Profile for Mrs. C. Colbert > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. Colbert

Mrs. C. Colbert (Blackburn, Lancashire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dyed and Gone (Azalea March Mystery Series)
Dyed and Gone (Azalea March Mystery Series)
Price: 8.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Fun Read, 16 April 2014
Dyed and Gone is such a fabulously witty and fun read. Set in the crazy world of Las Vegas at the hair-styling equivalent of the Oscars, our protagonists, Azalea March, her Hair Salon business partner and best friend, Vivian, together with their stylist Juan Carlos are just there to have a good time.......but in cozy mystery land, of course, things never turn out as planned!

The basic premise is that Vivian confesses to killing her friend Dhane, Azalea know she's innocent and determines to prove otherwise whilst finding the real killer. Simple!

"And Vivian is covering up for someone. Someone worth protecting enough that she's willing to become Big Bertha's prison bitch."

Azalea and Juan Carlos' hilarious one-liners had me giggling, the plot was clever but not too complicated to follow, several suspects, red herrings and a romance all made for a fun and entertaining read.

I'm looking forward to following Azalea in her next adventure!

Precious Thing
Precious Thing
by Colette Mcbeth
Price: 6.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and Gripping Story, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Precious Thing (Paperback)
Precious Thing is spoken by Rachel, a News Reporter in London who is sent to cover a missing persons story in Brighton. It is at the news briefing that she is shocked to discover that the missing woman is her best friend Clara.

Rachel narrates her story in a series of flashbacks from their first meeting, it goes back and forth from the present to the past. Right from the beginning of the book we are told that the story is a letter to Clara, I thought the style of which gave an eerie feel to the book.

Rachel tries to find Clara whilst also trying to unravel the secrets of their friendship, a friendship that she felt sure was meant to be, 'we were two missing pieces of a puzzle', they knew what each other was thinking. She interviews a lady whose husband had secrets of his own and these were her words:

'It's the little things that give people away, that's how they can hide for so long because those things are so little we often miss them. But if you look carefully enough you'll find them.'

Colette McBeth delivers just the right amount of suspense, gradually layering the stories as Rachel confronts her past with the present situation. Excellent storytelling, shocks and twists, overall a gripping and intriguing storyline.

This is the perfect Book Club read as there are so many issues to explore, so many situations that I wanted to discuss with someone else, to see if they understand what this or that meant and if they thought about certain people the same way that I did.

This novel has been compared to 'Gone Girl' which I haven't read but I do know that I would love to read more of Colette McBeth's novels in the future.

Test of Resolve
Test of Resolve
by Peter Murphy
Price: 5.58

4.0 out of 5 stars It Kept My Interest Throughout, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Test of Resolve (Paperback)
Test of Resolve is the second novel by Peter Murphy that I have read recently. Higher Duty, A, his novel about scheming lawyers which I enjoyed, was totally different to this political thriller, but which I relished just as much.

Full of intriguing characters (and there were plenty of them!) including Bev, a student who, upon discovering that his family have made him a sleeper for a Kashmir Freedom Group reacts thus:

"Well, how many wars have there been over Kashmir just in your lifetimes, dad, mom? It's one of those places where the fighting will never stop - like the Balkans, like Ireland. They can have as many ceasefires as they like, declare peace as many times as they like, and nothing changes, they still kill each other. Do you want to sacrifice me for that? Do you want me to sacrifice my children? We don't eve live there, for God's sake, and we never will. When will it ever end? Where does it stop? How is this a part of me?"

I was hooked, I was invested in the characters, I wanted to see how the situation would be resolved.

I was impressed in the number of positions of power that women held, including the United States President, the Director of the F.B.I., plus several Secret Service Agents. All good strong women.

The only downside was the cast of characters, there were so many of them, it was difficult to keep track of them all. Also, some of the dialogue was a little stilted sometimes.

Nonetheless, the pace was unrelenting, the writing sharp and it kept me wanting to keep reading.

Turning the Stones
Turning the Stones
by Debra Daley
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and Compelling Story, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Turning the Stones (Hardcover)
Turning the Stones is set in Georgian England in the mid-18th century.

The story opens with Em waking up in an unfamiliar bedchamber covered in blood with no knowledge of how she got there, where she is or who the murdered man in the room is. As she is the only suspect, she decides to try and escape to France and thus her adventures begin!

Spoken by Em who is pretending she is telling her story to her unknown mother, a mother who she believes abandoned her when she was a baby, her tale tells of treachery and lies, romance, smugglers, with a touch of Irish story-telling.

Debra Daley's novel is told in the writing of the 18th century which I thought worked really well. This paragraph tells of how Mrs Waterland found her:-

"She had come across me, the story goes, among a swarm of rickety foundlings in a London hospital, while making her charitable rounds. My inability to recover that day from my memory has always been a source of great frustration to me. I can only imagine the elation I must have felt when her limpid eye fell on my cot and she plucked me from the fate to which I had been originally assigned."

I was drawn into the atmosphere of the story-telling, it was evocative and compelling as Em gradually begins to remember how she came to be in the bedchamber. It was lovely to see Em's character developing through the book from a quiet and reserved lady's companion to a more confident young lady.

Vivid characters, windswept landscapes and a few twists all combined to make Turning the Stones a brooding and unforgettable novel which I absolutely loved.

Simply Beautiful Age Defy Serum Anti-Wrinkle Face & Neck Cream -Regeneration Anti Aging Cream 30ml (1.01fl.oz)
Offered by Second Glance Beauty
Price: 37.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Age Defy Serum, 30 Mar 2014
I've been using this Serum every morning for a few weeks now but I can't say that I have noticed any significant change to my skin, though it is a little more clearer than normal.

The Serum looks similar to a gel but is not sticky at all. It spreads very easily onto my skin and sinks in very quickly too, without leaving any sticky residue. I can then use my moisturiser straight away.

You only need a very small amount which makes is very cost-effective.

If you're looking for a decent Age Defy Serum then I would recommend it, but maybe I need more time to see if it makes any difference to my wrinkles!

Wake
Wake
by Anna Hope
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant, Thought-Provoking and Beautifully Written Debut Novel, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wake (Hardcover)
The backdrop to Anna Hope's impressive debut novel Wake is the journey home to Britain, over five days in November 1920, of an anonymous soldier killed in WWI with all the ceremony and dignity of a nation still recovering from the terrible conflict.

Interspersed with this are the lives of three women: Hettie, Ada and Evelyn. They all lead very different lives but have all shared loss, hardship and suffering.

Over these five days we share in their memories of their loved ones, and how they are slowly changing as new people come into their lives and remind them that there can be hope for a better future, there can be happiness if you allow yourself to let go.

I thought it was very clever how Anna Hope connected all the women to each other without them realising it.

I found the story to be very moving in parts, very poignant, thought-provoking, beautifully written and with characters to empathise with.

Smart Weigh GO110 On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel, Hanging Scale
Smart Weigh GO110 On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel, Hanging Scale
Offered by Five Star
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good 2 Go, 28 Mar 2014
This is one of those handy gadgets that you will need from time to time.
If you are a traveller then this will be so handy for you. You can weigh your suitcase before you get to the check in desk where you normally feel those palpitations about whether you are over your baggage allowances ( Been there ?????!!! )
If you are an eBay seller then this will be useful for you to weigh your parcels before you get to the post office. You may then want to increase your p&p rather than just guess!
It's a sturdy and well made product.

Hoover UnPlugged UNP300R Turbo Stick Vacuum Cleaner, 30 Volt
Hoover UnPlugged UNP300R Turbo Stick Vacuum Cleaner, 30 Volt
Price: 177.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoover Up, 28 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, the Hoover Unplugged.
Nice name. Nice Hoover. Nice style.
This is ready to use out of the box. There is some charge in, so you can easily vacuum around the house.
I charged for about seven hours first off to fully charge the Hoover. There is an led light on the front which lets you see just how much charge is in the Hoover. Great idea this.
This Hoover is powerful. Very powerful when the turbo boost is applied.
The "collection bag" fills in no time at all. This Hoover could use a bigger vessel.
Nice touch is the carpet or hard floor use. Just a mere slide of a button is all that is required.
For me the real downside is the weight of the Hoover when in use.
This is not a lightweight Hoover. I felt like I was dragging around a lead weight.
Also there are no attachments with this. How would you hoover the stairs?!!!!!

Edit: I've been using this regularly for several weeks now and I love it. It seems to get lighter every time I use it and is so easy to manoeuvre.

Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor
Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor
Price: 74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Food Processor, 23 Mar 2014
This is a good food processor, as you would expect from a leading brand manufacturer.
So far it has delivered on everything I have used it for.
It has all the attachments for mixing, chopping, grating etc.
I like it.
Recommended

Factory New MAGIC BULLET DELUXE 21 PC SET BLENDER CHOPPER GRINDER Multi Purpose Blender Mixer Shaker As Seen On Tv
Offered by Superbuys Online
Price: 69.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, 23 Mar 2014
Watch out if you buy this.
Before plugging in, get a fire extinguisher ready and stand back.
Dont waste your money.