Profile for Dolphin > Reviews

Content by Dolphin
Top Reviewer Ranking: 60

Dolphin
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Manuka Doctor Replenishing Facial Oil 30 ml
Manuka Doctor Replenishing Facial Oil 30 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't see any difference, 27 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I have become a fan of some of the Manuka Doctor skincare range in a very short period of time, this is not one of the hits for me.

It is a light oil, shipped in a glass bottle and dispensed via pipette, so it is easy to control exactly how much you use from a single drop to as much as you desire.

I found it initially left quite a sheen on the skin; even though I kept the amount applied to the minimum and, despite massaging as instructed, it took a long time for the oil to be fully absorbed. But it then felt (and looked) as though I hadn’t applied anything. I can’t see this adds anything whatsoever to my skincare regime. I’ll update if anything changes but this isn’t something I would use regularly at this stage given the lack of results I have seen.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Repairing Skin Cream 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Repairing Skin Cream 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A stand out product, 27 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a light lotion-style skin cream, supplied in a pump-action bottle. Note that this is designed to be used alongside other items from the apinourish range (or mix and match depending on your skin’s needs) and thus this day cream does not include any sun protection itself. I used the range’s revitalising day cream afterwards, which includes SPF15 and thus ticks that box.

The scent is light and slightly unusual (not unpleasant), not matching the other items from this range that I have tried. As it is lightweight, it spreads well across the skin and does feel nicely hydrating, particularly beneficial on the dry patch I seem to have developed recently. I found it had a calming effect on my skin, which felt much smoother after application, to the extent I was happy to go foundation-free.

It is part of the Manuka Doctor ‘apinourish’ range and contains purified bee venom, which has been harvested (according to the box) in a bee friendly way. I do hope so. Anyway, the presence of bee venom means that you need to do a patch test to check for adverse reactions before using and you should avoid this product if you have an allergy to bee stings (or any of the other ingredients). I don’t have a known allergy but proceeded with caution ‘just in case’.

I have always looked after my skin, applying a range of moisturisers morning and evening to cleansed skin. This repairing skin cream (and the rejuvenating face mask from the same range) stand out to me as having made a real difference to the feel and appearance of my skin. There are some introductory kits available that enable you to sample some of the products from the range, so you can see whether it makes a difference to your skin before going for a full sized purchase.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Rejuvenating Face Mask 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Rejuvenating Face Mask 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nourishing, 26 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I rather like this rejuvenating face mask, which is part of the Manuka Doctor range. It contains purified bee venom, which has been harvested (according to the box) in a bee friendly way. I do hope so. Anyway, the presence of bee venom means that you need to do a patch test to check for adverse reactions before using and you should avoid this product if you have an allergy to bee stings (or any of the other ingredients). I don’t have a known allergy but proceeded with caution ‘just in case’.

The cream is fairly thick and feels a little bit like putty/mud face masks. It has a light fragrance that is probably honey and you are advised to apply it after cleansing, leaving it to work for up to 30 minutes.

I found it was immediately cooling on the skin and then felt a short-lived tingling sensation, despite a negative patch test and no known allergies to bees. I left this to work for the full 30 minutes recommended and then wiped the residue away (most had been absorbed) and rinsed. My skin was left feeling hydrated and, although I deny their existence, the little wrinkles that are starting to form seemed less visible; perhaps I can truthfully deny they are there now.

I have always looked after my skin and apply moisturisers morning and evening to cleansed skin. Despite that regime, I do think that this has made a positive impact on the appearance of my skin over and above what I can normally achieve, particularly to a small patch of dry skin that nothing else seemed to touch. I’ll update once the pot is used up but my initial impressions are very positive.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Revitalising Day Cream SPF15 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Revitalising Day Cream SPF15 50 ml
Offered by Blue Herbs

4.0 out of 5 stars No wow factor, 25 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A good, nourishing day cream from the Manuka Doctor range that contains bee venom. This means that you need to do a patch test to check for adverse reactions before using and you should avoid this product if you have an allergy to bee stings (or any of the other ingredients). I don’t have a known allergy but proceeded with caution ‘just in case’. It includes SPF 15 for day wear protection, is lightly and pleasantly scented and presented in a screw-top jar for easy application.

Having passed the patch test, I found the cream to be richly hydrating on the skin whilst also being readily absorbed without greasy residue. I noticed my skin felt slightly tender, not uncomfortable but different to usual and, in the absence of any reactions, I guess that is the result of the bee venom going to work. However, although my skin felt hydrated (as well as slightly odd) I did not notice any wow factor as a result of the presence of bee venom as an ingredient.

It is a good day cream although the bee venom had no discernible impact on my skin’s appearance over and above any other skin protection cream. There are some introductory kits available that enable you to sample some of the products from the range, so you can see whether it makes a difference to your skin before going for a full sized purchase.

Zyliss Swift Dry Salad Spinner, Green, Large
Zyliss Swift Dry Salad Spinner, Green, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars No more soggy leaves, 25 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was my first time using a salad spinner and I am already sold on this method of washing and drying salad leaves. It is also good with other items such as spinach and mushrooms, both of which I find are particularly good at clinging onto water – this defeats them with ease.

It is so simple to use:

• Add washed items to the green colander and place back in base,

• Cover with lid and unlock the lever using the slider,

• Pump the lever (very easy) and watch the colander spin away through the lid,

• Wait for the spinning to stop or press ‘stop’ and check contents. It takes only a few seconds to achieve virtually dry ingredients and the longer you spin the drier the results.

Washing up isn’t too bad as the inner lid separates from the spinning mechanism so that all parts that come into contact with food can be thoroughly cleaned. The more complicated top lid that contains all of the moving parts can then be wiped clean.

It is an intuitive item to use even for a novice like me and I’ll be back to growing my own salad leaves this year now that I can be certain my produce won’t end up a soggy mess when I remove the ever-present greenfly. Whilst it is a large item and I will have to find space for it, it is worth it and a clear out of some rarely used gadgets is well overdue…

Rapesco A4 Heavy Duty Clipboard - PVC - Black
Rapesco A4 Heavy Duty Clipboard - PVC - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited life potential, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As clipboards go, this feels fairly robust although, as it is made of PVC covered cardboard, will always lack some of the stability of the hard-plastic alternatives. It has a large bulldog-style clasp to hold papers firmly in place, which is capable of holding around 200 sheets at a time.

The board has a couple of shortcomings, one ‘nice to have’ would be an elasticated tie towards the bottom that would give the option of holding paperwork flat if working outside. The other thing that is a design-fail is the penholder; nice idea but none of my thin-bodied disposable pens fit and there is no chance of a fountain pen getting anywhere near fitting. I only managed to find a pencil that fitted and that was a very snug fit.

In terms of longevity, the design will have a limited lifespan due to its construct. The PVC coating on the one I received is already splitting slightly around the rim and it is only a matter of time before the coating rips in that area. Cardboard is also prone to getting bent, particularly if the board is used outside or needs to go in luggage. Whilst it is inexpensive, I would probably opt to pay slightly more for a hard-plastic board; the one I have currently in use is around a dozen years old and still going strong.

Rexel JOY No. 56 Staples - Pretty Pink (Pack of 2000)
Rexel JOY No. 56 Staples - Pretty Pink (Pack of 2000)
Offered by love Office Stuffs (VAT Reg.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty in pink, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pack of twenty half-strips of no:56 staples in fluorescent pink, each strip contains 100 staples. Although the colour is vibrant, this is much more muted once attached to a document and doesn’t scream out ‘pink’; even so it will be more suited for personal rather than business use.

My only criticism is that the staples are supplied in a plastic box, which has already started to split and tends to spring open, allowing the contents to spill out and resulting in most strips being broken. A cardboard box would have been more secure and recyclable more easily, albeit masking the vibrancy of the contents pre-purchase.

Rapesco Supaclip 40 sheet Capacity, Stainless Steel Refill Clips - Pack of 50
Rapesco Supaclip 40 sheet Capacity, Stainless Steel Refill Clips - Pack of 50

4.0 out of 5 stars Clips, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have only recently started to use Rapesco Supaclips; in the past I have adapted bulldog clips or just used paperclips. I have to say I am won over by how easy these are to use and the neat presentation they provide, holding together from as few as two to as many as 40 sheets of paper in one go. If posting documents, I would reserve these clips for stacks of ten sheets or more due to the thickness of the gusset and use a paperclip for anything less.

This is a pack of 50 refill clips and you will need to buy a dispenser if you do not already have one.

The instructions are on the rear of the packaging but basically all you have to do is neaten any stack of paper you wish to hold together, insert the open end of the dispenser over the edge of the stack and depress the blue spring-loaded clip to effortlessly apply the clip. No torn or bent edges and thick wads of paper can be stored or posted securely to clients without compromising presentation.

Mr Men Little Miss Sunshine Jigsaw Puzzle (250-Piece)
Mr Men Little Miss Sunshine Jigsaw Puzzle (250-Piece)

4.0 out of 5 stars Novelty item, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This appears to be aimed more towards the adult rather than the young child market with a relatively tricky 250-small-piece puzzle depicting the chosen character in an appropriate scene.

Puzzle pieces are well formed, cleanly cut and snap nicely into place. They are supplied in a shaped tin, embossed with a colourful picture of your Mr Men or Little Miss character.

Everything is made to last although with such a novelty item I’m not sure how much use it would get in reality.

Post-it Notes - Neon Rainbow Yellow, Green, Purple, Pink, Orange - 12 Pads Per Pack - 100 Sheets Per Pad - 76 mm x 76 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Take note, 21 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used to wonder what all the fuss was about Z-notes, as they seemed no different to the ordinary post-it notes that come in a pad format. Z-Notes are post-it notes that are glued alternately at the top or bottom so they can be used in a dispenser This is my most-used size of Post-it note (76x76 mm square) and the one I choose most regularly for jotting down short phone notes that I scan into records or to add guidance to clients on paperwork, where they really stand out and thus do their job.

There are many dispensers available and they are often bundled up for little (or no) additional cost with a multi pack of Z-notes. Unless you use a dispenser, there is actually no difference to the user between Z-notes and the ordinary sort, so if you don't want to have a dispenser I would stick with whichever is the cheaper at the time of purchase (normally the pads). However, a dispenser increases the utility of the notes, means that you can easily take one note from the pad one-handed whilst on the phone and ensures that you can always find them when you need them, which is a priceless attribute if your desk looks like mine does.

I have come to rely on the Post-it brand as the notes adhere well to paper and a number of other surfaces but can be removed easily without damaging whatever they have been stuck to, no matter how long they have been say, between the pages of a book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20