENSION Full Set TUBES Fits CANON EOS SLR & DSLR,1D 1Ds 7D 6D 5D 10D 20D 30D 40D,50D,60D,70D,100D,500D,550D,600D,650D,700D,1000D,1100D 1200D Camera DSLR.
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value for money...ever, 13 Mar 2009
I bought these after deciding that the large sums of money required for electronic macro tubes was far too much for a bit of experimentation. So i ordered these and lo and behold they are great.

Delivery was brilliantly fast.

They work great with all my lenses and offer the kind of close up imagery that even dedicated macro lenses struggle to offer and they are well more than 100 times the cost of these.

There are one or two problems however.

i have found the build quality to be a bit of a let down. On first examination they seem solid. Constructed entirely of metal and a great finish. However, the catch system that locks the lens into place is prone to becoming mishapen and so the lens either wont go on or come off. Luckily its nothing a bit of fiddling with a knife / screwdriver wont fix.

Also, the screw threads of the different sections are not the greatest. I have been unable to unscrew the smallest extension section from the camera connection ever since I received it.

With these little niggles aside, this is a great product, especially if you are on a budget.

Nokia 6500 Slide Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver
Nokia 6500 Slide Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly simple yet clever phone....., 18 Mar 2008
I have had this phone since the week of its release (early Dec 2007) on an Orange contract. It is, without a doubt one of the best phones I've ever used. Even my father, who has had almost every nokia N series phone so far (he seems to get far too many upgrades) has commented on it. claiming it does almost everything he uses his "mobile computer" of an N95 for. The best thing about this phone is that it is simple to work and uses the series 40 OS so is less likely to crash or fail like the N series.

The photos are fantastic, and i have even printed a few. The music player is great, and sound quality is excellent. One thing that did annoy me is that there was no headphone adapter included in the box so i had to hunt for one to enable me to use my own headphones. (the included ones aren't that great). The phone is incredibly simple and makes the common tasks of texting and making calls easy.

There is one thing to mention though, after having had a replacement phone after it failed to recognise when it was slid open or shut (the buttons underneath the screen failed to work sometimes also). I have been having problems with the phone making calls and logging on to the network. I have complained to orange who are "looking into it" but have so far not solved anything. It could be a network problem in my area but I have had to switch the phone to GSM mode in order to make and receive calls.

Otherwise this is a fantastic phone and these problems are hopefully a rare occurence.