Profile for V Cameron > Reviews

V Cameron

Me Before You
Me Before You

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read recently, 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
One of the best books I have read recently. It explored a difficult subject with empathy . It appeared well researched and the characterization was excellent.

Fractured
Fractured

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed by the ending, 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
I was disappointed by the ending. The author either got bored by her plot or confused by it . A strong start but a weak finish. An easy read but like many others who have reviewed this book I found the frequent cliques and colloquial style became increasingly irritating and thus any empathy I may have had for the characters was lost.

Beautiful Ruins
Beautiful Ruins

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Ruins (Kindle Edition)
I very rarely dislike a book but this came close to it. I found the plot weak . In addition I found it cumbersome as it constantly changed time and place. Reading it on a kindle I think acerbated this problem. It was the first book I have read by Jess Walter and I am not inclined to read another. It did however improve as the novel progressed but I never really felt any empathy with the characters.

Christmas at the Crescent: A Noella
Christmas at the Crescent: A Noella

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare treat!, 9 Nov. 2013
Forget the fairy lights, skating rinks, and shop window displays- this 'noella' is the way to really start feeling Christmassy! Stir Up Sunday kicks off the perfect English Christmas in Bath: I felt as though I'd been picked up in a hand-held snowstorm globe.
You could taste Christmas from beginning to end, thanks to Veronica Henry's delicious, indulgent descriptions. Even Josie's fat, 'Titus podge', and her forgotten highlights, a 'treacle, toffee and caramel mélange', made me hungry for more.
If I had one criticism to make, Rebecca (Josie's rival for Giles, her ex, and father of their baby Titus)was laid on a bit thickly, along with her Prada perfume. Surely even she has at least one redeeming feature! However, I thought that the characters overall were developed brilliantly, particularly considering that Christmas at the Crescent is only a novella. Harry was especially well done- he was described so that we (the audience) was fooled into falling for him, without ever feeling that Josie really did.
The recipes at the end were also a lovely touch.
Enjoy!