Profile for Louise > Reviews

Content by Louise

Louise "looby" (Leeds, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Learn French with Paul Noble
Learn French with Paul Noble
by Paul Noble
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent introduction to French, 26 Sep 2013
I have come back to this course again and again over several years to remind myself of the French I have learned through it and always find it useful. You cover the basics of ordering food, asking directions, etc that you would need for a holiday but you also get a reasonably good grounding in French grammar but without a single reference to infinitives, plus perfect or any other jargon. I find this approach really helpful for remembering how to form sentences without getting hung up on gerunds and indicatives. The approach to grammar is to use an intuitive approach to building sentences, starting with a simple phrase and building on extra bits to turn it into a question or make it past tense.. By the end of the course you have covered the future tense (but not the irregular stems which are important exceptions to the rule), and the simple past and future tenses so you can talk about what you have done and what you are going to do, what you have to do, what you can do and lots more. You won't learn how to spell anything so this is not so good for anyone who wants to write French. If you want to learn more advanced French such as all of the Future tense or the subjunctive you will eventually need a more advanced course but I reckon this course will get you started and up to perhaps Grade A to C GCSE level in speaking (but not reading or writing, which aren't covered). The teaching methods are innovative and effective which is so much more than can be said for many other language courses out there.

Basil Blossom Shoulder Bag Olive Green 12L
Basil Blossom Shoulder Bag Olive Green 12L

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 19 July 2012
this bag has had regular use over the course of a year in all weather. I didn't like the white strap from the off as it looks quite cheap and lets the rest of the bag down. It also gets grubby quickly. The bag carried waterproofs, packed lunch and notebooks etc to work and was just about big enough. It kept my stiff inside dry even in the wet. The hooks were very strong and robust but eventually the board that stiffens the back of the bag came through the fabric. All in all it was pretty good but I've now replaced it with another basil bag that looks more like a handbag, purchased from Rose bikes.

Acme Made The Bowler Red Camera Case
Acme Made The Bowler Red Camera Case
Offered by RK Photographic
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a very attractive camera bag but a bit small and no strap, 30 Dec 2011
This is a very stylish camera bag compared to the usual fare available. It takes my canon 300d and a lens with space for a few other bits and pieces but no space for extra lenses. As it is shiny red plastic it should be easy to clean and be reasonably water resistant. It has small loops hidden in the side pockets for a shoulder strap but none is supplied. I have just ordered a strap from bagscompany on ebay for under a fiver so hopefully that should sort out that issue. The comment from my boyfriend when he saw it was that if he was going to use the camera it certainly wouldn't be with this bag. It's definitely girly!

Thermos Mondial Food Flask, Assorted Colours, 0.5 Litre
Thermos Mondial Food Flask, Assorted Colours, 0.5 Litre
Offered by MightyHousewares
Price: 11.45

2.0 out of 5 stars This flask leaks, 21 Nov 2011
If you pre-warm the flask with boiling water if does keep your food warm. However, I'm going to have to shell out to get an alternative as this flask leaks if it is placed on its side. I cycle to work and my flask inevitably ends up horizontal in my bag. The result is any liquid from my food or soup all over the inside of my bag and its contents. Not impressed.

Roberts Stream202 WM202BK DAB/FM/WIFI Internet Radio - Black
Roberts Stream202 WM202BK DAB/FM/WIFI Internet Radio - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars great Christmas present, 26 Oct 2011
I got this radio for Christmas so have had it 10 months now. I use it every day in the kitchen, mostly listening to radio 4 speech radio. I find the sound quality to be excellent, using mostly DAB. My boyfriend uses the wi-fi internet radio to listen to French radio and he finds the sound quality good with no connection problems. The build quality is excellent and I have ran it on batteries in the garden and it has coped well with this. I have had no problem syncing the radio to v-tuner to manage my internet radio stations. I would not hesitate to recommend this radio for listening to DAB or internet radio. I have a few niggles though, which may or may not bother you too. All of the controls and display are on the top of the radio and since the only place in my kitchen near a socket with any free space is on top of my fridge freezer I have to tip the radio to see the menu and controls, but I have found I can do simple things such as adjust the volume, switch it on etc without looking as the controls are quite tactile. I find the menu system irritating. Even as a reasonably techy person, remembering where my preset favourites and podcasts are on the labyrinthine menu is a pain and it can take several minutes of scrolling to locate what I am looking for, which means I rarely use the podcast feature. In addition, it sometimes loses the wi-fi signal when I'm listening to podcasts, which may be down to my dodgy internet connection which does drop out from time to time. However, the radio cannot remember where I was in the podcast when the connection resumes, so it restarts at the beginning of the programme. On the whole this is a very good radio and I expect it will last a long time and the irritation are only minor.

Master Lock Street Fortum Gold Sold Secure D Lock 280x110mm with 1200x10mm cable
Price: 28.60

3.0 out of 5 stars an irritating experience, 1 Mar 2011
This will lock your bike securely but I often found the key difficult to get into the keyhole without lots of fiddling. The lock also regularly fell out of its bracket when I went over potholes, which is an alarming experience when you are travelling at speed down a hill. The last time it happened I was whizzing down a hill and the lock flew off with a clatter. I uttered an expletive and decided to leave the lock where it lay and get one that was better quality and less hassle to use. By that point I had had a year of use from it and it was beginning to look decidedly the worse for wear.

Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
by Pam Corbin
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book and practical recipes, 7 April 2010
I used this book last summer to make chutney and summer berry jam, which we are still enjoying. The pictures and design are lovely and the information is comprehensive. I want to have a go at the more adventurous alcoholic preserves this year.

Making Money: A Discworld Novel
Making Money: A Discworld Novel
by Terry Pratchett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars as entertaining and witty as ever, 4 Feb 2010
I really enjoyed this book and finished it within a couple of days because I couldn't put it down. The plot is ingenious if farcical, and has uncomfrtable resonances with what's been happening in the real world economy. There were a couple of duff jokes but this was in general the sort of romp we've come to love from TP.

Lifesystems Mountain Survival Bag - Orange
Lifesystems Mountain Survival Bag - Orange
Offered by Sub Zero Store
Price: 3.25

4.0 out of 5 stars haven't used it for real, 4 Feb 2010
This is a bright orange heavy duty polythene bag. It's quite heavy, there might be lighter - but possibly more expensive - alternatives out there, but for an emergency shelter this will do the trick.

Travels with Herodotus
Travels with Herodotus
by Ryszard Kapuscinski
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars there's no better way to travel the world than with Herodotus, 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: Travels with Herodotus (Paperback)
This book is a combination of reflection on Herodotus and his travels, and a life spent travelling the world in the modern age. I learned a lot about Herodotus and Kapuscinski writs so beautifully you could eat his prose for dinner. The book covers a massive geographical scope and huge historical one too. The author is incredibly well informed about all of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3