Profile for Sprootie > Reviews

Foldable Pop Up Mesh Washing Laundry Basket Bag Bin Hamper Toy Tidy Storage
Foldable Pop Up Mesh Washing Laundry Basket Bag Bin Hamper Toy Tidy Storage
Offered by Fusion Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but very lightly built, 23 Sep 2013
I bought this as a cheap solution to keep my dirty clothes in at uni and it does the job. I'm really impressed at how small it can fold up (it's possible to refold it, although it is somewhat of a puzzle). The fabric seems wafer thin to me, and I've used it for a little while, but I'm always conscious of how fragile it seems to be.
So you can't really argue with the price, and as is the case with life, you get what you pay for. It makes a great temporary solution, but I wouldn't rely on it for the long-haul.

Rotosound Silver Wound Violin Economy Set
Rotosound Silver Wound Violin Economy Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and sound, 18 Sep 2013
I'm learning the violin and accidentally snapped one of my old strings because I'm a bit clumsy at times and got a bit over-enthusiatic with the wooden peg. I decided to just replace all my strings as they're pretty old. I have to say that I was a bit cautious as most of the other strings I could find were at least double the price of these, but there was no need to worry. These are great strings, and as I've got a pretty rubbish violin I think they sound great. I'm sure if you have a thousand pound violin then better strings will sound better. So for me these were perfect. They sound good, they seem well made, and most importantly they are great value. Five stars easily.

You're Hired! Psychometric Tests: Proven tactics to help you pass
You're Hired! Psychometric Tests: Proven tactics to help you pass
by Ceri Roderick

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped settle my nerves, 18 Sep 2013
I got this book to help with applying for graduate jobs and it has really helped me get a really good grip of psychometric testing. I've now successfully passed a couple of psychometric tests so I can certainly say that it helped. I was really apprehensive about the prospect of doing lots of these tests but it's certinaly helped calm me and ease me into the correct way of thinking.
My only slight reservation is I would have liked a couple more practice questions, as in a lot more, but they do point you in the right direction to find lots more so that's helpful.
In all, this is a great introduction guide to psychometric testing of all sorts and I would recommend it to anyone who is a little bit intimidated by the prospect of it all as I was. It's not as bad once it's all explained clearly like it is in this book.

If You Wait
If You Wait

5.0 out of 5 stars A 4.5 Star Debut, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
The debut album by London Grammar, If You Wait, has, no pun intended, been well worth the wait. The band spent 18 months writing and recording this album, and that patience really shows. It feels to me like there's a lot of bands that rush to get albums out on a wave of hype, then they're rather disappointing, but this is not the case here.
London Grammar's sound could be summed up as a cross between the XX and Florence Welch. They have the chilled minimalistic vibe of the XX, but then Hannah Reid's voice just takes it to a new level. She can do the softer pieces very well, almost whispering at times, but then when it's required, she soars up. She has a tone in her voice that just fits perfectly with the accompaniment.
The album opens with a gentle synth riff which the guitar gentle picks away over the top of. Reid then begins the album with a very gentle opening, 'Hey now, letters burning by my bed for you'. The track continues like this until a gentle crescendo builds and the sound swells up before gently fading away. 'Hey Now' is there best known track to date, and makes a great opening to the album.
'Stay Awake', the second track starts with a ethereal sound slowly flitting around before a piano and guitar play almost in unison. A driving drum beat is then added and Reid's distinctive vocals are then thrown in.
The beauty of this album is how little seems to be going on at any one point. Everything feels like it's been very carefully considered and honed. Nothing feels like it's redundant. But all of this just draws more attention to Reid's voice and allows it to truly take centre stage as it deserves.
'Wating My Young Years', is a gentle almost soulful ballad. Reid wrote the lyrics about an ex-boyfriend, and it shows with lyrics like 'I'm wasting my young years'. The piano accompaniment with occasional guitar flits is London Grammar summed up in a nut shell.
'Metal & Dust' is another great track. It starts with a brief distorted sample and piano before Reid starts singing. The tracks then gains momentum during the chorus with a drum providing a sharpness to punctuate the rest of the rounded, delicate sound. Toward the end of the track Reid's vocals are heavily distorted and modified as the track grows towards it's pinnacle before gentle fading back.
'Interlude' is a gentle track, but sadly made very little impact on me. It has just Reid singing accompanied by a piano for most of the track. It's probably the weakest point in the album in my opinion, but every album has to have one I suppose.
The final track also shares it's name with the album, 'If you wait'. It's slow and gentle. It swells slowly in the middle and then fades away until it's only the strings guiding you to the close of the album.
This album is a masterclass of the philosophy that less is more. It's beautifully worked and structured and produced brilliantly. However my main fault with this album is that the tracks that are a little bit more varied just end up sounding boring in comparison to the four and five better one's.
In short, this is an excellent debut, one of the best for a while. Perhaps not as good as the XX's debut but not too far away. I'm not quite sure it's a five star album, but definitely worth 4.5 stars. I look forward to see if they can take this sound forwards and produce more great albums.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2013 3:15 PM GMT

Catherine Lansfield Ross Stripe Double Duvet Set, Nautical
Catherine Lansfield Ross Stripe Double Duvet Set, Nautical
Offered by Lifestylish

5.0 out of 5 stars Great duvet set, a good buy, 6 Sep 2013
I bought this duvet cover recently as I've just moved into a new flat, and I didn't want the hassle of having to go and look for sheets and duvets etc, as I don't have a car. The covers are made of a really good quality cotton and are really comfortable to sleep with. They also fit my double duvet perfectly, so I'm not sure if I could ask anything more. I definitely feel these were worth the money and I'm sure they'll last a long time, and give me many a good night sleep. As long as it doesn't run in the wash then these are perfect (I'll try and remember to post back on that front). Five stars.

Linens Limited Polycotton Percale 180 Thread Count Fitted Sheet, White, Double
Linens Limited Polycotton Percale 180 Thread Count Fitted Sheet, White, Double
Offered by Linens Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sheets, just what I wanted, 6 Sep 2013
I ordered these just before I moved into a new flat as I didn't have much time to sort things out there. These are great sheets and fit and although I had to pay a little bit for shipping it's just great not having the hassle of going to buy everything and try and get it home. These are of a good quality, so I'm sure that they'll last me for a while. Also, they fit my double mattress perfectly and are made of a nice cotton material that so far has helped me sleep soundly. I would recommend these quite happily to anyone. Five stars.

Drenge
Drenge

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bluesy Debut, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
The debut album by Drenge is a heavy blues rock work. It's based on the same template that the White Stripes have most notably used, a guitar, some drums, and a set of vocal chords. As far as implementation goes, they have far better drumming to the White Stripes, but lack that flair that Jack White has. Of course, if you have a secret dislike of the White Stripes and wish they could drum better then this album will be perfect for you. Another similar band that springs to mind is the Black Keys, who have really impressed me in the last year or so. Drenge are starting from not a bad direction and place.
What this album has in abundance is energy. A kind of raw energy that isn't the same with any other genre. The fact that they're from Sheffield also surprises me a little bit. I'm not familiar with the area, but it doesn't hit me as a blues rock hotspot.
My favourite track is 'Backwaters' which has a very heavy guitar that reminiscent of something the Black Keys would come out with, and the vocals are clear and have a wonderful bluesy tone to them. The drummer knows what he's doing and you can hear it on almost all of the tracks. The guitar solos aren't as screeching as I'd perhaps like, but other than that it's really good.
This is a great debut by Drenge. It's got fistfuls of energy and life, and manages to have an identity of it's own, which isn't easy. Any blues rock fan will really enjoy this album, and I would love to see them live. Hopefully they'll come north and I'll get a chance soon. I really do wish these guys get some recognition as this is a seriously good debut, and I look forward to good things to come.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2013 6:39 PM GMT

Loud City Song
Loud City Song
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical, Dark, Magnificent, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Loud City Song (Audio CD)
This new album be Julia Holter is really really good. Straight from the opening track to the end it captivates you. A word of warning though, this isn't an album you could ever call mainstream. It can be quite tough going, and isn't really something you'd put on in the background of a party. But if you give it a bit of your time, it sure does reward you.
It's been some time since I've heard such a gentle and majestic opening to an album. The opening track, 'World', starts with just Julia singing and a very simple accompaniment. Some more instruments join in as the track goes on, such as strings, but it never fells busy. It always feels sparse. It feels exposed and there's plenty of blanks, and I think it's great to hear something that isn't a wall of noise. You get the feeling that Julia Holter doesn't want to hide, and that confidence comes through, but so does the beauty of it all.
'Maxim's I' starts with a kind of hiss before some organ chords break through, followed by Julia's voice. It's less sparse than the opening, and is a bit warmer, but no less emotional or confident.
'Horns Surrounding Me' has a darker, edgier feel. It has whispers and a relentless bassline. The vocals are also delivered much more sharply with very few sustained notes. To say this is experimental would be an understatement.
'In The Green Wild' has an edgy bass riff that's accompanied by some rapid-fire vocals. You're never sure what the next track is going to bring until you listen to it, and that's one of the great things about this album. There's a track for every mood, and although it might take you a couple of listens to get the whole thing, it sure is worth it.
'Hello Stranger' is a kind of ethereal track that washes around, with Julia's vocals crisp and clear right at the front of everything. That's another great strength of this album. There's so much variation just in the vocals. In some tracks they're clear, some the lyrics almost spoken, and some they're almost impenetrable, just a faint whisper. I won't describe any of the other tracks of the album so that there's still some surprise there, but one of my favourite tracks is 'Maxim's II' just because of it's manicness.
I've read that this album is constructed around the french novel Gigi, and I've neither read it or seen the film, but from what I understand this an introspection of celebrity life. I'm not fussed what this album is about as to me it's a great album whatever. The feelings of the tracks are certainly indicative of celebrity life, there's highs and lows, and strange moments in between. This album hits every note it wants to.
To describe this album as experimental booths sums this album up, but also doesn't do it justice. It is experimental, in the way that there's some great ideas and a lot of the tracks feel very different. But it does feel like an album. It all fells like it belongs together, not apart. I'm certainly going to be giving this another couple of listens over the next week and hopefully it'll start to really sink in. This is one of the albums of the year.
In summary: it's tough, but it bloody good.

Life Unheard
Life Unheard
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Returns, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Life Unheard (Audio CD)
Seeing as the track listing isn't posted then here it is:

1: Big River (Live at Annex 14 NCO Club, Vietnam, Jan 1969)
2: I Walk The Line (Live at Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI, Jul 1964
3: Give My Love To Rose (Live at Wheeling Jamboree, Wheeling, WV, Oct 1976)
4: What Is Truth (Live at The White House, Washington D.C., April 1970)
5: Daddy Sang Bass (Live at The White House, Washington D.C., Apr 1970)
6: (Ghost) Riders In The Sky (Live at Exit Inn, Nashville, Tenn, Dec 1979)
7: Restless Kid (Demo)
8: Ben Dewberry's Final Run (Unreleased)
9: Life s Railway To Heaven
10: It Takes One To Know Me
11: Movin Up (Unreleased)
12: Truth

This is a great album for Cash fans. In particular this version of 'I Walk the Line' is my favourite version there is. It's such an edgy performance and I just love what that gives to the track.
The unreleased songs are also classic Cash. 'Ben Dewberry's Final Run' has that classic Cash bassline with a lovely guitar accompaniment.
In summary, this is a good compilation of cash songs. It's not quite got the flow of a full length live album, but it does have a nice twist in that it includes unreleased material. It's not too pricy either, so definitely worth a punt if you're a fan.

Performance
Performance

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sterling Debut, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Performance (Audio CD)
This is the debut album by Liverpudlian band Outfit. The principal genre is electronic, but it's probably hard to narrow it any further down than that. There's quite a few influences in the tracks, and if they chose, they could easily release singles that sound very very different.
The album opens with 'Nothing Big'. It starts with a sample being manipulated. Then deep synths are added. The bassline brings back memories of Boards of Canada's most recent release. The vocals are crisp, and are juxtaposed by the various samples flitting throughout. The chorus sings 'Can any body hear us?', and is very catchy, before effortlessly collapsing back into the next verse.
Next up is my favourite track, 'I want what's best'. This track has a great grooving bassline to drive the track along, with the synths and the vocals coming to the fore, particularly in the chorus, which I could easily see myself dancing too in a dark club.
The third track, 'House on fire', has a much more chilled vibe to it than the previous two tracks, and the vocals are haunting, and almost masked by the synths and bassline.'Performance' is a track that reminds me of Hot Chip. It got very clear vocals that are the heart of the track.
This is a very accomplished debut, and one that I hope get's them somewhere. The band have spent two years making this album, and it shows. It doesn't feel rushed, like they tried to ride a wave of hype. Instead it feels measured and thought out. It's good, and the best debut I've come across for a while. I'm looking forward to the next album already.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7