Profile for Stelin > Reviews

Content by Stelin

Stelin

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)
Offered by GamersCorner

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Familiar, 7 Sept. 2014
I had played and completed Diablo 3 on the Xbox360 when it was first released. I eventually traded it for a new title after several weeks of very enjoyable play.

After upgrading to a PS4 and Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls came out for the new gen machines I was undecided about whether the game would warrant another bunch of my hard earned cash.

I opted to buy the latest release of game again, if only for another play through and to see if anything had changed. And I'm pleased I did.

I have already sunk tens of hours into this game and have re-discovered just how fantastic dungeon crawling, slaying, looting, levelling-up and generally exploring every corner of the varied maps can actually be. The various worlds are superbly well drawn and have more detail and texture than the last gen games. There are a few new monsters to slay and a new Act V (for those who didn't get the DLC released for the previous gen game). Act V is a wonderful set of levels that really capture the spirit and atmosphere of dungeon crawling in all its glory. Absolutely lovely.

Yes, Diablo remains all about mass-slaying of monsters and the game is essentially exactly the same as the old gen release but for a few added tweaks. The story is exactly the same (apart from Act V) and it all feels very familiar. That said Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls never gets boring even if you have played it before and it seems to have an added element of magic and sparkle this time around, just enough in fact to ensure that I'll not be trading this version. It has earned a permanent place in my PS4 library.

If you didn't play Diablo 3 on last gen machines and fancy a bit of dungeon crawling as an escape from the usual game genres, this might be just the ticket you're looking for. Or if, like me, you did play the previous gen and are currently sitting on the fence on this one, I would encourage you to jump off in the direction of your nearest retailer (or Amazon's home page) and grab a copy very soon.

4 Camera Digital Wireless CCTV System with LCD Monitor and PIR Sensors
4 Camera Digital Wireless CCTV System with LCD Monitor and PIR Sensors

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Nice Quality Hardware But Flawed I was really impressed with ..., 17 Aug. 2014
Some Nice Quality Hardware But Flawed

I was really impressed with this system when I first got it. It was really simple to set up and was working within minutes of unpacking and deciding where best to place my cameras.

The monitor is reasonably good quality and the display provides decent resolution. The buttons feel chunky enough, if a little clunky to use and the system's menu is generally straight forward and easy to understand, which is just as well given the instruction booklet is pretty basic and grammatically poor.

The cctv system records the footage from each camera in 5 minute blocks which add up to provide a continuous stream segmented into 5 minute chapters (which is relevant when you come to point 3 below).

The cameras are nice quality and feel well screwed together. They provide a decent picture with easy face recognition up to about 20 metres.

I married my system to a 2TB hard drive which provides around 3 months of continuous recording. I would recommend getting an external hard drive as after contacting the seller (who is generally very helpful) I learned that each camera requires around 250MB of memory per hour on decent resolution settings. When running 4 cameras that equates to 1GB per hour = 24GB per day to run those 4 cameras. As you can see, even a decent sized SD card will be swamped in no time at all. I should also point out that any hard drive must be one that features its own power source (i.e. a 3 pin plug) as the cctv monitor can't power it through the USB port. Suitable hard drives can be purchased from Amazon from around £50 upwards.

I should however point out a number of flaws with this cctv system.

1) The cameras apparently work best if located outside. The Infra-red night vision does not work when positioned behind a glass window so placing them inside the house has immediate disadvantages if you are looking for a night time security. What is not clear when purchasing though, is that the cameras are NOT weather proof. The instructions clearly state that they should be protected from the elements and not subjected to rain. They are essentially water resistant, not weather proof, which is two entirely different things. What use is an outside camera that's not weather proof? Apparently you are expected to fit the cameras under a canopy to keep the worst of the weather off. If you can manage to do that, great.

2) You are not able to zoom in on any recorded pictures. Yes you can play the images back through a big tv rather than the supplied 7" monitor however as anybody will realise, pixel quality drops markedly when you blow digital images up (even on a relatively modest sized 24" tv) hence you are probably just as well sticking to the 7" monitor.

3) This is perhaps my biggest gripe. User friendliness seems to have been lost on the people who designed the software used by the system. I have mine set up to continuously record images for all 4 cameras. That means my 2TB hard drive quickly gathers hundreds of continuous 5 minute clips from each camera and over the passage of time, the sheer volume of files tends to cause the system to get a little slower when gathering all the file information together when on play-back mode. I thought it would be a simple case of popping into the menu with a view to deleting the last 3 weeks of data please because I was confident I no longer needed it, but leaving the data from the most recent week or two. Err, no. I can't do that. Nor can I delete the data a day at a time. Oh no, this system requires you to access every 5 minute chapter for every individual camera and delete them one by one. You've got to be kidding! Who the hell thought that was an acceptable user interface? Yes I know I could just allow the memory to fill right up and that it would simply begin overwriting the earliest recordings once it was full, but that is not the point. I want efficiency and speed of use and this system does not deliver that in its current guise. My options? Re-format the hard drive altogether (and risk wishing I had kept at least the previous week's footage when it is brought to my attention that something suspicious happened during that time) or I could simply put up with the slow performance of the play back menus because of the sheer volume of data I have recorded. Guff either way.

All in all this cctv system is not bad, IF you mainly want day-time security or have suitable canopies under which to position your cameras outdoors (unless you are a DIY nut or have the time or the appetite to start building wooden nest boxes for all your cameras to live in). The cctv system does record activity during daylight well and when positioned outside the IR night vision works quite well. In general terms you can play back and watch people arrive at your house and peer in your windows or watch them trying your car door handles etc. But there are flaws which let the system down.

For the money it's probably as good as you'll get, but it is a LOT of money given the inherent flaws. If you want something that will be robust in any weather, save up your cash and invest in a more professional system.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2015 4:25 PM GMT

Pe'ahi
Pe'ahi
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely Disappointing, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Pe'ahi (Audio CD)
Some otherwise excellent, interesting and potentially atmospheric compilations are utterly ruined by a ridiculously generous helping of white noise throughout this album. It’s so bad I initially thought the download was corrupt but it soon became clear it was deliberately smeared over the entire album.

Other bands have used white noise to fantastic effect, Radiohead to name but one, and have done so in a way which adds real value to the track. It's a style I love when it's done properly. The Raveonettes however feel that a blanket of almost constant white noise over many of their tracks is a cool and ‘clever’ thing. Sadly it’s not. It’s not used artistically here and it certainly couldn’t be described as intelligent creativity. It’s just spoils every track it appears in, hence the album fails as a whole.

I bought this album after listening to samples of it on modest PC speakers and I thought the samples sounded okay. When played on quality larger machinery and quality headphones on your iPod however the white noise becomes extremely irritating and it ensures that this album sinks into the bog of eternal stench.

I have bought around 2-3 albums every month for about 25 years and this must be one of the most disappointing I’ve bought in all of that time, not because the tracks are dull, but because otherwise excellent tracks are ruined by stupidity disguised as art.

The Raveonettes need to rethink their use of sound.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2014 10:01 AM BST

Thief (PS4)
Thief (PS4)
Offered by games-n-console-land

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stealth Game, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Thief (PS4) (Video Game)
Thief is a breath of fresh air from all the usual and very samey titles that are available for the PS4 at the time of writing. You play the part of a master thief who loses his girlfriend (they do nothing but swap snide comments towards each other in the opening stages of the game but you can tell there's chemistry between them) and you find yourself waking up some time after an incident and begin your quest to find out what happened to her as well as trying to understand what happened to you. There is mystery on the air from the outset and all is not as it seems. Something wicked this way comes …..

You find yourself sneaking through dimly lit streets of old-world cities, sneaking into people's houses through insecure windows and stealing anything of value from rooms within. You will use the loot you acquire to purchase new skills or upgrades from shady dealers who hang around in the back streets. These upgrades can make you quieter when on the move, improve the strength of your weapon or add other benefits to your kit when preparing to take on a particularly difficult task.

I thought the graphics were really atmospheric, perhaps not cutting edge on the new platform but certainly detailed enough to create a believable world to sneak around in. Really good use of lighting made the environments come alive. Flickering flames in dark alleys cast dancing shadows on the walls and guards patrol around with flame torches which temporarily illuminate areas of the street as they pass. This is a dark and moody game and it creates the atmosphere extremely well. The detail in characters is also good and I found the voice acting to be excellent too. The soundtrack adds extra mood and atmosphere to the proceedings and does a good job of building tension in the right places.

This is not a shooter. This is also not a combat game. So I don't understand why people slate the game for not being strong in these areas. Do they not get that a stealth game is about taking your time, choosing your path carefully, sneaking through gaps and evading enemies? In my opinion the game is very strong as a stealth game and you will want to listen to sounds as well as watch what's going on to ensure you remain fully aware of everything that's going on around you.

When you do decide to take out enemies, you can do that with a skillfull head shot with your bow. Different arrows will do different things, such as an arrow with a water-filled cartridge attached to the end can be used to extinguish flame torches and fires from a distance, one with an explosive cartridge can be used to blow up a group of enemies with a hell of a bang or a simple iron arrow head can be used for a quiet head shot. So in that respect you can actually choose to kill enemies if you wish to do so, just because you're not doing it with an M16 machine gun doesn't mean it isn't fun or addictive. Be warned if you kill one in a loud fashion, others in the vicinity will be alerted and will come hunting for you so you need to plan.

Your other weapon is a simple baton type instrument which will be used to bat enemies about the head and body until they succumb and fall to their knees after which you can execute a special move to deliver the final blow to take them out. You can also take enemies out by sneaking up behind them and throttling them quietly before dumping their body in a dark spot. When enemies see you they will draw swords or crossbows and give you a run for your money. You can either dodge their attacks and retaliate or just find an escape route and flee until the enemies lose interest and go back to their business. The dodge mechanic is perfectly adequate if you have the skill but it's made so that its not easy - this is a stealth game after all and if you're discovered you've really failed in a way - but you can recover things quickly if you make the right choices and have basic skills with the controller.

The story itself takes a little keeping up with as it can appear disjointed but things start to make sense as you progress through the game. I did find the odd case of a character's conversation doubling over on top of another person's voice who was standing nearby which made it difficult to listen to one conversation, however that certainly didn't spoil things for me. This is an open world game in so far as exploring in cities and towns can allow. You are given objectives to follow and you can ether follow them religiously or just go off exploring and stealing and return to the objective when you are ready.

I bought this game despite some of the rubbish review it has attracted. I'm glad I bought it because for me it's one of the best stealth games around, if not 'the' best. You'll need to think about what you're doing, take your time and decide how you should best tackle a situation that lies ahead, and for me that's exactly what this game should offer. It's not COD and its not Dishonoured, but hey, it doesn't want to be. Thief stands its height on its own merits and is all the better for it. Highly recommended if stealth games are your thing or if you're looking for a welcome departure from all the shooters out there.

SAS Black Ops [DVD]
SAS Black Ops [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nigel Woodings

1.0 out of 5 stars A REVIEW YOU CAN TRUST, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: SAS Black Ops [DVD] (DVD)
Ok here is a review of SAS Black Ops you can really trust.

I’d like to think that I’m a fairly intelligent chap. I am also fairly creative and I am passionate about films.

I saved up a few quid and bought myself a camcorder.

I’ve always been inspired by David Attenborough’s work and I fancied having a go at making a film about the mysterious evolution of carnivorous plants. I decided to fulfil my dream but couldn’t afford a trip to the Amazon rainforest so I popped into my garden, set up a tripod and filmed some of my vegetables growing in the vegetable plot. To add interest I left the camera on the time-motion setting for 8 weeks which meant a still image was taken every 10 minutes over that time. The finished article is an amazing display of my veg sprouting from the soil, pushing their way into this life and into their full splendour whilst surviving the odd attack from a black slug, 36 aphids and heavy downpour of rain.

I packaged the resultant dvd in a glossy case with a picture of a rare tropical plant featured on the cover which is capable of trapping flies, killing birds and doing a back-flip out of danger if any larger creatures try to eat it.

I am now selling my dvd for £12 in supermarkets and £10 on Amazon and I’m pleased with myself. Some reviewers who think that anything done on the cheap is actually rather cool regardless of it being utter tat, have given me 5 stars for effort and daring to live my dream. People who have called it tat because it is tat are dismissed as being uncool.

Viewers can’t understand why the rare specimen on the front cover doesn’t feature in the film at all or why the sprouting leek which I refer to in the storyline is not actually a leek at all, because I filmed a row of carrots who didn’t really understand how to act like leeks. But the fact that I’ve kept you guessing throughout the full 90 minutes of film is cool and you should convince yourself that the film is actually worth bragging about to your mates because it is the next big cult movie.

I am now receiving royalties for the utter tat which bears no resemblance whatsoever to what you thought you were spending your hard earned cash on. Errrrrr sorry about that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 1:23 PM BST

Thief (Xbox 360)
Thief (Xbox 360)
Offered by Zartek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT STEALTH GAME, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Thief (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Thief is a breath of fresh air from all the usual and very samey titles that are available for the Xbox360 at the time of writing. You play the part of a master thief who loses his girlfriend (they do nothing but swap snide comments towards each other in the opening stages of the game but you can tell there's chemistry between them) and you find yourself waking up some time after an incident and begin your quest to find out what happened to her as well as trying to understand what happened to you. There is mystery on the air from the outset and all is not as it seems. Something wicked this way comes …..

I thought the graphics were really excellent. Really good use of lighting made the environments come alive. Flickering flames in dark alleys cast dancing shadows on the walls and guards patrol around with flame torches which temporarily illuminate areas of the street as they pass. This is a dark and moody game and it creates the atmosphere extremely well. The detail in characters is also good and I found the voice acting to be excellent too. The soundtrack adds extra mood and atmosphere to the proceedings and does a good job of building tension in the right places.

I bought this game despite some of the rubbish review it has attracted. I'm glad I bought it because for me it's one of the best stealth games available for the 360, if not 'the' best. You'll need to think about what you're doing, take your time and decide how you should best tackle a situation that lies ahead, and for me that's exactly what this game should offer. It's not COD and its not Dishonoured, but hey, it doesn't want to be. Thief stands its height on its own merits and is all the better for it. Highly recommended if stealth games are your thing or if you're looking for a welcome departure from all the shooters out there.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2014 12:59 PM BST

Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox 360)
Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars YET ANOTHER EA SERVER DISASTER, 10 Mar. 2014
This game should be a wonderful departure from the usual shooters currently on the market. The graphics are fun and the action sufficiently different to give you the occasional giggle as you play. I knew about the requirement to have Xbox live before I purchased the game but what I wasn't prepared for is the utterly disgraceful EA servers - yet again. Just like Battlefield 4 the servers used by this game throw you off every 4-5 minutes making any attempt at playing a game a complete waste of time.Should anyone claim that its my internet connection that's at fault, I have dozens of other games from a variety of software houses and NONE of them throw me off when playing live. This is an EA problem through and through. Save your money and buy anything that's not published by EA. For such a big company, EA's investment in its European servers must equate to the biggest slap in the face for gamers outside the US who have paid their hard earned cash for the game. I won't be giving EA a single penny in the future, regardless of what title they release.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2014 7:19 PM GMT

Call of Duty: World at War - Classics (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: World at War - Classics (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Intense War Game, 8 Feb. 2014
I am a huge fan of war games and have bought, played and completed several times most titles that have been released in the lifetime of the Xbox360. I have recently been playing COD Ghosts, Black Ops II etc and was getting a little tired of all the hum-drum remote drone strikes and taking control of remote controlled guns, dogs, sheep, geese or whatever other turd the developers want to throw in of late. I was thirsty for some WWII action and decided to pick up another copy of WAW after trading my first copy some time ago. I'm really glad I did.

The graphics still fair very well in current times and the sound is simply awesome, especially when your tv/speakers are turned up loud. The gameplay must rate as one of the most intense gaming experiences of modern times. The sheer volume of enemies, the way they run at you with bayonets ready and scream their deathly wishes at you is nothing short of fantastic. This is a proper war game where the action never lets up. The game feels very open and free compared to the on-rails style that seems to have plagued many modern releases and it grips you by the collar and pulls you in until you've defeated every last enemy soldier. Guns, grenades, tanks and an aeroplane section are all included, all of which are executed in style and leave the current COD titles kicking in the shadows. No silly remote controlled nonsense, just you, your gun and your enemy. BANZI!

A game worthy of any collection. This is at the top of its genre. Get it now, you will not be disappointed.

Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars GHOSTS IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, 20 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am a fan of both COD and Battlefield games and have purchased both Ghosts and BF4. I am not biased towards one or the other in terms of gameplay as I love the faster paced style of COD, whilst equally enjoying the more strategic full scale war that is Battlefield.

For me, COD has definitely taken a step in the right direction with its bigger maps. There is just enough room to move around without getting shot in the back every 2 seconds as soon as you spawn and you can easily choose tactics which suit your own style of play. To prove the point you only need to look at multiplayer scoring tables at the end of matches. Those who wish to run and gun are still bagging 25+ kills per match whilst slower paced players are able to return decent enough scores too. I have read some reviews which say you can run around for minutes at a time on a map and not see another player. Really? I'm not sure what direction those people tend to run in but after 379 matches so far I have yet to experience a game which is anything other than tense, action filled and exciting.

Graphically the game is superbly crisp and everything flows very smoothly. The upgrades to weapons are easy enough to master and you can experiment with different load-outs until you find a system that best suits your style of play.

The campaign is a huge improvement over the farce that was Black-Ops. We seem to have returned to a quality FPS with decent levels rather than being fed a foul-mouthed smokescreen for poor gameplay that was Black Ops. There is good variety in the Ghosts campaign levels and it lasts far longer than Black-Ops releases too.

The only negative thing I ave found with Ghosts multiplayer matches lies in the Domination mode (capture the flag). The capture areas around the foot of the flag are incredibly small and require you to literally sit on top of the flag to trigger the count down timer to win the flag. This would be okay if the developers didn't plant the flags out in the open so you get shot immediately by anyone passing within 100 yards. You might win a few by chance but there's no skill in it - merely luck unless of course you're hooked up to several other players communicating with microphones to cover all the angles. Otherwise it's useless. This is one area where the COD development team should take a real hard look at Battlefield's process for winning flags which is much more effective.

There is another huge area where COD Ghosts wins hands down over Battlefield and it's actually the main reason I wanted to write this review as it is so important. Game reliability. Quite simply, Ghosts works. The game appears well coded and never breaks. Online gaming is strong and the servers are very reliable. This might not sound so significant until you try the experience that is Battlefield 4. For those comparing the two games and wondering which to spend your money on - buy COD Ghosts every time - because at least you'll get a good quality FPS shooter that actually works. Even after 3 months following release, Battlefield 4 remains one of the most problematic games I have ever had the misfortune of playing in over 25 years of gaming and players across every platform (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox360, Xbox One) are all saying the same. Servers kick you off every other game and you can go for hours without completing a single multiplayer match due to server issues (which means you lose all of your points and upgrades). Your Battlefield saved single player game also corrupts when you go online which means you repeatedly need to start your campaign all over again right from the start. Battlefield 4 is an absolutely disgraceful product - and that's coming from someone who previously loved Battlefield games. COD Ghosts on the other hand has none of those issues - it works, plays well and does what it says on the tin. Buy Ghosts!!

For its bigger maps, slick gameplay and near-faultless reliability , Ghosts gets 5 stars.

DARK (Xbox 360)
DARK (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars As A Stealth Game - It's Pretty Good, 3 Dec. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DARK (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Okay, here's my view. I love music, all kinds of music. From the occasional bit of jazz and blues to electric pop to the heaviest of thrash metal, there's a place in my library for it all. Some people have just one taste in music, say rap, and if the tune you're listening to isn't rap, then that person is going to say your music is crap. The same is true of games.

I was dissuaded from buying Dark for ages due to the overwhelmingly bad reviews it attracted. Boring graphics, stuttering controls and a broken game play they announced.

I would offer gamers a slightly different view.

Dark appealed to me because of it promised stealth. I love sneaking around in games as a welcome tonic from all the AAA all-action shooters I usually play. Dark does not disappoint in that respect. You watch, wait, plan and execute. If something unexpected happens, you quickly try to hide, readjust, watch, plan and execute again. If you are good enough you'll succeed. If you just wade in and try to bluff your way through the game, you are going to die.....a lot.

The game's pencil-shaded graphics are lovely (in my opinion) and I thought the music in the various sound tracks really added to the suspense.

The difficulty level can be pretty tough, but you will get used to how things work and you need to use your brain a bit. The enemies patrol around using mostly set routines, but this allows you to formulate a plan of attack. Who needs to die first, what will happen if I bump that one off, who will see or hear me do it, do I need and instant kill or can I spend 4-7 seconds sucking all their blood out to give me more power? If you are seen an alarm will be activated and you'll need to either find a place to hide or fight depending on how many enemies arrive as back-up. Sometimes the enemies will sniff you out, sometimes they wont depending on how well you're hidden.

Personally I think the reviewers who slate the enemy AI should consider that Batman Arkham Asylum works in a very similar way. The henchmen in Batman were non too bright either when it came to spotting where you were hiding, yet Dark gets torn to bits for the same idea which is executed in pretty much the same idea (and no I'm not trying to suggest Dark is comparable to Batman re combat, puzzles etc.)

As Dark progresses you realise that the mechanics can be rather repetitive as it's always about spotting enemies, watching, moving, waiting and executing in different locations but you can buy extra powers and upgrades to mix things up sufficiently to keep things interesting. You can learn to kill from a distance using shadows, create a distraction so you can sneak past or increase your teleport powers to move through the level or get closer to enemies quickly etc. Apart from a couple of isolated and rare bottlenecks in maps there is not, as some reviewers claim, only one way to complete a mission. You can adopt your own plan and as long as you remain alert to what's going on around you, missions can be completed using your own style of play in any number of ways. Do you want to take out all the enemies, only kill some of them, or sneak past them all? The choice is yours.

There are a couple of weaker moments such as the dispatching of bosses which is a little underplayed in the execution and cut-scenes but that didn't spoil things for me overall. Without adding spoilers, the ending is interesting from a story-telling point of view but it seemed to be a bit of an anti-climax to me and I was a little disappointed.

The game didn't break (unlike some AAA releases - take note EA-Dice re BF4) and overall I think its a good solid stealth game which requires thought and intelligence to play. If you don't like cat and mouse games, don't buy it. If you do, give it a go. Now that it's £15 it's a good buy. It certainly doesn't deserve all the 1 star reviews but I guess it depends on what you are expecting from a stealth game. But hey, that's just my open minded view.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4