Profile for Jeremy > Reviews

Carmen Pink Hair Curler
Offered by san direct
Price: 17.16

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money, 12 Mar 2014
Dont waste your money on this product, I learnt this the hard way! I KNOW that a good curler HOLDS its curl... This however DOSENT DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!

Wayland
Wayland
by Tony Mitton
Price: 11.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wayland (Hardcover)
I grew up in an area surrounded by hill forts and long barrows, short car trips with Dad often ended up at one or another of them. The odd and garbled stories associated with them became part of my childhood but one particularly spooky one was reputed to house a barrow wright who, if you left your tools in there overnight they would be magically sharpened. As a small boy trips to that one were always a little edgier than the others. (It was of course Waylands Smithy).

Lovely, lovely book, full of really nice detail. Interestingly it looks like any mystery regarding the Sutton Hoo whetstone/sceptre origins have been resolved too!

Suresign Total cholesterol test x 1 complete test kit
Suresign Total cholesterol test x 1 complete test kit
Offered by St. Georges Healthcare
Price: 5.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get a result, 7 Aug 2013
This test comes with a single use lancet and a cheap and awkward plastic pipette. Instructions are verbose and confusing. A large drop of blood as described in the instructions didn't fill the pipette (It looks like you need quite a lot - much more than a big drop). So that's a fiver down the drain as you can't continue unless you've filled the pipette to the line. (The pipette also won't spit what blood you've manage to get into it out, anyway.)

They should supply a decent pipette (glass?) and a second lancet as part of this if it's going to work. Waste of money,

The Daring Book for Girls
The Daring Book for Girls
by Andrea J. Buchanan
Price: 7.71

2.0 out of 5 stars I received an imported American Book..., 15 Feb 2013
The copy I received is an American book. This would be great if you're in the States. But I'm not - and I bought this from Amazon UK.

About half the book isn't going to be of interest to my girls. For example theWomen Inventors/scientists section pretty much just features Americans, the patent facts are all American. In the Bird watching section - you're looking out for Blue Jays, American Robins, American Tree Sparrows. There's lots about softball, John Adams, New York Tides, The US Constitution etc etc

I could go on but you get the picture.

Spelling - obviously all US English too.

There has to be a UK edition or this one just wouldn't sell here. Avoid it.

Poor show Amazon.

---- EDIT ----

Thought I take a punt on a secondhand copy (couldn't understand all the 5 star reviews) and got what appears to be a UK edition.

Completely different content and can now understand all the rave reviews.

The UK one has a pale green cover. Make sure you get that one. (You'll probably have to buy it secondhand.)

TomTom Airvent Universal Mount
TomTom Airvent Universal Mount
Offered by Burrows
Price: 21.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea - rubbish quality, 28 Nov 2012
This is a good idea. However it's execution is typical of TomTom when they go away from their core mapping products. Flimsy and very expensive. I'm not normally clumsy with these sorts of things but my clips both bust within about 10 uses. Absolute rubbish. Avoid. If I could give no stars I would.

Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities (Voices That Matter)
by David Airey
Price: 22.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good - as far as it goes..., 8 Mar 2012
If you're a student, a newly qualified designer or someone who wants to explore how to approach a design objective then this is a great book. It's well written, the examples shown are great and some of the tips are really useful. Really useful from that perspective. I particularly liked the reproduced initial sketches etc

Why then, only three stars? I'm possibly being a bit hard on the author - but it is billed as a guide to creating iconic brand identities, not just logos. In my opinion as a how to book for start ups and freelancers there's a fair bit missing. Where's the chapter on creating brand manuals? Executions beyond just a letterhead? (Thinking about other applications beyond just sticking the logo on the side of a van pinched from shutterstock!) How to supply the digital files for differing purposes? (I'm fed up with getting say a jpeg from a designer when I need transparency or to scale it) - I could go on but you get the idea...

Worth buying - particularly at the reduced Amazon price as it's a good logo ideas primer with some decent tips thrown in as opposed to being a truly definitive guide.

SFR Camden Girls Adjustable Inline Skates - Large (UK3 - UK6)
SFR Camden Girls Adjustable Inline Skates - Large (UK3 - UK6)
Offered by Longboards UK
Price: 39.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Skate but impossible to get replacement brake pads, 24 Jan 2012
Got a pair of these for both of my daughters. They're a good skate for the price. But and this is a big but, replacement brake pads are impossible to source. With use the brake pads wear (that's what they're designed to do) and you're going to need to replace them. No joy getting them anywhere. I even talked to the company that makes (imports?) them. They couldn't help as they have no idea when they might have some available again. Hmmm... Do they really think I'm just going to buy another pair of skates instead? Well, I guess I might have to but I'll avoid SFR next time. Shame because they're actually a good kid's skate.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 4:32 PM GMT

A View From The Foothills: The Diaries of Chris Mullin
A View From The Foothills: The Diaries of Chris Mullin
by Chris Mullin
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gossipy book, 3 Nov 2011
I've come to this book late, in many ways though I think this book is essential reading if you even have a passing interest in the New Labour period. I've read quite a few of the various autobiographies from the period but Chris Mullin's diaries of the day to day banality of his time time as an MP are more enlightening than the more weighty and 'worthy' books from this period.

This book is unusual though, in that, I came away from the book thinking a lot less of the author than before I started. Normally with such books it's the reverse. His endless whining - while throughly amusing reminds me of Marvin the Paranoid Android - 'Brain the size of a planet and look what they've got me doing!'. However, when actually given something to do he first very carefully ensures it won't mean he has to work late or interfere with his weekends. Even through the filter of his writing the exasperation and frustration of his colleagues is very apparent.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea - Not 100% accurate, 2 July 2011
I just swim for fitness really, mostly crawl but with the odd bit of breaststroke thrown in. As I've never been able to count my lengths - my mind always wanders, this looked great. Other people jump out of the pool and rattle off how many lengths they've done - how many that week etc etc - all I can respond with is a sort of shrug and the comment that I just plug up and down for half an hour.

It was therefore with great excitement that I took this gadget down the pool for it's maiden dip - the results though were a bit of a disaster. At first a few lengths of the breaststroke recorded perfectly - then I switched to the crawl and - well nothing! No more lengths recorded.

It's actually taken quite a bit of fiddling and several swims to get this to work well. It now records but does drop a couple of lengths per 30 min session. I guess its giving me an error rate of about 4% ish. For me that's fine and the watch is a 'keeper', but if you need to be super accurate you might have issues.

So the advantages of this are that you get to know your laps and no need to click anything at the end of each lap. it's pretty good value (other swimming / general watches aren't too far from this in price) and I've found that using it is spurring me on to beat yesterdays lap count. The support (via email) is really quick and responsive.

Disadvantages - not 100% accurate. Have to wear mine almost uncomfortably tightly on the inside of my right wrist to get it to work. Analysis is pretty basic and the button pushing sequence can be a bit confusing. (I wonder how many people have deleted records by mistake.) The watch itself while small is quite chunky.

So I'd recommend this - the price is OK and it does work.I'm now happy with mine. It does however, very much feel like a version 1.0 at the moment that could do with some polishing / new features.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2011 9:31 AM BST

A Monster Calls
A Monster Calls
by Patrick Ness

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark tale for all of us, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: A Monster Calls (Hardcover)
Wow!

I heard this book being discussed on the radio. Normally such reviews are an exercise in intellectual one-upmanship but in this case the book had sort of shocked everyone into a "you must just buy it" type of recommendation.

I did, and as everyone else has said this is an immensely powerful book.

It brilliantly shows how the innocent smugness we hold as to how well we think we will cope with such loss (we imagine the 'noble' grief, the sympathy, the self-sacrifice etc etc) gets wiped out when Conor's monster calls...

I was also struck by how the whole story felt like an dark ancient (saxon?) folk tale with it's riddles, word play and grendal like evergreen enigmatic monster at it's heart.

Do buy the book (not the ebook) the illustrations, design and production perfectly match the story.

Page: 1 | 2