Profile for M. M. Ellis > Reviews

Content by M. M. Ellis

M. M. Ellis (East Midlands, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Teach Yourself to Make Biscornu (Leisure Arts #5406)
Teach Yourself to Make Biscornu (Leisure Arts #5406)
by Bobbie Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars and I'm very pleased with the result, 1 Jan. 2015
I have just finished making my first Biscornu from this book, and I'm very pleased with the result. Importantly the instructions are concise and clear, which is a must for any book showing you how to make and construct anything.
It's a slim volume, but it does what it says on the cover. Recommended.

Stellar Plaza 0.45L Milk / Cream Jug
Stellar Plaza 0.45L Milk / Cream Jug
Offered by Heritage Home and Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Non Drip, 1 Jan. 2015
I was given the Stellar Plaza teapot as a gift by my cousin, so I searched around for the matching milk and sugar. You probably can't get over-excited by a milk jug, but not only can this be put in the dishwasher, I truly believe it's the first jug I have ever owned that doesn't drip when you are pouring the milk! And for this reason alone it's worth five stars/

Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 2
Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 2
by John Finnemore
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf Tango India - You're cleared for take-off., 1 Jan. 2015
This comedy works because of John Finnemore's wonderful script writing skills together with a truly superb cast. It should be made available on prescription as listening to this will cure almost all ills.
You simply cannot imagine a single aircraft airline with this motley crew ever taking off, but it does with knobs on. Roger Allam as the incredibly sarcastic First Officer Douglas Richarson is absolutely first class, and despite Benedict Cumberbatch being an A lister these days, I think he is terrific as Captain Martin Crieff.
Since this series concluded on BBC Radio 4 at Christmas with the Zurich episode (you "fly" to a different destination each episode), I say buy the whole set, you won't be disappointed.

Mapp and Lucia [DVD]
Mapp and Lucia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars ... certain if I should watch this as I had loved the "old" series with Geraldine McEwen and Prunella Scales, 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Mapp and Lucia [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't certain if I should watch this as I had loved the "old" series with Geraldine McEwen and Prunella Scales, and felt it couldn't be improved! How wrong I was. Despite not having previously been aware of some of the cast members, I really couldn't have enjoyed it more. I think Miranda Richardson based her version of Miss Mapp on the wonderful Prunella Scales version, just pushing the boundaries of the part a little bit further, and although I absolutely adore Geraldine McEwen, I would say that Anna Chancellor truly nailed the part of Emmeline (Lucia) Lucas,
The series has a quicker pace than that of the original, which I also liked, but in the original version I felt quite sorry for Miss Mapp, but this time I really wanted her to get her just desserts, and be take down a peg or two. which is testimony to the excellent acting skills of Miss Richardson. And although I don't remember having seen the actor Steve Pemberton (Georgie) before, he certainly gave the late Nigel Hawthorne a run for his money. Truly excellent viewing from an increasingly beleaguered BBC.

Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 1
Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 1
by John Finnemore
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Funny, 7 July 2014
I first came across this series on Radio 4 and I find it very funny, but totally refreshing, because there is no bad language, smut or innuendo. Just good clean fun. John Finnemore's scripts are brilliant and the cast really gel together well. Roger Allam as First Officer Douglas Richardson is a brilliant foil for Benedict Cumberbatch's Captain Martin Crieff, and in my opinion Stephanie Cole and John Finnemore as Carolyn and Arthur (mother and son), just cannot be bettered.

Plain Simple Useful: The Essence of Conran Style
Plain Simple Useful: The Essence of Conran Style
by Sir Terence Conran

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Stylish., 7 July 2014
I am a prolific reader of "Home Interest" books, and I have to say that this is one of the best of it's kind. I'm not totally minimalist, but I admit to a loathing of clutter, and this book fits the bill exactly for me. Admittedly, some of the items that Terence Conran enthuses about are neither to my taste or indeed within my budget, but the idea of furnishing your home with fewer, but quality pieces that you would wish to keep long term really appeals to me so strongly, that instead of buying an item of furniture to tide me over in the interim (as I would have done in the past), now I will wait until I can afford that exact item and cherish it even more.

The Poison Tree [DVD]
The Poison Tree [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Goode

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother if you have read the novel., 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Poison Tree [DVD] (DVD)
I read the novel (which I enjoyed), so I was looking forward to seeing the dramatization on television. Sadly, I was extremely disappointed. Firstly, quite a bit of the book didn't make it on to our tv screens. I know this isn't that unusual, but to me the producers cut too deeply. Secondly, the actors (I don't know any of them) were very wooden, and totally unconvincing. But the most maddening part is that the ending was changed, which seemed un-necessary. If you have read the book, I wouldn't recommend this.

Modern Holiday: Deck the Halls with Sewing Projects
Modern Holiday: Deck the Halls with Sewing Projects
by Amanda Murphy

4.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 1 July 2013
There are some lovely new ideas for Christmas/holiday decorations in this book.

The content is well laid out and the instructions are very clear. My only grumble are the templates, which require enlarging by photo copier. I wish publisher's wouldn't do this, it's extremely annoying. In my small town the only photo coping available is in the local library, and their machine cannot cope with 200% enlargements.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend this volume to anyone who wants to stitch their own decorations.

Simply Stylish: How to Revamp Your Wardrobe for Chic Style at Any Age
Simply Stylish: How to Revamp Your Wardrobe for Chic Style at Any Age
by Carrie Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Save your money - buy something else., 1 July 2013
This is a VERY slim volume indeed, and there are a number of blank pages within the book for you to write your own notes, which makes the written content even less!
Like the previous reviewer I believe that anyone could have written this. I know the subject isn't rocket science, but the author hasn't brought anything new to the table; it's all been done bigger and better before.
Not recommended.

Bond On Set Filming Skyfall
Bond On Set Filming Skyfall
by Greg Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply WOW, 17 April 2013
I hadn't been to the cinema for years up until seeing Skyfall in December last year. I enjoyed the film so much I was treated to the DVD, and now I have purchased this book.
The photography is simply WOW. There is very little text, however, this doesn't really matter as the stills speak for themselves (especially if you are familiar with the film).
Based on this purchase I shall be looking to add previous titles from Greg Williams to my collection, and I really can't recommend this title highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3