Profile for TheMynah > Reviews

Content by TheMynah

TheMynah

Page: 1 | 2
Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - so far, 12 Nov. 2012
Thus far I'm very pleased indeed with these. The light output is better than the halogen lamps they replaced and, of course, the power consumption is a fraction of those. OK, they aren't cheap, but the long-term savings (I think about a year at current prices, less if they increase again) are well worth it. And if the claimed 35,000 hour life is even remotely accurate those savings will be considerable. The other issue to which some refer - the unusual appearance when the lights are off - doesn't concern me at all. Good performance and the potential savings are all!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars OK as a first line of defence, 22 Sept. 2012
The plastic body of this device makes it feel a bit flimsy: so I don't think I can rely on it absolutely though it's better than nothing. I expected something a bit more obviously secure from Thule. I think a cable lock or similar looped tight around the carrier and through the car's towing bracket (so that this cannot be unscrewed) may be a more reliable answer to security.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective but a bit girly!, 25 Jun. 2012
This is some of the most effective anti-mozzie stuff you can get, without the horrors of DEET etc. The only downside is that the scent's a bit girly: but for 50% of us that won't matter, and the other 50% will put up with it for the sake of our comfort.

LINDY 2m SPDIF Digital Optical Cable - TosLink to Mini Optical
LINDY 2m SPDIF Digital Optical Cable - TosLink to Mini Optical

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but there are problems., 25 Jun. 2012
The cable works fine. However, the quality of construction isn't wonderful, in that the plastic plug covers are very loose, and can ride up the cable when detaching it from equipment. So OK if it's a permanent fixture, less so if it's not.

DURAGADGET Vehicle Air Vent Mount With Adjustable And Padded Holder For Apple iPhone 4S
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

4.0 out of 5 stars It works., 25 Jun. 2012
This works well. I didn't want a suction type holder and this seemed a reasonable alternative. I was (and am) slightly dubious about the robustness of the heater vents on my car, but I suppose I shall have to be extra cautious as and when I remove this device.

Mahler: Symphony No. 9
Mahler: Symphony No. 9

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware download sound quality., 13 Jan. 2012
I downloaded this because I wanted to hear for myself this provocative interpretation ("lifeless" or "ear cleansing" according to view). This was my first Amazon classical music download: and it will be my last, for it's the sound that it truly lifeless in this form. The bitrate used is quite simply inadequate for serious listening, I'm afraid. I now have a copy of the CD: and what a difference! It's hard to describe, of course, but the CD has an atmosphere and a more lifelike sheen to the sound that's immediately apparent on an A-B listening test. For the record I found the performance fascinating - the generally swift tempi radically change your perspective of the music, for example. Not my No.1 choice, but very well worth hearing once in a while. But NOT in its download format, I fear. One star for the dismal download sound: three or four star music, so a compromise overall rating.

Atacama Spike Shoes, 40mm, Set of 4, Black
Atacama Spike Shoes, 40mm, Set of 4, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, but a bit expensive., 1 Nov. 2011
These work well and allow the use of spikes without damaging floors. They so, though, seem to me a touch expensive for what they are, even though they are a specialist product.

Rachmaninov - Complete Songs
Rachmaninov - Complete Songs

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performances and value. But no texts!, 1 Nov. 2011
I agree wholeheartedly with the other reviewer about the quality of the musical performances: simply unmatched at the price and I do prefer the use of different voice types. But the lack of texts is a problem. Yes, you can get round it - you can get most of them (but not quite all) online. But that means that if you are going to listen to these discs while using your laptop to find the lyrics you have to be prepared to pause between tracks to get to the next translation/transliteration or go to the bother of creating a computer file that's in the right order. Maddening!

The Piano Rolls
The Piano Rolls

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll stick with the originals!, 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Piano Rolls (MP3 Download)
Interesting to have Jelly's piano rolls re-imagined on a modern piano. But ultimately the rhythms and accents are quite unlike any with which we are familiar from the recordings he made (especially the Library of Congress ones). Here the music becomes a bit "novelty piano" in style. Flawed and a bit mechanical though the original roll recordings may be when dubbed onto my elderly LP (really!) I think I'll stick with them.

Voches De Sardinna
Voches De Sardinna

3.0 out of 5 stars Good: but flawed presentation., 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Voches De Sardinna (MP3 Download)
I bought this as a download. The music is extraordinary, but the lack of documentation/lyrics etc. a severe drawback. Thus three rather than four or maybe five stars.

Page: 1 | 2