Profile for j murdoch > Reviews

Content by j murdoch

j murdoch (Awali, Bahrain)

Origins of Man and the Universe: The Myth That Came to Life
Origins of Man and the Universe: The Myth That Came to Life
by Barry Long

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're ready for it, you'll read it!, 13 April 2013
First, thanks to Barry Long for writing this book, it's immense, and thanks also to the many others who have been involved in getting it into print.

I've read a few heavies before this: I Am That - Sri Nisargadatta; many Tibetan books including the Tibetan Book of the Dead; a number of Krishnamurti books, videos and talks, the Bhagavad Gita, The Tao etc. I would also include the 3 books by Bernadette Roberts and although my list is not endless, there are many more of no less importance. No doubt you will have your own list.

In my spare time I do comparative religious/cultural studies and to help me do that I read history, science, psychology, philosophy and religion. Thus far, I have found the Barry Long book to be the center piece in my jig-saw. This book has been like going to the cinema, sometimes it's only when you get to the end of the movie that it all comes together and you get the feeling that your life will never be the same again.

Whilst it has been said that the Bible is the greatest selling book of all time, it is also probably the least read and understood. I for one have struggled with it for many years which in no small way is down to the subjective religious conditioning that was imposed on me in my early years. Although I gave up on the Church long ago, I refused to give up on Jesus and, after a long period of time, having finally divested myself of all the religious baggage accrued in my early years, I have come to know Jesus in a different light. With what I have gained from Barry's book, I feel at last I am now ready to read and understand the Bible.

Added 15-Jan-15:
I have now read this book four times. Usually I read 20 or so other books and then read this one again. I have found that each time I read it, my understanding deepens. Often I contemplate one verse or line for a while before moving on. It's the most complete book I have ever read.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars N9 Screen protector, 25 Feb. 2012
DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM - IT IS NOT FOR A NOKIA N9 AS ADVERTISED. I do not know what mobile this is for, but it is clear just from looking at it that it will not fit the N9. Amazon need to sort this out immediately unless they want to drive away customers. PS I would give a zero rating for this item but it is not possible, so I have rated it one star in order to file this review.