Profile for Mrs. C. Colbert > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. Colbert

Mrs. C. Colbert (Blackburn, Lancashire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips GC2048/80 Easyspeed Steam Iron with 120g Steam Boost and Ceramic Soleplate, 270 ml, 2300 Watt, Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Any old Iron, 6 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good little iron from a good brand.
Slick and so easy to use.
It is so light, has a really good ceramic plate with a 2300w output.It glides over the shirts I constantly have to iron, making my life easier.
It starts from cold to ready to go in under 2 mins.
It delivers good steam if needed and I can iron the shirts on hangars.
It comes with a 2 metre lenghth of flex, which should be enough for most people.
All the usual settings are there and easily accessible.

All in all a very good lightweight iron.

Brilliant.

Herring Girl
Herring Girl
by Debbie Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written with Colourful Characters, Past and Present, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Herring Girl (Hardcover)
If your Reading Group is looking for a read that will divide opinions and get people talking, then this is one I would recommend.

Ben is a troubled boy, he feels like his body's a coat that belongs to someone else. He has been buying girl's clothes for weeks in readiness for his first outing, hiding them from his Da, a no-nonsense deep sea fisherman who thinks that he's got over all that 'Annie business'.

Mary, a psychotherapist who believes in the soul and that souls could be reincarnated in groups through the years, thinks she can help Ben.

During the hypnosis session, Ben becomes sixteen year old herring girl Annie living in North Shields in 1898 describing her life, her friends, her family and her secret young man, Sam, in startling detail. But when Ben wakes up from his trances at dramatic moments in Annie's life, it starts to become clear that young Annie was murdered. But by whom?

I loved these glimpses into Annie's life, I could almost smell the 'sea smells and fish stink and lum smoke, and bread from the bakery and frying bacon bits and herring' .... it was so realistic (or as realistic as I imagined it would be then!)

Mary wants to prove the theory that certain communities of souls may seek one another out repeatedly, over and over, at different times and she persuades several people, friends, an ex-boyfriend who wants to make a BBC documentary about her work, even Ben's father to undergo regression, with amazing results. I did find this very coincidental and how lucky was Mary that so many people would agree to be hypnotised?!

This is not just a story of past lives, it is also a story of a long forgotten era when 'Scots lasses' would travel down the east coast following the herring fleet, and what a harsh and hard job it was, 'gipping' the herring in all weathers on the quayside. Debbie Taylor's meticulous research brings all this, and more, to life.

An enthralling read, full of colourful characters, both in the present and the past. I'm still thinking about some of those characters now, and I'll think they'll stay with me for a long time yet.

Roberts Radio Play DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built In Battery Charger - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Radio, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Roberts Radio is true to the adage that good things come in small packages.

Roberts is a brand that I am familiar with and trust.

This is a truly wonderful DAB/FM radio. The build quality is good. The setting up of the stations is good. But most importantly the sound quality is superb.

I like the rubber surround on the radio. This will protect it from most knocks and for sure gives the radio a robust feel to it.

One slight down side is that you can only program in 10 preset stations. Enough for most folks I guess, but we have a family of 4 who are using this radio and 10 presets is not enough!!!!!!

Recommended

Dynamic Fat Burner 800 mg Coffee Bean Extract with GCA Natural Weight Loss Supplement - Pack of 60 Capsules

3.0 out of 5 stars No significant weight loss for me, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am afraid that I can't report any significant weight loss while taking these pills. You have to take the (rather large) pill 20 minutes before food twice a day. They are tasteless.
I did not experience any side effects while taking them.

Coffee at Little Angels
Coffee at Little Angels

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and Moving, 26 July 2014
Coffee at Little Angels has been on my eReader for several years now, I'm not really sure why I kept passing it over to read other books, I think I thought it would be a little morbid and I was never really in the mood for it.

But I'm pleased to say that, now having finished it, my negative thoughts are now all very positive.

From the first shocking sentence till the end I was engrossed in following how each character deals with their friend's sudden death. All best friends at High School, they hadn't all been together since they left and most of them did not want to meet up again after almost ten years apart, and we gradually learn why.

Past love affairs, disagreements, dislikes are brought to the surface again by the twisted triangle of angst-riddled friends.

The writing was skilful and clever, sad in parts, funny in others, poignant and moving. The characters were brought to life and were very distinct from each other in their voices, I felt as if I really got to know them.

An impressive debut from Nadine Rose Larter.

A Sixpenny Song
A Sixpenny Song
by Jennifer Johnston

3.0 out of 5 stars An Okay Read, 22 July 2014
This review is from: A Sixpenny Song (Paperback)
When Annie comes back home to Dublin she is met by Miriam, 'Mrs Number Two Wife', as Annie called her father's widow, who, soon afterwards, takes all the furniture from the house Annie has inherited.

Annie is not sorry he's dead.

"She hadn't really liked him very much, Dada (he preferred it if she called him father: to him Dada was an untidy name for a man of his standing).He liked things to go his way; his word was law, and always what he thought was the best for you.'I only want what is best for you.'How many times had she heard those unanswerable words? And now he was dead. She wondered if he had ordered his death as he had ordered everything else in his life."

Annie plans to sell her father's house and open a bookshop in the small village but as she talks to Kevin, the odd job man, and his elderly aunt she discovers secrets but are they all lies or are they telling her the truth?

A moving family drama, with very few characters and an interesting storyline. Overall I enjoyed it but I thought the story was too short, I felt there was more that the author could have told us and I felt as if I didn't really know the characters very well.

McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars McAfee Protection., 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used this brand previously without any problems.This one is great as it can be used on 3 devices,which is good for a family.
Load up and set is simple.So far it is working really well without any slow down which is very important.
The price at the moment is good.At £30 for 3 users it is a no brainer.

Recommended.

Tacwise 181ELS Electric Nail Gun
Tacwise 181ELS Electric Nail Gun

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Nail Gun, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a top quality brand nail gun in my opinion.Superbly made, just the job as an addition to my tool set.This is so easy to set up and use.I have cracked on with some panel fencing and really made some progress, using this tool.Everything about this nail gun is robust.The functionality is good and more importantly the actual job itself is bang on.

One slight problem I experienced is that it is not cordless.I did need a long extension for my paneling job.This is something that Tacwise should look at.

All in all though a very professional piece of kit that I think will get a lot of use out of.

Recommended.

The Night Before (Hubbard's Point/Black Hall Series)
The Night Before (Hubbard's Point/Black Hall Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Short Story, 19 July 2014
Lydia's family have owned the Christmas Tree farm for generations and, on the night of the storm, she reminisces about the first time she met the bride-to-be's mother, Sara, in Mexico.

Sara's family picked lemons for a living in an orchard and Lydia was there as an artist. Sara was pregnant with her daughter. As their friendship blossomed, they realised that they had far more in common than they realised.

I was captivated by this beautifully written sweet short story full of love, friendships, natural disaster, family and loyalty.

The Garden Plot (Potting Shed Mystery)
The Garden Plot (Potting Shed Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Texan Ex-Pat Digs Up Murder and Mystery, 13 July 2014
Brought up on stories of England and its gardens by her English mother, Pru always felt that she belonged there and when her mother died she decided to up sticks and plant herself in England.

But a small job sorting out the unruly garden of the Wilsons digs up more than just roots! Pru's inquisitive and trusting nature leads her into danger as she tries to solve the murder of Mr Wilson's friend, an amateur archaeologist, despite the best efforts of the good-looking Detective Christopher Pearse to dissuade her.

Marty Wingate's obvious love of gardening shines through in this mystery. The plot was just at the right pace with believable characters and I found it easy to immerse myself in Pru's world.

With a storyline sure to delight gardening enthusiasts, you don't need to know your Hyacinths from your Hollyhocks to enjoy this cozy mystery. I certainly did!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20