Profile for Mr. J. L. Lester > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. L. Lester

Mr. J. L. Lester "John Lester" (London England)

Mr Parnes, Shillings & Pence
Mr Parnes, Shillings & Pence
Price: 8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and great sound, 20 Dec 2012
I am really enjoying this cd. Most of it is new to me but it's typical British teen stuff from the late 50's and early 60's. Whilst generally preferring the American originals of the covers, there was a certain charm and innocence to British covers in that period which I find irresistible.

If you are a fan of that era, this is a great cd to have. Highly recommended.

Soulicious The Soul Album
Soulicious The Soul Album
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Cliff album, 16 Oct 2011
I took a chance because of the soul names. I played it a few times and I have to say, it's not bad. In fact, I was more pleased each time I played it. The performances of the soulies were a little less than I was hoping but I am grateful for what was presented.

The duet with Freda Payne "Saving A Life" appears to be the first track to be pushed and I hope it does well. However, there are several more that could have been chosen as they are all of similar quality and I have to say that the duet with Brenda Holloway "Do You Ever" is my personal favourite.

The Sound Of Love: The Very Best Of Darlene Love
The Sound Of Love: The Very Best Of Darlene Love
Price: 7.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Darlene Love-Great for newbies and one for the cupboard for oldies, 16 May 2011
This is a CD of 17 tracks of which some 14 tracks are from the Spector era. 47 minutes is not good value for tracks that are slighty under 50 years old, but Spector releases have always been notorious for bad value (except the vinyl UK PSI releases) and it's the sheer quality that makes us buy these issues time and time again.

Anyone who doesn't know the tracks already will hopefully love them as much as I do. For them, this is a fantastic introduction and I hope you guys get as much joy from them as I have done since the 60's

But for those who have them already, what can I say. I didn't see any new photos and I bet you can all guess which photos were used. And you'd be right. Worse, they were reproduced in a stiff-ish card booklet that was coloured pale purple. (Being arty like that doesn't appeal to me as it makes it hard to read). Track annotations include month (not dates) of recording, arrangers, producers and chart positions

I read that the sound is wonderful. That may be so on some clever sound measuring equipment. I would call it sounding "clean" and that means a loss of distortion and stuff which we would have heard from the vinyl on the radio. Biggest disappointment was "A Fine Fine Boy" - those castenets are supposed to hit you between the eyes, here they are almost a whisper but they do sound clean. But is that what Spector wanted? I'm not sure he did. BTW, I suspect that the version of "Lord If You're A Woman" will not be the one you were hoping for.

One that goes in the cupboard for me but it's good this great music is out there again for any new music lovers.

Be My Baby: The Very Best Of The Ronettes
Be My Baby: The Very Best Of The Ronettes
Price: 5.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Sony re-issues, 8 May 2011
I firmly believe that Spector collectors have been treated badly over the years and Sony's recent batch of releases leaves me cold. What's new on them? I see Woman In Love from the Crystals and the Ronettes' I Can Hear Music now on official CD (on 2 separate cd's, I might add). Not exactly decent value for money!

Ah, but Sony will say "but you get fabulous sound". Well, let's see if that translates into a good financial return. The cost of those new mixes aint cheap - unlike the reduced price of those Sony cd's on Amazon UK - and they have only been out for a couple of months!

And now we are promised the original Philles albums on CD. Should I be pleased to have a mono vinyl album which was short even by LP standards, replicated on CD and being charged CD price which is, for the most part empty? Wake up Sony, it ain't gonna work. Us collectors are getting old now and are far more picky now than when we were younger. A few more years and we'll be dropping like flies and the Spector's audience will fall in a like fashion.

There's unreleased stuff on Spector, we all know that. Us Brits released a lot of it in the 70's and those PSI vinyl albums were good value and are still sought after. Most of us have now had them transferred to CD from mint vinyl copies but in addition, added our 3 versions of Tina's Everything Under The Sun, 2 versions of Darlene Love's Lord If You're A Woman and many other rare tracks.

If the original Philles albums are to be released, then I beg that Sony Legacy, do it properly and get it right.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 1:58 PM BST

I'll Pick a Rose for My Rose: the Complete Motown Recordings 1964-1971
I'll Pick a Rose for My Rose: the Complete Motown Recordings 1964-1971
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Marv Johnson-I'll Pick A Rose-The Complete Motown Recordings, 30 April 2011
I am really pleased that Marv Johnson has finally secured a release of his classic Motown recordings. It's been a while since his last Motown album - too many to count unless you have more than 2 hands!

It consists of the (stereo) "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" LP released in the UK (STML 11111) and the earlier (mono) Gordy 45s plus "bonus tracks". The "bonus tracks" include a few that have been released previously but there are 5 new songs for me and I am so pleased that these are the CLASSIC MOTOWN that I had hoped for. Marv's version of "Farewell Is A Lonely Sound" stands alongside that from the great Jimmy Ruffin. It was fun trying to hear if Marv sings the title in "SOS (Girl In Distress)" and I am still trying! The song might be better known to some Northern Soul fans as "Hey La La".

The package is of the usual high standard expected from ACE and contains lots of information about Marv's time with Motown. A superb release and one that I am really pleased with. Thanks to all those that made it happen

Dance With The Contours
Dance With The Contours
Price: 14.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Contours - Dance With The Contours, 30 April 2011
This review is from: Dance With The Contours (Audio CD)
The Contours were at Motown during their early formative years and it's interesting to hear the changes in the overall sound as it matured to acquire its own niche in music. That early raw sound developed into a full blooded powerhouse and it's all here.

There was a completely separate side to the Contours, far removed from all those dance-crazy songs and I suspect these will be ones that will appeal most.

"Tonight" has to be mentioned. A big change in style and one that might have led the group into a very different direction. But if it's the classic Smokey Robinson written Motown that is wanted, this has a quite a few here and when you see "Somebody's Daughter Oughta", you know what you are gonna get...CLASSIC MOTOWN

The Motown Anthology
The Motown Anthology
Price: 7.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Motown Anthology, 2 Oct 2004
This review is from: The Motown Anthology (Audio CD)
This double CD contains the entire studio recordings of the Velvelettes and, as a bonus, it also includes the second show of the Greystone concert when the group was matched against the Supremes (and won) and, also, four French language recordings. Some 75% of these recordings have never seen the light of day in their current form as alternative mixes or vocal performances have been used on the well-known songs - all personally selected by lead singer Cal Street.
Photo shots of the group covering their entire career have been used; some originate from the Motown picture archive and some are from the group's own archive. Liner notes are by Cal Street.
It's a winner!