Profile for BrianP > Reviews

BrianP (Stockport, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit too sweet and everything falling into place too neatly for my ..., 21 Oct 2014
A bit too sweet and everything falling into place too neatly for my taste, but I did quite enjoy it. Gave it a chance after feeling the same about his previous book, but I won't be rushing to get any more of this author's books.

Riptide
Riptide

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Riptide (Kindle Edition)
I love John Lawton's books, which so brilliantly evoke their eras. Great characters too.

Guns, Germs and Steel: A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years
Guns, Germs and Steel: A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years
by Jared M. Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars I have recommended this book to everyone I know who is remotely ..., 21 Oct 2014
I have recommended this book to everyone I know who is remotely interested in history, evolution or politics. It is a seminal work, frequently quoted in other books and rightly so. A masterpiece from one of the great minds of modern times

Step Up Voltage Converter 110V - 220V 45VA US To UK Plug
Step Up Voltage Converter 110V - 220V 45VA US To UK Plug
Offered by CostMad-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars This works very well and allows me to take my ..., 21 Oct 2014
This works very well and allows me to take my non-dual voltage appliances to the US. Unfortunately, once or twice, it has caused a complete baggage search, so you have to really need the appliance in question.

The Meme Machine (Popular Science)
The Meme Machine (Popular Science)
by Susan Blackmore

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant book. I find the idea of memes fascinating ..., 21 Oct 2014
This is a brilliant book. I find the idea of memes fascinating and her theories explain so much. She also explains her ideas so clearly. Sadly, it's hard to imagine how the existence of memes can be conclusively proved to the same degree as the Darwin/ Wallace Theory of Evolution, but it would be nice to see religion (among other things) consigned to its rightful place as an aberrant mind virus that's far outlived its original evolutionary purpose and is now causing enormous destruction and harm in the world.

Shape Shifter
Shape Shifter

3.0 out of 5 stars ... massive fan of Carlos Santana and I was very disappointed by this album, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Shape Shifter (Audio CD)
I'm a massive fan of Carlos Santana and I was very disappointed by this album. It has the feeling of the sweepings from the cutting room floor, if that's not too harsh

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 21 Oct 2014
Slightly unsatisfying because of the short story format. I would have preferred longer stories where there was more resolution

TAKEN
TAKEN

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: TAKEN (Kindle Edition)
Unpleasant drivel. Gave up after about the first twenty pages

Six Years
Six Years

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Six Years (Kindle Edition)
Another great thriller from Harlan Coben, with interesting twists

Children of the Revolution: The 21st DCI Banks Mystery (The Inspector Banks Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars I always enjoy DCI Banks novels, 21 Oct 2014
I always enjoy DCI Banks novels, with interesting plotting and good characters. My only minor criticism is that my guess is that the high number of senior female officers is probably not realistic, even in the modern police force, given some of the endemic attitudes that I read about. Would that it were so!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4