Profile for Jean Allen > Reviews

Shoes Were For Sunday
Shoes Were For Sunday
by Molly Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars Remembering Mollie Weir--., 22 April 2013
This review is from: Shoes Were For Sunday (Paperback)
--from her radio broadcasts, difficult to believe such poverty existed, but she proved it possible to overcome it and used her memories for the benefit of her own birthplace, to make it a bit better.....

The Sweethearts
The Sweethearts
by Lynn Russell

3.0 out of 5 stars But I have not read it yet., 22 April 2013
This review is from: The Sweethearts (Paperback)
I have friends from York who worked in the chocolate factory, I have spent several holidays there as I enjoy the museums and history there, this book probably reveals a way of life 'gone but not forgotten....

Silvertown: An East End family memoir
Silvertown: An East End family memoir
by Melanie McGrath

3.0 out of 5 stars Not read it yet., 22 April 2013
I ordered it as children from Silvertown were evacuated here during the war with many others from the East End of London.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2014 6:11 PM GMT

Shiny Pennies And Grubby Pinafores: How we overcame hardship to raise a happy family in the 1950s
by Winifred Foley

4.0 out of 5 stars Reading this at the moment., 22 April 2013
My neighbour came from the Forest of Dean and met Win Foley many years ago,
we shared our books, but sadly she died recently.

The Woman Who Murdered Babies for Money: The Story of Amelia Dyer
The Woman Who Murdered Babies for Money: The Story of Amelia Dyer
by Allison Vale

3.0 out of 5 stars Not read it yet., 22 April 2013
I ordered this book as it is rumoured that Mrs. Dyer lived locally, but I have found no proof of this...I am very interested in Wiltshire murders and legends....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 5:53 PM BST

Stranger in the House: Women's Stories of Men Returning from the Second World War
by Julie Summers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Mar 2013
This book tells it as it was, warts and all, no soppy 'happy ever after' stuff.
A great companion book to 'Millions Like Us' which told of womens service during the war. I was a child when it started and a teenager when it finished, Men returned shattered mentally after serving on the North Atlantic convoys, subject to agonising bouts of Malaria, and finding they had a child that was a result of a wifes infidelity, there was also the problem in the early days of a female lover turning up to find a married man with a family that she thought was single living with his old mother !!!

Bombsites and Lollipops: My 1950s East End Childhood
Bombsites and Lollipops: My 1950s East End Childhood
by Jacky Hyams

4.0 out of 5 stars Bombsites &Lollipops, 8 Oct 2012
Delivery from Amazon was propt, quick, and the book was well packed and excellent condition, but I have not yet read it.....looking forward to doing so, if it as good as the last purchases on this subject, I have a lot to learn and enjoy. Jean Allen

The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers
The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers
by Angela Patrick

4.0 out of 5 stars Social History, 22 April 2012
These true stories of the way unmarried mothers were treated are of great interest, as were early stories of the workhouse system adoption and child migration which was virtually an extension of slavery and continued until 1967. The books are available at a reduced price and the service first class, I have only bought books on this subject so far, but would not hesitate to buy anything else if I needed to.