Profile for Mrs. C. Colbert > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. Colbert

Mrs. C. Colbert (Blackburn, Lancashire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey
Tefal Actifry Plus - 1.2 Kg - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Actifry plus, 28 Aug 2014
This is a lovely deep fat fryer, both in appearance and in the cooking.
It looks and feels very sturdy and secure.
So far I have cooked chips and more chips.I have cooked veg and battered fish.
The fish is absolutely delicious.
The basket is really deep but I have found you don't need a lot if oil, which by my reasoning means the food is more healthy.

My son now wants to take it back with him to uni!!!!!

Great price, nice size and looks the business.

Recommended.

The Midnight Side
The Midnight Side

3.0 out of 5 stars Lucid Dreaming, Obsession and Revenge but not her best story....., 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Midnight Side (Kindle Edition)
The Midnight Side was Natasha Mostert's debut novel about a woman who receives phone calls from her dead cousin Alette.

The beginning part was certainly chilling and creepy as Isa travels to London and stays in her cousin's house. I could feel the sense of foreboding as she notices a man in the house opposite watching her.

Alette has left Isa three envelopes which tell the story of how controlling her husband was and how she wants Isa to get her revenge from the grave. But her husband seems friendly and charming when he takes Isa to dinner, how can he be this monster Alette has talked about?

Isa comes into contact with three men - the man who was watching her, Alette's husband Justin and the solicitor who hands her the three envelopes - they all seem nice but can she trust any of them?

Lucid dreaming, obsession, revenge and manipulation are the themes of this, at first, intriguing story, menacing in parts and slow in the middle part, also Isa had left a demanding business in South Africa before she flew to London but no mention was made of this work while she was away which I found odd.

Sometimes I really didn't know which way the story was going to go, there were unpredictable events but also some predictable moments which I was disappointed with, I don't like it when I can see what's coming - I like to be surprised more!

As this was Natasha Mostert's debut I can forgive her especially when I enjoyed her later book The Season of the Witch so much. It certainly hasn't put me off reading more of her books.

If you wanted to read her books in order you can start with this one to get a feel of her creepy writing, though they are all stand alone books.

Ultranatura Aluminium Table, Korfu Series - Basic
Ultranatura Aluminium Table, Korfu Series - Basic

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sexy table....but, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The table arrived in a flat pack cardboard box. My heart sank, thinking I was going to have to call on my husband and spend all night assembling it.
I need not have worried.

Within no time at all I had put the table together and was ready to place the glass top in position.
All the screws for assembling the table were in a little bag together with an alan key. You don't even need a screwdriver. It was effortless!!!

The table looks stunning.It has a glistening black glass top that looks so sexy.The reflection is gorgeous and just oozes class. I have never seen an outdoor table like it.

One small point I have is I am so worried about putting anything remotely heavy down onto the table. I put some cutlery down and a couple of things slipped onto the table.Normally I just throw things down without a second thought but I am really paranoid about breaking the glass top.

I know it is tempered safety glass but at the moment I am not too comfortable with this,however I hope this will pass.

The table does look great.

Animagic Rescue Hospital Ambulance Station
Animagic Rescue Hospital Ambulance Station

5.0 out of 5 stars Animagic, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely interaction toy for any small child.

I gave it to my niece who is nearly 4 and she loved it.She really liked playing with the ambulance.
With her small fingers she can get them into the toy through the doors that open and play with the stretcher in the animal treatment room.It can occupy her for ages.

I will probably buy another toy in this series for her birthday.

Recommended

Oral-B Pro 600 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Pro 600 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars A convert, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit, I was an electric toothbrush virgin before I tried the Braun Oral-B 600.

Now I am a convert.

This ticked all the boxes. A first rate brand that delivers a cross-action movement that cleans my teeth so well.It also lets me know when I have been cleaning an area and need to move on!!!

After an initial charge overnight I have found that using it 2/3 times per day it does need a constant top up, although this is not a problem to me.

At the price of £24.99p I believe it represents good value for money, but more importantly it delivers a real good clean on my teeth.

Recommended.

Glimpse
Glimpse
by Kendra Leighton

4.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Debut!, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Glimpse (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this ghost story based around the poem The Highwayman. I felt for Liz who had suffered bullies at her last school because they thought she was weird in seeing her 'glimpses'. These only started after her mother had been killed in a car accident.
The writing was atmospheric in parts, especially the descriptions of the glimpses.
It was slow to start but when Liz meets Zachary, the Highwayman, it picked up and I found it hard to put down.
Overall, a superb debut!

Murder Strikes a Pose (Downward Dog Mysteries)
Murder Strikes a Pose (Downward Dog Mysteries)
by Tracy Weber

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to delight cozy mystery fans, 12 Aug 2014
Murder Strikes a Pose is an entertaining and enjoyable cozy mystery, the first in a new series to feature yoga instructor Kate.

She rescues a huge German Shepherd dog called Bella when her owner, George, is found murdered near Kate's yoga studio. George, a homeless alcoholic, and Kate had become friends when George started selling newspapers outside her studio.

Unfortunately, poor Bella has health and behaviour issues but, undeterred, Kate looks after her while trying to find a new owner and also trying to find George's killer, not believing the police's verdict that he died in a drunken brawl.

Kate is a brilliant protagonist, she's nosey (perfect credentials for an amateur sleuth!), argumentative and stubborn.

With a good storyline that unravels leisurely, interesting characters and flowing writing, I think this is sure to delight cozy mystery fans.

Philips GC2048/80 Easyspeed Steam Iron with 120g Steam Boost and Ceramic Soleplate, 270 ml, 2300 Watt, Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Any old Iron, 6 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good little iron from a good brand.
Slick and so easy to use.
It is so light, has a really good ceramic plate with a 2300w output.It glides over the shirts I constantly have to iron, making my life easier.
It starts from cold to ready to go in under 2 mins.
It delivers good steam if needed and I can iron the shirts on hangars.
It comes with a 2 metre lenghth of flex, which should be enough for most people.
All the usual settings are there and easily accessible.

All in all a very good lightweight iron.

Brilliant.

Herring Girl
Herring Girl
by Debbie Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written with Colourful Characters, Past and Present, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Herring Girl (Hardcover)
If your Reading Group is looking for a read that will divide opinions and get people talking, then this is one I would recommend.

Ben is a troubled boy, he feels like his body's a coat that belongs to someone else. He has been buying girl's clothes for weeks in readiness for his first outing, hiding them from his Da, a no-nonsense deep sea fisherman who thinks that he's got over all that 'Annie business'.

Mary, a psychotherapist who believes in the soul and that souls could be reincarnated in groups through the years, thinks she can help Ben.

During the hypnosis session, Ben becomes sixteen year old herring girl Annie living in North Shields in 1898 describing her life, her friends, her family and her secret young man, Sam, in startling detail. But when Ben wakes up from his trances at dramatic moments in Annie's life, it starts to become clear that young Annie was murdered. But by whom?

I loved these glimpses into Annie's life, I could almost smell the 'sea smells and fish stink and lum smoke, and bread from the bakery and frying bacon bits and herring' .... it was so realistic (or as realistic as I imagined it would be then!)

Mary wants to prove the theory that certain communities of souls may seek one another out repeatedly, over and over, at different times and she persuades several people, friends, an ex-boyfriend who wants to make a BBC documentary about her work, even Ben's father to undergo regression, with amazing results. I did find this very coincidental and how lucky was Mary that so many people would agree to be hypnotised?!

This is not just a story of past lives, it is also a story of a long forgotten era when 'Scots lasses' would travel down the east coast following the herring fleet, and what a harsh and hard job it was, 'gipping' the herring in all weathers on the quayside. Debbie Taylor's meticulous research brings all this, and more, to life.

An enthralling read, full of colourful characters, both in the present and the past. I'm still thinking about some of those characters now, and I'll think they'll stay with me for a long time yet.

Roberts Radio Play DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built In Battery Charger - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Radio, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Roberts Radio is true to the adage that good things come in small packages.

Roberts is a brand that I am familiar with and trust.

This is a truly wonderful DAB/FM radio. The build quality is good. The setting up of the stations is good. But most importantly the sound quality is superb.

I like the rubber surround on the radio. This will protect it from most knocks and for sure gives the radio a robust feel to it.

One slight down side is that you can only program in 10 preset stations. Enough for most folks I guess, but we have a family of 4 who are using this radio and 10 presets is not enough!!!!!!

Recommended