Profile for Lasha > Reviews

Torchwood: Almost Perfect
Torchwood: Almost Perfect
by James Goss

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun read...with some reservations, 12 July 2009
If you love Torchwood and Ianto Jones, then this Torchwood tie-in book is for you. If you don't like the Jack/Ianto relationship, then I'd skip "Almost Perfect" as it features heavily in this one.

The reason I bought this book was to see if one of the authors in the Torchwood tie-in series could finally capture the Jack/Ianto dynamic that has come across on screen: playful, loving and oh, the amusing banter. Mr. Goss gets a B+ for effort, but by allowing Ianto to be stuck in the body of a woman for the entire book, he goes wimps out on the potential romantic homoerotic leanings that could have happened.

While I enjoyed the Captain Jack and Ianto banter I would have preferred Ianto to have regained his male form much sooner. And the subplot of the aliens (The Perfection) I found to be worse than any D plotline on Dr. Who, it nearly had me laughing becuase it was so lame.

So, good points: Jack/Ianto banter and chemistry. Rhys is in the book and he's just lovely. Just enough Gwen, not too much to annoy you, but she's not too underused to feel like she's being slighted.

Bad points: Alien subplot and the fact that Ianto is stuck too long in the female body (that could have been played for more humorous laughs, it wasn't, which is a shame).

Overall, its a enjoyable read if you like Torchwood and I liked this book more than the other Torchwood tie-ins I've read so far.

Torchwood - Children of Earth (Series 3) [DVD]
Torchwood - Children of Earth (Series 3) [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Barrowman
Price: 10.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Rent it first, 10 July 2009
SPOILERS!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

I've seen Torchwood: Children of Earth and while the 5-night miniseries that aired on the BBC is well worth your time if you are a die-hard Torchwood fan, I think casual viewers will be turned off by the dark tone of this series.

Each one-hour episode ends with a plot twist (cliffhanger). It seems Captain Jack and Torchwood made a deal with some nasty aliens called the 456 in 1965 and that is now coming back to haunt him. The 456 are back and they are controlling the children of Earth. What do they want? They want the Earth to give up 10% of the total population of children on the planet or they will kill us all.

Enter Torchwood who tries to stop them, but with a gov't hit squad after Gwen, Rhys, Jack and Ianto, will the team will able to stop the alien threat, let alone survive themselves?

We also learn more about Jack's past and are given more insight into Jack and Ianto's relationship, as well as a welcome surprise for Gwen and Rhys.

But the question of who lives and who dies is answered by Day 4. And a lot of die-hard TW fans were not happy with the response. i.e. A major character dies.

So if you are a 'shipper in this universe, then the third season of Torchwood is not going to be pleasant for you. It's going to be painful, very painful. Which is why I suggest you don't buy the series on DVD. Rent it first. See if you can deal with it, then if you truly love the plot, buy it.

So while I enjoyed the overall acting, directing and quality of the Children of Earth series, because of various plot points which to me were cliched, overdramatic and not necessary in my estimation - and blantantly deceptive given the advertising hype that Russell T. Davies and company put out about the series in the months prior to it airing - I cannot give it more than 3 stars.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2009 3:35 PM BST