Profile for CR Van Ooststroom > Reviews

Content by CR Van Ooststroom

CR Van Ooststroom (IJsselstein Netherlands)

The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970
The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every pound/euro, 12 Feb 2012
Back in the mid-seventies I asked my brother, who was 14 years older and grew up in the sixties, who James Brown was. The thng I still remember is that he told me that it was a soul artist who brought out a single every month. When I bought the Star Time box in the eighties I thought I had the best of James Brown in my posession. Not true! I already bought the extensive Motown singles box-sets from Hip-O Select (every soul afficionado, get your hands on those!) and I knew they brought the entire James Brown singles collection (the Polydor years) on the market, but thought I had the best of JB with the Star Time box set. No way, after reading some reviews and knowing they only pressed 5000 of each double CD I started buying them and it was no let-down. Every single volume of this extensive set has it's value. From the rhythm & blues beginnings through his long soul period and being the grandfather of funk listening to all those A and B-sides it's a joy. Even the sngles that weren't issued are of very high quality. Although his last years with Polydor aren't his best years, it's great to hear him playing the funk and soul not many artist can do better. So, if you're doubting to buy this 11 volume set, don't doubt: buy it!