Profile for Salomon > Reviews

Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant 2.6oz
Offered by BJOLI
Price: 36.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful gentle face scrub!, 10 July 2014
Fantastic product, I use it on sensitive skin and even near the eyes without any problem. A little goes a long way, too. Love it!

Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by Gtechonline
Price: 199.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal customer service, second faulty machine, 10 July 2014
I purchased my first Gtech AirRam in October 2013. It worked fine, although this is definitely not one for everything. Due to a lack of accessories, you cannot clean the corners well enough. Suction is good (what I would expect from a machine at this price) but the dust compartment tiny, so if you have a reasonably sized house you may well need to empty it several times while vacuuming.

After a few months my machine started to emit a burning smell, and Amazon was very quick to send me a replacement airram (their customer service so far really has been excellent).

However, now the replacement AirRam has started rattling and literally throwing the dust compartment off. I called the Gtech "HelpLine", who seid they were busy and they would call me back. All afternoon, no call back. I phoned again the next day, only to speak to someone who clearly didn't have a clue, kept putting me on hold to speak to the tech department. When I asked to speak to the tech department myself, I was told they were "busy" (I am not surprised!). Then the woman on the helpline told me the tech people had told her the lid was loose. I assured her, standing in front of my machine, that the lid was not at all loose. She disagreed (and may I add, in a very unfriendly tone - good phone manners go a long way in keeping customers happy!) - at some point she told me it was "an Amazon purchase anyway".

My advice: all the environmental aspects of the AirRam sound lovely, but the absence of tools makes it an expensive add-on machine, there are much better out there, and given the customer "service" I received I will never purchase an AirRam again.

In The Lonely Hour (Deluxe)
In The Lonely Hour (Deluxe)
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 31 May 2014
A truly stunning voice, great songs all of them, not one filler. Stay With Me and Make It To Me are my personal favourites, - feast your ears.

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy 2)
Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy 2)
by Deborah Harkness
Price: 8.86

3.0 out of 5 stars No pleasure, just guilty, 10 Dec 2012
Reading Discovery of Witches was a guilty pleasure, - yes in places it was quite cheesy, the sighing, bathing heroine and her handsome, yoga-ing vampire notwithstanding I thoroughly enjoyed the first book.

And now this. I disagree that you need a degree in classics or know several languages - translations and explanations are all in the book. BUT. Problem is, don't use languages in a book you don't know. I am bilingual and the German in the book is atrocious. There are also several historical mistakes (Shakespeare is mentioned a lot, but I won't even go there) and Americanism like writing the date with the month first - VERY un-British and interesting to see that in this book Brits are quite happy to adapt the American way, for no reason. These admittedly small mistakes do add up though and really started to annoy me.

Also there are quite a few things in this book that don't add up, - Diana can now do some spells (halfway through the book, we are not told this before) and conjure up things she desires, but the very thing she is looking for, Ashmole something, she doesn't seem to desire badly enough to conjure up. Why? This is the whole reason they travelled back in time.

The one issue that troubled me most about this book was that it felt to me to have been written by two people. Parts of the book are actually very clever without showing off and are very enjoyable, beautifully written to boot. Most of it is rather tedious, and some parts - how can that be? - are downright simple. It read to me like the author had had some off days, handed it to someone else and said "just put something romantic in it, she's a witch and he's a vampire". Some of the dialogues are excruciatingly cheesy. I would cite an example but really can't bring myself to read through these passages again.

So, a mixed bag. Can neither recommend this book nor warn you off, it left me very "blah".

Lady of the Lake
Lady of the Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Lady of the Lake (MP3 Download)
I came across this cd looking for relaxing yoga / meditation music, and what a wonderful cd this is. Very relaxing yet anything but bland, especially track 4 which is my favourite, this really takes you away from it all and helps create a calm atmosphere. I now even have it on in the background hile reading - bliss.

A Brand New Me
A Brand New Me
by Shari Low
Price: 8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands up anyone who wants more, 15 Jan 2009
This review is from: A Brand New Me (Paperback)
Having read all of Shari Low's previous books, I hoped that this book would be as good as her previous ones, so what a great surprise that this one is probably my favourite so far!Absolutely LOVED this book.

The main character is utterly lovable, and her "dates" very, very funny. You really cringe for/with her and can't wait to see what happens next.

I fully and whole-heartedly recommend this book, - turn off the news, forget the credit crunch for a few hours, make yourself a cup of cocoa and enjoy! Pure escapism!

My Best Friend's Life
My Best Friend's Life
by Shari Low
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed tears!, 18 April 2008
This review is from: My Best Friend's Life (Paperback)
I read this on a cold, rainy weekend, and boy did this cheer up two otherwise miserable days! It is not often a book makes me laugh so much, - I won't go into the plot again, suffice to say that it is sheer (guilty) pleasure to read about Ginny and Roxy who are so different and embark on a life-swap that turns everything upside down. In true form Shari Low delivers laughs and surprises on every page, and it's a shame when the book ends- you just want it to go on and on.
Pure escapism!!!!

Do Not Disturb
Do Not Disturb
by Tilly Bagshawe

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not disturb, 25 Mar 2008
This review is from: Do Not Disturb (Hardcover)
Picking up this book you would expect light entertainment, an interesting storyline, some loveable characters, etc etc ...

This book proves to me that, just as with comedy, when done well it only looks easy when in fact it may be just as difficult to write as so-called serious fiction. Unfortunately, "Do not disturb" felt too simplistic (two-dimensional characters, none lovable, predictable storyline etc) both in plot as in writing style to be entertaining. As for fun, it didn't raise a smile. The plot is linear and predictable - as soon as the characters are introduced, you can rightly guess who they will end up with.

At the same time it feels as though the author tries to cram too much into this book, some "heavier" themes which she then completely fails to develop (one of the main character's frail relationship to her father dying of Alzheimers, child prostitution, illegal arms traiding etc etc) which irritated me a lot. Better to have left it out altogether if you can't follow it through.

The most serious flaw however seems to be the author's lack of knowledge of how hotels are actually run, writing about the hotel managers reads very much like a guest would think it is done when in fact the behind-the-scenes are far from how it is depicted here; a little bit of research could have done this book a world of good. In addition, anyone who knows a little bit about the Hamptons on Long Island knows that there ARE NO big hotels with spas etc as described in the book, - a fact that is so ingrained to the very character of this area that having it described so differently is quite irritating.

So overall, bearing in mind this is supposed to be a light, entertaining read, there is a lot better out there.

The Thirteenth Tale
The Thirteenth Tale
by Diane Setterfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Contrived read, 1 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Thirteenth Tale (Hardcover)
I am so sorry but I really did not like this book at all, The one star here is purely for effort by the author, having written so many pages.

What boring characters! How two-dimensional, such self-absorbed vanity! I couldn't wait to finish this book and move on to something more original and better written, rather than this faux-gothic tale of very weird people indeed.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 3.50

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst films I have ever seen, 25 Sep 2007
Just to clarify: I loved the first instalment of this trilogy, a very unusual film in every way, and with that very funny, exciting, entertaining.

The second one I found a bit disappointing with too many gross effects for my liking, but still good.

But this one? The plot is all over the place, it's heading everywhere and nowhere, everyone doublecrosses everyone else, and after two hours I really couldn't wait for this to end (and so did three more previous fans that were with me). It's very dark (literally), full of meaningless special effects, no point to it whatsoever, no highlights, and worst of all - very boring! I can't even say give this a miss because you won't have missed anything!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3