Profile for ROGER C > Reviews

Tai Chi for Every Body
by Eva Koskuba
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect Tai Chi primer, 11 Nov. 2013
Out of print now, this is an excellent Tai Chi manual from martial arts masters Eva and Karel Koskuba who have distilled the philosophy and practice into an easily assimilated step by step tutorial. A perfect complement to practical tuition, and as they point out, no substitute for actual classes under a competent teacher, Tai Chi for Every Body contains all you need to know to either whet a beginner's appetite or give an experienced practitioner those little tips and tweaks which make Tai Chi such a valuable antidote to the pressures of modern life. World of Books found me two copies, both in excellent condition, and I would recommend anyone setting out on the Tai Chi journey to snap one up before its too late!!

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget 42, the answer's Kindle, 17 Sept. 2012
Confession time, I'm an Amazon author but up 'till now I didn't have a Kindle! A veteran crime writer with a dozen or so books to my name and now a shelf full in Amazon's big e-bookshop in the Cloud,I've been enthusiastically beavering away at the coal face of the greatest leap forward in publishing since Caxton without taking the giant step myself. Well now I've joined the Kindle clan I'm not going to dwell on the device itself, suffice to say it does exactly what is says on the box and does it brilliantly. So many other reviewers have covered the handling characteristics and debated the e-reader versus traditional book ergonomics. I was more interested in the reading experience and soon discovered that the Kindle actually enhances the joy of that most fundamental means of communication - words on a page - with consummate ease. I can imagine that devotees of the coffee table book with full colour plates or weighty technical tomes may take a little longer to convince, but for my kind of fiction, Amazon's Kindle is a hands down winner. Will it supersede Caxton? Not a chance, after all some folks think that new fangled television is going to catch on!

Live, No More Fish Jokes
Live, No More Fish Jokes

5.0 out of 5 stars Catch this Trout, it's delicious, 17 Sept. 2012
You've got to hand it to Walter Trout, he gives good value every time he picks up his guitar, and his live performances have that extra special sparkle as he engages the audience in the rockin' ride. This one recorded in real time at the Skanderborg Festival in Denmark and De Hanehof, The Netherlands is no exception. What I really admire about Walter is he's on the road all over Europe giving his fans live performances instead of making his music in the safety of a recording studio back in the USA. That takes guts and stamina for a virtuoso musician the wrong side of sixty who served his time with some of the top bands before launching his own special high octane brand. The twelve tracks on this CD are all top-notch but if I had to pick my favourites they would be: Girl from the north country, Motivation of love, Playing with gloves on and Prisoner of a dream. I'm not joking, this is one of the best Trout catches!

Flowers At Midnight
Flowers At Midnight

5.0 out of 5 stars A bloom for the witching hour, 28 July 2012
Take an Olympic summer dive into the pool of London's underworld for a fast and furious tale from page one. When a rising politician is secretly snapped getting down and very dirty with a Soho revue-bar beauty the scene is set for blackmail. But far from a quick killing, the scam opens a Pandora's box of nasty surprises. Nick Sweet pulls no punches with a story of greed, revenge and, ultimately, survival driven along on a tsunami of pitch perfect gritty dialogue and an evocatively penned portrait of London life both high and low. Racing through a whirlwind of murder, mayhem and skulduggery writ large to a nail biting denouement, Flowers will keep you guessing to the very end. So if you're up for a gold medal crime novel you won't be able to put down, Flowers will have you page turning well past midnight!

Hara-Kiri : Death of a Samurai [DVD]
Hara-Kiri : Death of a Samurai [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kôji Yakusho
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Bushido brilliant, 1 July 2012
I loved 13 Assassins for its powerful insight into the way of the Samurai, forsaking everything for the creed of the warrior. So when Hara-Kiri came out I was eager to see how Takashi Miike would follow up such a class act. Well the critics said it was dark and oh boy were they right! Fed up with being conned for money by paying off suicide posers, the ruling class make an example of one such impoverished Samurai only to reap the whirlwind when his friend comes along with a similar request. Sharply focussed and leaving nothing unobserved this tale of honour and revenge spirals to the inevitable bloody showdown. Not for the fainthearted, with scenes best viewed between the fingers, this is yet another stunning testament to the unbending way of Bushido and the unique genius of a great film-maker.

Endangered Species
Endangered Species

5.0 out of 5 stars nugget of gold, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Endangered Species (Audio CD)
When a band as good as this goes back to basics, something magical happens; stripped of the electronic wizardry, raw talent just shines through. With the crisp melodic touch of acoustics-only accompanyment to the gritty rasp of the Van Zant vocals, this is lyrical story telling at its very best. Devil in the Bottle, Saturday Night Special, Poison Whiskey, Hillbilly Blues all redolent of the Southern man so steadfastly defended in Sweet Home Alabama. But for me the hauning lament of The Last Rebel is the nugget of pure gold. There's nothing wrong with Heartbreak Hotel except it has Presley stamped all over it and I would have loved to hear Gimme Three Steps or even Freebird given the acoustic outing instead, but who am I to carp, I can't even play a guitar!

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Old rocker, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Where was I back in the seventies, on some other planet? How could I have missed the heyday of this great rock band? Thank the Lord for BBC 4 and the Amazon music store for saving me from missing out on the gritty lyrics of Ronnie Van Zant and the spine tingling duels of guitar outlaws so poor they had to collect pop bottles to buy new strings for their instruments! But hey, never too late, now I'm in my seventies a tv reprise of the band's canon sent me eagerly searching and hey presto, Greatest Hits, the perfect introduction to the unique sound of Lynyrd Skynyrd. From the anthems, Sweet Home.. and Free Bird to the allegorical Saturday Night Special and Gimme Three Steps, this collection is a great entree; makes you want to get the rest. For non aficionados Ron O'Brian's accompanying notes add texture to the CD with a spot on life-and-times narrative which puts Lynyrd Skynyrd atop the rock Pantheon. I'm just glad I found them before it was too late, and I can't praise Greatest Hits too highly. So if you see an old rocker in a LS tee-shirt, bet your boots it'll be me.

TRIXES Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle 150Mbps For Windows 7 / XP / Vista
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars TRIXES WiFi Dongle, 24 Feb. 2012
Excellent service and the wifi dongle works perfectly. I was somewhat dubious about attempting to connect my elderly hp tower to the internet without a skein of cable, so the device exceeded all my expectations and connectivity is better than my netbook. All in all I am delighted with both the service and the product and would most certainly recommend both without reservation.