Profile for Mrs. C. Colbert > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. Colbert

Mrs. C. Colbert (Blackburn, Lancashire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase
Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase
by Louise Walters

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Secrets Set in Two Different Eras, little slow in parts but intriguing story, 5 Oct 2014
Roberta is 34 years old, lives alone and loves working in the Old and New Bookshop, she finds things in books such as postcards, locks of hair, letters, receipts etc. and she keeps most of them, she finds it hard to dispose of these memories. She also loves old suitcases and is thrilled when her father gives her her grandmother's old suitcase. When she discovers in it an old letter dated February 1941 she is intrigued

This is a dual narrative story going back and forth from the present to the Second World War where we meet Roberta's grandmother Dorothy, living in a little cottage on a farm, husband away at war, she's a mystery to the other villagers due to her not socialising but she doesn't care. She had two land girls helping with the farm and she manages to eke out a living by sewing and taking in laundry.

But her life changes dramatically when she meets a Polish airman, they become close, and when another dramatic event happens on the farm she has to make life-changing decisions which affect everyone's lives.

I really enjoyed going back and forth in time with the two women, especially Dorothy who had such a sad life and desperately wanted a baby. She couldn't believe her luck when Jan walked into her life and gave her some happiness.

Roberta too was lonely, she was 'useless at wobbly moments' and thinks she's a 7 out of 10 on a very good day. Her boss, Philip, was good company, funny and witty and Roberta enjoys his company. His girlfriend also works at the shop and, according to Roberta, she's a 9 and a half out of 10......so no chance of a romance ...... or is there?

This was a good story, well-told, with interesting characters, but it wasn't a page-turner for me, sometimes I struggled to pick it up again, though it was an intriguing story, one of regret, lost chances, love, sadness and about the decisions we make that we think are for the best.

I think this book is a very encouraging start for debut novelist Louise Walters. I look forward to seeing what she next publishes.

Morphy Richards 720501 Multi-Floors Steam Mop with Microfibre Pads, 1400 Watt - White/ Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Mop, 3 Oct 2014
I bought this as I have had new flooring put down.

It is great.

No fuss . Easy to use. And most importantly is does a great job.

The pads are velcro, so when you attach them they stay attached.

This is a really good buy.

Recommended

Philips Outdoor Solar Candle (1 x 2 W Integrated LED)
Philips Outdoor Solar Candle (1 x 2 W Integrated LED)
Offered by Cool Blue Interiors Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, 1 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am very disappointed with this Solar candle.

It just does not work.

On close inspection of the batteries and after trying everything,one of the batteries appears slightly corroded!!!!
I can only imagine this is the problem. I will pursue this with brand new batteries and will update.

If this is the case I find this very bad practise in supplying a product with dud batteries.

Again, I was very disappointed.

AmazonBasics 12-Volt Black Heated Seat Cushion with 3-way Temperature Controller

4.0 out of 5 stars A Warm Bottom, 29 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This heated seat cushion/cover will be great during a COLD winter.
Easy to fit and easy to use. Fits well onto the seat in my Picasso.
Works via the cigar lighter in the car.

One problem is it does get hot!!!!! My bum was roasting at one point. There is a control, but so far I haven't yet mastered it.
It is either too cold or too hot.

This is good value for money. In winter it will be superb, I believe.

Nikon D3300 for Dummies
Nikon D3300 for Dummies
by Julie Adair King

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for Dummies, 28 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is rather disparaging saying "for Dummies ". This should read " to help you with your shots"

The book is very good in the way it sets out all the different hints and tricks to enable you to get the best shots.

The end result is everything. This book will help everyone, from the professional to the amateur gain the best results.

It is easy to read and understand, using good english, with some pictures to help.

This book is fantastic for users of the Nikon D3300. I believe it will help users of other brands of cameras in a similar price range.

I like this book.

Live at the Royal Albert Hall [2002] [DVD]
Live at the Royal Albert Hall [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andre Rieu
Offered by RareGroove

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics from the Royal Albert Hall, 26 Sep 2014
I have had this dvd some time now.
It is Andre Rieu at his subliminal best.All the great tunes are on this dvd. It certainly stands the test of time.
Here is a musician completely at one with his orchestra and his audience.

I thoroughly recommend this dvd for anyone remotely interested in classical music.
With this being a live recording,there is really good audience participation to.

Soehnle 63350 Pharo 200 BMI 8 Person Recognition Analyser Scale
Soehnle 63350 Pharo 200 BMI 8 Person Recognition Analyser Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Clear Scales, 24 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are good clear scales.

They are very well made and feel as though they will last for ages.

Before you use them you should read the instructions very carefully.
These scales will not only weigh you in either pounds, stones and pounds and kilos. You decide. They will also calculate your BMI when set to you personally. How clever is that!!!
The small screen is very clear to read.
The scales take 3 AAA batteries which are supplied, so you are ready to go out of the box ( but please read the instructions )
I really like them, even if they give me palpations when I use them!!!!

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of Suspense, but too much unnecessary detail in the Journal, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
47 year old Christine wakes up every morning believing that she is still a young woman ....... a young woman who has no idea of where or who she is. Her husband has to explain patiently to her about her accident, something he has to do every morning before he goes to work.

A Dr. Nash rings her every day and tells her where her journal is and to read it and she'll discover who she is.

Gradually Christine starts to remember some events but they are terrifying events, and she begins to wonder just who she can trust......are her memories real or just imagined ..... is her husband telling her the truth.....and what about Dr. Nash, is he really a doctor? She feels helpless and doesn't know who to turn to, she begins to doubt her own sanity.

What a compelling and unsettling story this is, as Christine's memory plays tricks on her, you really don't know who is telling the truth, the plot is slowly dragged out with very few clues along the way, until the shocks are played out, and I did not guess what was coming until it hit me in the face!

Very cleverly written, though slow at times as Christine reads her journal every day, I did feel there were far too many unnecessary details in her writing and wondered how she found the time to write everything down every day. But, aside from that, I thought this was an excellent thriller with just enough twists and turns to keep me turning the pages.

LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra XDi Learning Tablet (Pink)
LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra XDi Learning Tablet (Pink)
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Children, 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a neat toy???? for children.
I will be giving this to my 3 year old niece next month, for her birthday,so I hope to be able to update this review.

I have opened the box and set up the pad. I have taken some pictures and have a little story for her when she opens it. The camera on both the front and back work just fine delivering a good picture.

One off putting thing is the american voice which is a little disconcerting to me. It will be interesting to see if it puts my niece off!!!!!

With this brand as with others, there are lots of add ons, which come at a price!! There are apps you can buy which might be a good thing but could also rack up some costs. Some of the apps are educational.Some are musical. Some are games. Some are audio books. A good choice, but a stiff price!!

It feels robust which is a good thing and is a good size for a child to play with.

I like this LeapPad and I think my niece will like it to.

Greenpan Venice 24 cm Ceramic Non-Stick Open Frypan, Grey Aluminium
Greenpan Venice 24 cm Ceramic Non-Stick Open Frypan, Grey Aluminium

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fry pan, 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pan feels and looks like a fry pan Ferrari.
It is so sturdy and looks amazing. Ok I know it is a fry pan but look at others on the market!!!!!.

It is a good size and quite deep. The handle is very firmly attached to the pan and my impression is, it will stay that way.
It can be used with all hobs, gas, electic and ceramic and the beauty with this pan is that you can use it in the oven as well.Cooking on the hob the handle does not get hot, a brilliant feature.

So far I have used it for sausages,eggs, pancakes and sliced potatoes, all with great success. No need to blast the hob up high. Gently, gently is the way with this pan.

After use, I have found a gentle clean with a damp cloth is sufficient, as nothing sticks to this pan.

Recommended.