Profile for Mrs. C. Colbert > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. Colbert

Mrs. C. Colbert (Blackburn, Lancashire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
The Poisoned Island
The Poisoned Island
by Lloyd Shepherd
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Slowly Unfolds Like The Leaves Of A Mysterious Tropical Island Plant, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Poisoned Island (Paperback)
At the start of the book we are introduced to some of the crew of the Solander who have recently returned from Tahiti. Their ship contained hundreds of exotic plants all destined for Kew Gardens. One of them is Sam Ransome who 'enjoyed the delights of the island', and who, upon reaching his lodgings, immediately puts the kettle on and makes himself a cup of tea and is 'blissfully happy'. Unfortunately for Sam he is found strangled soon after but with a huge smile on his face!

More of the crew are found murdered in a similar way and constable Charles Horton is struggling to find a motive, a killer or a possible connection to their deaths.

This is an intelligent and well written story with interesting characters. Lloyd Shepherd's earlier book The English Monster also features Horton and his boss, John Harriott, and several references are made to those murders in this book.

If you like your historical murder mysteries with atmosphere, well developed characters and an unusual plotline slowly unfolding like the leaves of some mysterious tropical island plant, then I would recommend you add this to your bookshelf.

Dettol Complete Clean Mould and Mildew 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Complete Clean Mould and Mildew 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Price: 10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good product, 9 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I almost always use Dettol for my cleaning needs.
This is a BIG bottle at 750 ml.
Simply spray on and wipe off.
It does what it says on the bottle, and it really does work. I used it on the stubborn grout mildew in the shower and it cleaned it a treat, just sprayed it then left it for 5 minutes and wiped it off, no need to scrub hard. I could see a difference almost straightaway. I used it again the next day on the same area and the grouting looked even whiter.
I will use regularly to prevent any mildew appearing.
I like this product, backed by a big brand name, and I will certainly buy this again.
Recommended.

Dettol Surface Cleanser with Lime and Mint 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Surface Cleanser with Lime and Mint 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Brand Cleaner, 9 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I almost always use Dettol for my cleaning needs.
This is a BIG bottle at 750 ml.
I like the fragrance, which is not to overpowering.
It does what it says on the bottle, cleans without any bleach chemicals.
I will buy this again ( not soon though as this is a BIG bottle !!!!!!!)

Meyer Select Advantage Non-Stick Cookware Saucepan Set, 5 Piece - Black
Meyer Select Advantage Non-Stick Cookware Saucepan Set, 5 Piece - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid set of Pans, 9 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good set of pans, from, I would say the medium price range.They are in my opinion very good value for money.
These pans, if treated well, will last for many years.
They are really good for left handed people, as they have a lip for poring/draining on either side of the pan.
The set comprises of three pans with glass lids.16cms, 18cms, and 20cms.
One milk pan, and a frying pan.
The pans have a lovely shiny finish, which visually says quality, and they have a good moulded grip.
A good all round pan for use in cooking any meal any day.
Buy them now at the amazon special price.

The Mysterious Misadventures of Clemency Wrigglesworth
The Mysterious Misadventures of Clemency Wrigglesworth
by Julia Lee
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A rather "Nice" Book, 9 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book delighted my 11 year old niece.
So different she said to have a punk heroine. ( Her words!!! )
She liked Pippi Longstocking and she enjoyed this book.
I skipped through it myself and so that it offered a good tale, and was ideal for a young girl to read.
Recommended.

Raymond Blanc by Anolon Professional Hard Anodised Cookware Set, Set of 5, Black
Price: 122.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Top Quality, 1 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is hard to get excited about a set of pans, but these are beautiful.
Visually they are lovely, but to use them is a dream.
The set caters for most things.I use them on a gas hob. Fantastic.
I have also used them in an electric oven. Fantastic.
Because of space restraints mine are stacked.
One piece of advice. If stacking the pans, place a piece of kitchen roll in each pan. That way you will save any scratches that may well happen.
I am thoroughly delighted with these pans and would recommend them to anyone.

Dinner with a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, Book 1)
Dinner with a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, Book 1)
by Abigail Gibbs
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Stay with it, 1 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book really hard going at first, and I was almost ready to ditch it. How wrong was I.
This book turned into a delicious read.I like the subject matter of vampires.
It was not too heavy with a light smattering of sexual prowesses.
My advice to anyone who has this book is to stay with it. The author will deliver.

Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
by Glen Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars werewolf are you?, 1 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good second novel in what is turning out to be a good series.
For those that like it ( and I an one !!!!!!!) there is loads of sex and bad things, all intermixed with some very humerus writing.
This book has it all.Vampires,and dark thoughts. werewolf's and very bad happenings.
To anyone into the dark scene, anyone who likes vampires etc, my advice is to get this book ( firstly book 1 )
I cant wait for the third book in this really entertaining series.

The Cheesemaker's House
The Cheesemaker's House
Price: 3.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking in Suspense, 23 Nov 2013
Spoken in the 1st person by Alice, she is trying to re-build her life again in a small Yorkshire village by renovating an old barn next to her cottage.

The story centres around the discovery in the barn and of Alice seeing people who aren't there, hearing sounds and finding herself in strange situations from the past. There's a touch of the supernatural and a possible romance in this novel.

It's an enjoyable enough story which I found a little slow to get going and it didn't really capture my attention throughout the whole book. The character of Owen was annoying, he was moody, secretive and often untalkative. When Alice is seeing and hearing sounds she doesn't seem to appear worried or scared which I found slightly strange. She mentioned it in passing but talked as if it wasn't a big deal.

Alice was the only character I warmed to, all the others seemed one-dimensional and I didn't like any of them. I think more could have been made of the barn and cottage history, I would have liked to have known more of that side of the story.

If you like your tales with a supernatural twist, a little romance and some genealogy thrown in then maybe you'd enjoy this.

Music Of The Night
Music Of The Night
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this CD, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Music Of The Night (Audio CD)
Beautiful, magical music from the maestro.This is a great performance yet again.
My collection is getting bigger, but the quality remains the same.
This is a fantastic price at amazon, and I would urge any wavers to go ahead and buy now.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30