Profile for Jack > Reviews

Content by Jack

Jack "Design Engineer" (Birmingham)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nordvek 100% Genuine Premium Quality Natural Sheepskin Rug # 601-100 - Natural, Child
Offered by Oakgrain Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 19 Aug. 2011
I was only looking for something comfortable to sit on so was not too concerned with quality and just bought the cheapest sheepskin that was still a good size. I was therefore delighted with the product I received since it is thick and soft and free from any defects. Who could ask for more?

Hitachi XL Series 320GB USB 2.0 Ultra Portable Hard Drive - Black
Hitachi XL Series 320GB USB 2.0 Ultra Portable Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, neat and smart., 6 Aug. 2011
Drive is very small and lightweight, but has a quality feel about it. The usb connection with no separate power feed makes it very easy to plug in and use straight away, but if you want a single plug usb lead you have to buy your own. The one supplied is a double usb just in case your supply is short of power.

I can't comment on the software provided because I formatted the disc before use and forgot to back it up first!

Satina Chrome Hanging Shower Cubicle Tidy Swedish Made 79cm
Satina Chrome Hanging Shower Cubicle Tidy Swedish Made 79cm
Offered by Norwood Trading Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made product., 6 Aug. 2011
As wire accessories go, this one appears to be well made to a good standard. The wire gauge used gives a good solid feel and the plating seems to be quite thick and should not rust. It functions perfectly well to hold soap, shampoo etc. and is long enough to be easily accessible. The only fault is a minor one and that is the plastic covering provided as protection for the glass. It is simply a cheap piece of plastic hose pushed over the wire which is not long enough or thick enough to do its job properly. It should have some properly designed plastic mouldings instead.

Armorall Clean & Shine Wipes
Armorall Clean & Shine Wipes

1.0 out of 5 stars No substitute for a wet wash., 6 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Armorall Clean & Shine Wipes
I bought these cleaning wipes based upon other reviews that raved about them. Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but they did not work for me! My intention was to use them to smarten up the car's appearance when it was just looking a bit dusty rather than when covered in dirt so I was not asking for much. However, I found that they became too dry to use very quickly and would then not remove any dirt at all. I was not using them in the sun, they simply did not appear to be wet enough to last for more than a single panel. I'll probably use the remaining wipes for cleaning the dash board.

Zyliss Safety Can Opener
Zyliss Safety Can Opener

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but some of the cheaper options work better., 6 Aug. 2011
This can opener is very well made and feels like a quality product with its soft feel grip and comfortable handle. However, it cuts the lid off the can in a fairly unconventional way and requires the lid to be pulled free even when the cut is complete. A gripping device is provided to help with this part of the operation, but I can't get it to work in any way that is helpful. A more conventional opener that simply allows the lid to fall off once cut is a more practical solution.

The opener work well enough and will probably last forever, but I'm not sure that I want it to!

Multi-Sharp® 1401 Shear & Scissor Sharpener
Multi-Sharp® 1401 Shear & Scissor Sharpener

4.0 out of 5 stars A little coarse but OK for the price., 6 Aug. 2011
I have always had problems sharpening scissors so bought this in the hope that it would at least produce a uniform cutting edge. It has achieved this and now all my scissors are usable again, but I can see why it is also recommended for sharpening shears. It is quite difficult to produce a smooth, fine edge especially when the sharpener is brand new. Even after a few uses I still find that it is only suitable for general use scissors, but would probably be ideal for garden shears.
I am pleased with the product because I don't have very exacting demands for sharpening, but it would be less satisfactory for fine work such as hair cutting or dress making.

Siemens WM14P160GB 8 Kg 1400spin White Freestanding Washing Machine
Siemens WM14P160GB 8 Kg 1400spin White Freestanding Washing Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent machine, 16 July 2011
I bought this machine on the recommendation of the engineer who came to mend my previous Hoover washer. This proved to be beyond economic repair due to the one-shot assembly methods used in its construction in common with a lot of the other cheaper machines. The German makes still tend to be repair friendly and of these the Siemens is supposed to be one of the more reliable.

It is certainly a very quiet machine and has a feeling of quality about it. The door is robust and the feel of the switches is good. All buttons are touch sensitive with beep confirmation.

My wife reports that the standard of the wash seems to be very good and leaves the clothes quite dry even when using the 1200 spin speed. Programming is very simple and intuitive with not too many useless options. The load capacity is good and the drum volume sufficient.

Installation was not a direct replacement job which was a nuisance. I had to buy longer hoses for both feed and drain due to them being on the opposite side to my old machine. This perhaps had more to do with my old hoses being a bit short rather than anything you might describe as a fault, but worth checking. Also worth note is that I bought mine from Dixon's and paid £200 less than the Amazon price so it is worth shopping around.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Price., 9 Jun. 2011
Sadly I paid much more for the lamp that I bought and the Amazon price is very good indeed. I bought mine mainly because the shape is more attractive than the usual rectangular lamps and the quality appears to be very reasonable. So far it has performed well and is very bright.

The slightly negative side is that the instructions are rubbish! I only knew how to set the light up because I have done it before, otherwise it would have been trial and error. It is not that difficult, so this should not put anyone off buying.

Omron C29 CompAir Pro Nebuliser
Omron C29 CompAir Pro Nebuliser

5.0 out of 5 stars Why spend More?, 20 May 2011
The C29 is a well made product with a 3 year guarantee that seems to work perfectly well. The noise level is similar to or slightly lower than other nebulisers I have heard (so it is still pretty noisy!) and it has no frills such as timers, just a simple on/off switch. It comes complete with face masks, mouth pieces etc and also spare filters.

I believe the C28 model is even cheaper, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap

5.0 out of 5 stars My Cat Loves it., 20 May 2011
I bought this rather than the competitor product because it seems to be able to work with any chip type and does not have the restrictions applied to the other flap. I also bought the adaptor plates and cavity wall extension tubes to go with it (direct from the supplier was cheapest option for these).

The cat flap is very well made and was easy to fit once I had persuaded a friend to cut a hole through the brick wall. This was a 10 minute job with an electric chisel. I was a little concerned that our cat would not like negotiating the tunnel through the wall, but once left alone she managed it easily. She just could not understand why we would no longer get up to open the door for her! She is now in and out all the time. The door and tunnel are both quite small and while it is fine for an average size cat I can see why they say it is not suitable for very large cats. Something worth checking if your cat is big!

The only negative I have found to date is that the selector switch for controlling the door is not clearly marked. You therefore have to be careful when setting it so that your cat is not locked in or out unintentionally.

The wall adaptor kit was overpriced, but makes a neat job and I would still recommend this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3