Profile for Sean > Reviews

Star Wars: Crucible
Star Wars: Crucible
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book...just something missng, 5 Mar 2014
The Star Wars EU (Expanded Universe) keeps moving forward. This directly follows on from the Fate of the Jedi series, and is set around 44 years after the events of the original film. An attack on an outer-space mining facility turns into a life or death battle for Luke, Han & Leia, as a pair of alien brothers have found an anomaly in space that can grant anyone the ability to use the Force,,,for a price.

SPOILER ALERT:

This was a good book with plenty of action throughout. I liked the reappearance of Vestara Khai (whose identity I figured out straight away from the brief description) but was disappointed that there was hardly any interaction between her and her former boyfriend Ben Skywalker. The action reaches a satisfying conclusion, but then you are left somewhat wondering what happens next, with all 3 main characters saying that they are taking a break from saving the galaxy for a while. I think this is a deliberate effort by author Troy Denning to leave the future of the EU open, as I think he, like myself, believes that at least some of the EU may be retconned when Episodes VII, VIII and IX are released. Overall, a very good read though.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Price: 3.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Trust me, you should have a bad feeling about this, 12 Feb 2014
I really should have leant my lesson from Death Star - another novel co- authored by Reaves. One of the main problem with both novels is simply that the pacing is so slow. Even the action (and there isn't that much of it) seems sluggish most of the time. The title is also deceptive. Rather than being a stand-alone novel as the title suggests, this should really be titled Coruscant Nights 4; and in fact originally was until an inexplicable name change. If, like myself, you haven't read the previous books, you will feel lost when it references many previous events. The characters are not all that likable either, & while the idea of someone who believes himself to be the last Jedi constantly on the run from the Empire might seem to be an exciting story, it really doesn't come across well here.

If you really want to read this, make sure you read the Coruscant Nights Trilogy first, although based on this I wouldn't bother.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1)
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1)
Price: 3.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable...just., 18 Feb 2013
This is a hard review for me to write because I recently read the Hunger Games trilogy & I noticed that many people who reviewed the first hunger games slated it for copying Battle Royale. I didn't understand why they disliked it so much for that sole reasom. NOW I do...

City of Bones is not awful, but it's also not great. It is Buffy/Harry Potter, with the main character relationships ripped straight from the original Star Wars trilogy. Being a huge Star Wars fan, I feel this is the main reason I didn't enjoy the book as much as I could of. All the characters seem to be lacking depth at times except one - Simon. For me, he is by far the most relatable character, & as such, it's good that he gets his 'hero' moment.

As I read through the book, I kept waiting for it to really grab my attention. This doesn't happen until near the end when the Shadowhunters fight the Greater Demon, & by the time you read the final showdown with Valentine, the emotional depth just isn't there & you feel like this could just be a bad Jerry Springer style talk show.

As I say, the book is readable, with the odd genuine piece of humour, and the characters being just about engaging enough for me to download the sample of book 2.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a must-read!, 24 Oct 2012
Ok, this is my first 5 star review. Let me start of by saying I'm a male, and I saw the film first. The trailers looked good, but I thought my girlfriend would enjoy it more than me, I was wrong. I brought the blu-ray, & then the book on Kindle.

There's more than enough here based on what was in the film alone to keep fans happy, but for anyone who was grabbed by the film like I was, I think they'll really appreciate other parts, such as Gale and Katniss's first meeting, or the first couple of humourous appearances by Haymitch. It answers a few questions not really answered in the film too, like where exactly Panem is.

The only downside to the book is Katniss constantly trying to sort her conflicting feelings for Peeta and Gale. It comes across as very Twilight-like and does become rather annoying, but shouldn't spoil your overall enjoyment of the book.

To all those saying the book is plagiarism, I say just shut up and enjoy it or put the book down. Everyone gets ideas from things they have either seen or read, and I bet if you closely enough at any book written nowadays, you'll find similarities to others.

I read this book in 7 days, immediately started the second one and have just finished that in 9 days. I can't wait to read Mockingjay & cannot recommend this enough.

Torchwood - The Collection (Series 1-3) [DVD]
Torchwood - The Collection (Series 1-3) [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Barrowman
Price: 21.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood before it was ruined, 11 July 2012
Torchwood in a nut shell is the spinoff of long running BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who, starring the Doctor's companion Captain Jack Harkness, along with the rest of the Torchwood team as they protect Earth from the threat of alien invasion. You are introduced to a wide range of characters, both new and old throughout the 3 series (1, 2, and Children of Earth).

It goes without saying that this is Doctor Who with a more adult theme, but there is no strong language or violence used out of proportion, and everything is pitched just right. Both series 1 and 2 deserve the 3 stars I've given it, but if I was to rate them seperately, I would give Children of Earth 4 stars. After losing 2 main characters at the end of series 2, Kai Owen's character Rhys becomes a main character and an epic story unfolds in just 5 episodes.

The DVDs also include Torchwood: Declassified, the behind-the-scenes series for Torchwood, as well as lots more extras to enjoy.

Of course, after Children of Earth came Miracle Day, a classic example of how bigger isn't always better. This is the definative Torchwood collection, unless you really, REALLY want more, DON'T BUY Miracle Day. You have been warned...

Episodes - Series Two [DVD]
Episodes - Series Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt LeBlanc
Price: 6.73

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as series 1, if not better, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Episodes - Series Two [DVD] (DVD)
Episodes is a show that gives you a comedic, and, I have no doubt in some cases, a surprisingly real look at how the TV industry works and how shows can be destroyed by the TV stars and network executives involved.

Having read the reviews posted already, I'm not sure why people disliked series 1. Series 2 picks up 4 months later with Sean and Beverly now seperated but still having to work together on Pucks!, the US remake of their British TV show. The ups and downs of their show, and the people around them, provides so much laughter thoughout all 9 episodes of the series. If it's done right, I hope we get a series 3. But if it is the end as the last episode indicates it might be, then I recommend everyone buy both series of the hilarious Episodes.

Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [DVD]
Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Miller
Price: 5.10

4.0 out of 5 stars From game to film, Layton's a hit, 8 Jan 2011
This film follows in the footsteps of the successful Nintendo DS series of games it is based on and is really enjoyable. The main story takes place as a flashback with nice cameo appearances from supporting characters Don Paulo, Inspector Chelmey and Barton at the beginning. The same level of animation from the cut-scenes in the games go into the film, the same voice actors bring the main characters to life, and of course, the same puzzle-solving elements that have made the games so popular are included within the story.

I only have 2 small criticisms regarding the film, one is the timing of it's release in Europe. The main plot of the film takes place after the 4th game in the series (the first game chronologically) which hasn't been released here yet. I'm sure if they'd of held off on the release and given it a full cinematic release at the right time instead of going straight to dvd now, it would have been succesful and reached a wider audience. This does not reflect the mark down in my rating however. My other critticism does because, like other reviewers, I cannot find the 30 minutes of special features the dvd is supposed to have.

All in all, this is well worth the money and a must-see for fans of the games.