Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy

Apple iPod touch 64GB 5th Generation - Blue  (Latest Model - Launched Sept 2012)
Apple iPod touch 64GB 5th Generation - Blue (Latest Model - Launched Sept 2012)
Offered by MCSales

4.0 out of 5 stars a constant companion, 14 Nov 2013
I resisted buying an apple product for years, opting for a top-spec Sony Walkman when I finally joined the MP3 revolution.
Everything you've probably read about ipods is true:
Sound quality is nothing special: Having been used to the Sony, it was instantly obvious how much better the NWA A865 was for sheer musical ability compared to the 5th gen touch.
The Sony also knocks it into a cocked hat on music functionality - navigating through the music collection, equalisers, and its 'sense me' function, which I think is much better than genius.
Where the ipod scores is its sheer functionality in other respects. The internet brower is fast, podcasts I subscribe to are automatically downloaded, as opposed to having to connect the Walkman to the laptop and download it that way.
It's also got all the other stuff such as camera, notes, apps and a 64gb memory, which the sony didn't.
They are expensive but I take mine with me everywhere, and use it as others would probably use a tablet.
hopefully the memory will prove big enough to take most if not all of my music collection. I can see myself keeping it for years, just as a portable music storage device if nothing else.

Yousave Accessories Silicone Gel Case for iPod Touch 5/5G - Clear Transparent
Yousave Accessories Silicone Gel Case for iPod Touch 5/5G - Clear Transparent

3.0 out of 5 stars good, 14 Nov 2013
...but be aware that you need to remove the ipod from the case to dock it (at least when using the apple 30-pin adaptor)

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth

3.0 out of 5 stars good, but could be better., 14 Nov 2013
System loads and re-routes much quicker than my old Garmin. The device also has a handy 'standby' mode (good as Garmins take much longer to start up than TomToms in my experience). The voice recognition software is good - it usually understands what you say to it and it is easy to navigate around the menus.
The voice control was the main reason I bought the device, along with free map and traffic updates for life.
It's great to be able to start driving and plot your course via voice commands - saves a surprising amount of time. Maps are clear and have points of interest highlighted on them (which my old garmin didn't). You can press on a POI and it will tell you exactly what it is, how far away it is, and offer you the option of navigating there.
Battery life so far is much better than my old device, which had to run almost constantly on the in-car power cable after the first couple of months.
Unfortunately though, the traffic system on this device is nowhere near as good as the Nu Links version on my last device (and that wasn't brilliant).
Although you have to bear in mind that the traffic updates only cover motorways and main trunk roads, I have found that for a lot of my journeys, the sat nav traffic receiver (which is built in to the bulky power cable) is 'searching for information'. Often, it cannot find information. This happens in major conurbations - such as while driving on the M42 south of Birmingham. Bizarrely though, it always picks up traffic near a particular roundabout in leamington spa, before promptly losing it again when you drive away.
I nearly sent the device back as I thought it was faulty in this respect, but now I just think it is not a particularly good system. If you persevere (and use the additional antenna cable on the windscreen), you can plot cross-country journeys and it will pick up traffic data enough times along that journey to leave you reasonably confident that you are not going to encounter problems.
The other issue I've found is with voice control, if you use voice commands to select a destination, the final command should be 'navigate' to set that course. Unfortunately, whenever I've done this, it sets a course straight back to my house. It's just a firmware glitch I think, and isn't a major issue as you can just press the 'navigate' button on screen - which works as normal - instead of trying to say the command.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with what I got for the money, although I'd be tempted to pay an extra £50 or so for a device with HD Digital traffic if I had my time again.

SAMRICK - Apple iPod Touch 5 5G & The New iPod Touch 5th Generation - Transparent Screen Protector/Film/Foil (3 Layer Technology) & Microfibre Cloth - (Pack of 5)
Offered by Aero Communication Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but tricky to fit, 14 Nov 2013
I had to get the wife to fit these (as I do with all screen wipes as they are just so fiddly).
Once the better half fitted it though, I've had no problems with it.

JVC HAKD5Y Tiny Phones Kids Stereo Headphones - Yellow
JVC HAKD5Y Tiny Phones Kids Stereo Headphones - Yellow

3.0 out of 5 stars a hit with the kids, 14 Nov 2013
I bought these for my kids to use when watching DVDs in the car (so I can put my music back on) and wanted on-ear headphones because the kids struggled to fit in-ear varieties correctly. Unfortunately they are too bulky to use when sat in a child seat with side head protection. The kids like wearing them but cannot get comfy in their car seats, so ultimately, these were a waste of money from my point of view.

TDK T61951 ST750 High Fidelity Over-Ear Headphones
TDK T61951 ST750 High Fidelity Over-Ear Headphones
Offered by ASK

5.0 out of 5 stars big and bulky but amazing sound, 14 Nov 2013
I spent a lot of time researching which pair of headphones to buy and for the £70 I paid, these cannot be faulted. For my ears they beat Philips Fidelios and Seinheisser Momentum on-ears costing double the money or more.
As other reviews have noted, they are not particularly bass-heavy, but they are incredibly musical. Since buying them, I've been listening to a lot more music than normal just because It is such a pleasure hearing my collection through these headphones.
You need to use the (battery powered) internal amplifier to get the most out of the headphones, although if the batteries run flat (It took a month of regular use before that happened to me), the headphones will still work, it's just that the music sounds a little thinner and quieter.
They are comfortable for long listens and just about whereable out and about, although I do feel a little self conscious walking down the high street in them!
I nearly didn't buy these as other reviews suggested isolation was a problem - ie others may be able to hear what you are listening to. I have tested this by getting the wife to wear the headphones and I couldn't hear a thing so don't be put off.
I've since bought the TDK BA100 in-ear headphones for £40, which, while not as impressive, are also a good buy.