Profile for Tom Bombadil > Reviews

Content by Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil (SE England)

Page: 1 | 2
Octonauts Octopod Playset
Octonauts Octopod Playset
Offered by Fun Collectables

1.0 out of 5 stars Product maybe OK (not even unpacked!) but Amazon Marketplace was not, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Octonauts Octopod Playset (Toy)
I spotted this as potential present. It was listed at £42 but I was actually charged nearly £50. When I questioned this I got a terse response saying that prices may vary at any time - even though, both at the time of adding it to my basket and even after submitting the order, the product was still being shown at £42 (- I took a screen copy as evidence). By the time I went back to them again the price displayed on line was £30! I therefore requested a return. The shipping cost me £8, but at least I got my £50 back. I have purchased the present from a non-Amazon online supplier at about £31.
(This is the second time I've felt like I was being maltreated by Amazon and/or its MarketPlace in just a few months; so, setting these alongside the tax and working conditions issues associated with the company, I have decided never to use the company again until and unless it's reformed.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 11:59 AM GMT

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 500 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush with Precision Clean Brush Head
Offered by Rodgers Enterprise

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, while it lasts, 9 July 2013
My dentist recommended using an electronic toothbrush, and he was right to do so as they do make a difference, However, I am now (foolishly) on my third Braun unit and none of them have lasted very long at all. They are great while they are running, but my most recent one died in less than 9 months. Thinking that I had in law a 12-month guarantee on all electronic goods I contacted Amazon for a refund/replacement. I was told in my online chat (started when the web site told me a return was ruled out) that electronic toothbrushes are classified by Amazon as 'Health & Beauty' products and only covered for 30 days. I will purchase no more electronic items from 'Health and Beauty' - this is an entirely unsatisfactory set-up. Be warned.

Shipwrecks Happen
Shipwrecks Happen

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful way to while away the hours, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Shipwrecks Happen (Kindle Edition)
This would, I confess, not be my usual choice of novel - I'm more of a Le Carre devotee to be honest, and if truth be told most of my reading is non-fiction. However, not for the first time, I have been swept into an unlooked-for gem of story and am so pleased it was recommended to me. The 'acid test' for me is always whether I 'care' about the characters and what happens to them: I did, very much so, and am left now bereft of their company and wanting more.That this is a first novel is quite remarkable. I know East Kent reasonably well, and the author has captured it precisely: it's very easy to walk with her characters through Canterbury Cathedral's Precincts and along nearby shingle beaches past heavy wooden breakwaters; excellent descriptive prose. Do read it.

Science Under Suspicion
Science Under Suspicion
by Maurice Crosland

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoughtful overview, 15 Nov. 2012
Having read Prof. Crosland's earlier monographs on the history of the laboratory - a story in which the UK figures prominently as we moved out of 'magic tricks' and alchemy towards the modern incarnation of science - I was curious to learn of his conclusions regarding the wider matter of whether science, and scientists, may be trusted? This is a short, accessible work covering the history of the topic and broadening its scope as it progresses but there is more than enough between its covers to cause the reader both to ask pertinent questions and to identify with the complexity of the possible answers. The author is, primarily, a historian and the professional scientist may take exception to one or two technical matters in terms of their presentation to a non-expert reader, but that ought not to detract from usefulness of the book overall in terms of its noble attempt to explore a matter of contemporary public interest without resorting to emotive or dogmatic arguments.

Sterimar Hypertonic Nasal Spray 100ml
Sterimar Hypertonic Nasal Spray 100ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A real find, 3 April 2012
If, like me, you're unable to take anti-inflamatories to relieve cold/hay fever symptoms in your nose/sinuses - or even if you prefer not to take these drugs at all - then this is a good choice. I tried 'home made' salt solution irrigation methods, but found it all too messy and time-consuming and my local pharmacist suggested Sterimar. Together with its simpler analogue (Sterimar Nasal Spray - no added copper salts) these salt water sprays are a real blessing - simple to use and very effective: they pretty much do what the maker says.

Pest-Stop 500 Pest Repeller
Pest-Stop 500 Pest Repeller
Offered by Suds-Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, almost, 3 April 2012
After my daughter told me that hers had worked well I decided to buy this in the hope that it would bring to an end the death toll wrought by my 'conventional' traps: we live in a semi-rural setting near a farm and mice in the garage represent a common issue. The device has been running for several weeks now, with relatively clear line-of-sight to the up-and-over door under which they come. At this time of year (Spring) I'd not be surprised at having one incident per week, sometimes more, and this was certainly the case in the run-up to buying the Repeller - in the time since I turned the unit on I have had only one. So, not a perfect record, but a very real improvement nonetheless.

Beautiful Outlaw: Experiencing the Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality of Jesus
by John Eldredge

5.0 out of 5 stars A potential game-changer, 2 April 2012
I'd found and watched the video online and thereafter ordered the and read the book. The literary style is very much at the 'laid back' end of the spectrum, and the nationality of the author is apparent from the cultural references: but these are entirely trivial observations which fail completely to convey its potential importance for those who need its message. It's so refreshing to hear someone discuss rationally, and on the basis of what's written clearly in the Bible, just how different is 'christian religion' from christianity and how pale the church is compared to the character and personality of the man who started it all off. Don't get me wrong, I love theology, I love to dig deep, but if all one comes up with is a bit more 'polish' for ones doctrinal trophies then the effort is futile (or worse). Read it, please read it.

Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit
Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing's that easy ..., 2 April 2012
It works - and it's a blessing when it does. However, installation was most definitely not as easy as the 'instructions' lead one to believe when the box is opened: apart from the CD (which does hold the full technical manual thankfully - although it's fairly inscrutable) there's only a short series of cartoon-like drawings conveying the implied message that 'installation is simplicity itself'. The diagrams are a long, long way from what is needed - which is a step-by-step set of detailed instructions - since they really only bring one to the point of having plugged things in and switched them on. Thereafter comes the attempt to use the supplied software to activate the receiving unit, sort out router/Devolo passwords and access settings, etc. There are no helpful guides to this outside of the detailed manual and the process is not particularly intuitive - although eventually, after much trial-and-error, I got to the point of being able to detect a wireless signal at the at the other end - it's just that nothing would connect to it! I'm no slouch when it comes to IT, but I ended up sending an SOS to my IT-expert son (who has designed, built/installed and run entire systems within the education sector) in order to sort it out: he did it in less than 30 minutes, whereas I'd already spent hours and would probably have had hours still to go. Having said all that, it has seemed to work fine for the one day that it's now been in operation. You'll also want to download and install updated software from the Devolo web site; I probably ought to do this for the firmware as well, but am currently too nervous to try ... . My only additional suggestion is that you re-start your original router after installing the Devolo system as it may need to re-sync - mine ran very slowly indeed until I did this.

Toshiba 19DV714B 19-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV/DVD Combi with Freeview - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine as far as it goes, but ..., 29 Jan. 2012
This is a nice-looking secondary TV (ours is in the bedroom); it arrived OK, the setup went as per the manual and it mostly works just fine. However, the TV Guide is almost completely useless - for most of its pages we get no information whatsoever, no matter how long you wait, and the same is true when one uses the "i" button whilst tuned to a particular channel. It's surprisingly annoying to have to step through all channels in the hope of finding something to watch rather than be able to 'scan' them via the Guide. This is my first Freeview set, but I have seen many others in operation: this one is definitely not on a par in terms of responsive user-guide information - as a supplementary TV is the only reason to buy.

Caprica - Season 1, Volume 2 [DVD]
Caprica - Season 1, Volume 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Stoltz

5.0 out of 5 stars Frustration, 26 July 2011
I've rated this at 5* for the intrinsic/potential quality of the series, as one of the few TV SF stories around in recent years with intelligent novelty and requiring a little thought. It's probably not justified to 'blame' the producers of the series for putting commercial priorities over niche quality since that's presumably what they exist for: they're to be congratulated for giving it life in the first place, and the viewing public then determined its short duration. That having been said, it's a shame. The consequential rush towards a sort-of finish, no doubt responding in part to the criticisms of the first part of the series, leaves more loose ends than I can count - and huge disconnects with Battlestar Galactica. In that sense it fails to live up to its claims and leaves the viewer with a feeling of deep frustration. It is still worth viewing however if, like me, you enjoyed the BG series.

Page: 1 | 2