Profile for Mr. B. Leslie > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. Leslie

Mr. B. Leslie

Page: 1 | 2
George Foreman 14525 Family Removable Plates Grill and Melt - 4-Portion - Brushed Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy cleaning, cooks well , BUT not hot enough!, 28 July 2014
This is an essential part of my cooking, though it could be better:

I use this a couple of times a week, because it cooks stuff. But it cooks stuff in a similar way to a microwave - does the job, but you get better results doing it properly!

1) Cooks things quickly, but not because of the high heat, more that there is a lot of energy because it is heating from top and bottom. For example cooking a steak doesn't singe it, just gently turns it brown.

2) The weight from above squishes things a bit. I love a fish finger sandwich, and this beats oven time. But again, its not crisping very well.

3) The fat running off is good, but creates a dynamic you have to cook around, eg pieces of chicken breast at the bottom get wetter than the ones above.

4) I LOVE that you can disconnect the griddle parts - to have a machine that does otherwise is now unthinkable

5)I've had this nearly 2 years and works the way it did when I got it.

On The Way Home
On The Way Home
by Jill Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lying is fun, 28 July 2014
This review is from: On The Way Home (Paperback)
Good story.

-Uses the concept of exaggeration/lying in a playful way

-Lots of things, aliens, wolves, crocodiles amongst other villainous foes

-What a little liar

Home Defence Ant Stop! Bait Station
Home Defence Ant Stop! Bait Station

5.0 out of 5 stars Ants came, they saw, I CONQUERED!, 28 July 2014
I had ants in my kitchen and both bedrooms.

I bought this. I put it down. Crazy ant activity ensued. Then no more.

The Big Alfie Out Of Doors Storybook (Red Fox Picture Books)
The Big Alfie Out Of Doors Storybook (Red Fox Picture Books)
by Shirley Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars which is good! -A few nice stories with a depth of ..., 28 July 2014
Charming little book.
Often times when I read children's books, my mind wanders, whilst I read on auto-pilot - the end effect being not a very engaging experience for child. I seem to be more switched on when reading this, which is good!

-A few nice stories with a depth of emotion, my bright 4 y/o girl enjoys, and some poetry in there too.

-Nice art work.

Princess Bedtime Stories (Disney Princess (Disney Press Unnumbered))
Princess Bedtime Stories (Disney Princess (Disney Press Unnumbered))
by Disney Enterprises Inc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of princess, 28 July 2014
I have been blessed with two daughters. With which you inherit the Disney princess franchise thing. I have learnt to accept this and even know the words to the frozen duets...

So - this, as far as compilation story books goes, delivers quality stories that are in keeping with the 'depth' of the characters, as does the illustrations.

My criticism, is more of the whole Disney princess concept. I feel they often dumb down females to their marital aspirations. This has cut straight into my 4 y/o's psyche who is now telling me how much she wants to get married, and asking me questions about are mummy and I married (we're not!!)

Overall:
-This book is princessy. Mini princesses will love it.
-There is decent variation and length of content/number of stories to keep you going
-Disney is indoctrinating our children into this princess/marry fantasy and I, personally do not like it

Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T-Shirt - Black Large
Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T-Shirt - Black Large
Offered by Leisurewear Online Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable value. Most else is beatable!, 28 July 2014
This tshirt is great, if like me you use tshirts as per their function.

Though it holds its shape, it loses its vibrancy quite quickly thus not looking brand new for very long, where as I have some tshirts I've bought relatively cheaply which are still bold/bright after years.

So - it's not a shortcut to being fashionable. It's a tshirt with incredible value

uTection BASIC Apple iPhone 4/ 4s PU-Leather Case "Wallet-Style" with card slots | Black
Offered by Tech-Surfer United Kingdom

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick, cheap, functional., 28 July 2014
Nice.

At this end of the market, the quality is good.

Here's the pros:

1) It looks slick and executive

2) Doesn't add too much bulk

3) I find the hold of the plastic phone frame thing very firm, I have full confidence in it.

4) The magnet works quite nicely

Here's the cons:

1) The material has scratched a little, maybe my fingernails or keys. Whatever, it won't look slick in 6 months, but will still work.

2) The 2 card slots didn't fit my business cards/credit cards easily. Rather I had to use the side pocket beneath them.

3) As mentioned by someone else I believe, there is a little bit of glare back from the flash which reduces the quality of night pics.

4) Why couldn';t the plastic holdy bit protrude a couple mm over the face of the phone? I've dropped it whilst it was open (which by the way is the most likely time to drop it!) happily, the phone was OK, but probably wouldn't have been if it fell flat on its face...

Ted Baker Mens Guri 7 Oxford
Ted Baker Mens Guri 7 Oxford
Price: £135.00 - £139.00

5.0 out of 5 stars All about this shoe, 28 July 2014
Here's my most important points about the purchase:

1) It is worth the full price ( I got some sort of amazon glitch price, but is worth the RRP. Which is important to note, as RRPs aren't always consistent with good quality shoes - which are as good as currency when they're how they should be!)

2)The shoe is somewhat of a hybrid - it is classy enough to just pass as a full on formal, though it works as a smart-cadge as well.

3) Works well with chinos, formal trousers, jeans.

4) I have received plenty of compliments and enquiries

Here is the low down on the detail of the product:

1) The build is good: The sole I believe is leather with a very grippy, bootesque rubber lining which I'm confident will last. The upper is a strong leather, but not the kind that you have to pitch your bones against to break in. The lining is lovely. The lace rings and clasp is close together and thus cannot get misaligned and sloppy looking.

2) The texture of the leather gives the shoe character separate to most, it makes a subtle statement. Though I haven't tried polishing, it wipes clean and the sheen/polish on it seems very permanent and low maintenance.

3) Due to a delivery error, I got to experience in the flesh both the brown and the tan. The exact colours of which can be tricky to pick up in online photos - if you look at other pictures on other sites such as the Ted Baker site, you get different tones. The brown is quite dark and perhaps more formal - this looks very smart. The tan, which I was after is quite dark around the toe, but has more colour variation; getting lighter toward the rest of the shoe. They both came with the purple lace aswell - which I didn't opt for as my use is more formal than funky, but keeping them for when the time is right ! I am curious about the black now.

4) The comfort is good, especially for a 'formal' shoe. I wear a size 10 normally, but I have gone down to a size 9 as 10 in the misdelivery was too big. I'd recommend trying in store if you can to make sure. If you're not a large 10/10.5 I'd suggest 9 as your best bet.

5) Breathability is good, though my feet have been sweating a little in the recent hot weather, I've got the feeling that these aren't the type that will lose their freshness readily, just a sixth toe sense...

Thanks for reading!

Modern Glass Ice Cube Touch Table Lamp with Chrome Base
Modern Glass Ice Cube Touch Table Lamp with Chrome Base
Offered by Design 55 online

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, functional, small but HOT, 28 July 2014
I've a couple of things to say on this item;

1) The size is quite small (granted, the dimensions are there in description - so take heed : this is more of a large flat-style candle holder to give these dimensions context)

2)The heat does make it prohibitive for those with small children. Foolishly, I thought I'd touch the bulb just seconds after it'd been on and put it this way I am now touch typing without my peter pointer. I bought it with the intention of replacing my previous beside (which again being foolish I broke in the dead of night). Trouble is the only spot I have for it is by my curtain which, being foolish, would undoubtedly burn me, tom thumb and all to a cinder.

Overall - nice looking - very functional. If you live in one of those showroom type houses, where no small children, close curtains or foolish people exist then this is the light for you. Shame it's not LED or some such.

Thanks for reading

Haden 10608 10-Cup Coffee Maker Make Everyone a Cuppa
Haden 10608 10-Cup Coffee Maker Make Everyone a Cuppa

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I've bought 2!, 6 Aug 2010
Fantastic. One for work, one for home

-Easy to work - fill and go
-Keeps coffee warm - drinkable temp all day, without ruining coffee
-resuable filter is useful, but i use paper filters which work slightly better, and are less hassle cleaning.

The value = unbelievable