Profile for M. Smith > Reviews

Content by M. Smith

M. Smith

Page: 1 | 2
Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
by Viv Albertine

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought the book for the nostalgia but ...., 1 Jun 2014
Having recently hit the big 50 I have become big on rekindling links to my lost youth. I bought this book for the nostalgia tales: The Slits (very underrated band); punk; and Ms Albertine's friendships with Sid and Johnny, Joe and Mick. This part of the book (Side One) was fascinating - I never know punk London was so small - virtually every punk anyone appears - along with some surprises, including: Neneh Cherry and Chrissie Hynde.

The revelation of the book is Ms Albertine's marvelous writing and Side Two of her volume (life after The Slits). This is the most engrossing part of the book - the struggle for her health and against the perils of life make for a great read. Even this cynical reviewer was both moved and inspired.

Grandissimo: The First Emperor of Las Vegas: How Jay Sarno Won a Casino Empire, Lost It, and Inspired Modern Las Vegas
by David G. Schwartz

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book about Las Vegas, 29 Jan 2014
David G. Schwartz is a great author - this biography of Jay Sarno is another great volume - a must-have for any collector of Las Vegas literature.

BECOMING BOBBY
BECOMING BOBBY
by Michael Konik

4.0 out of 5 stars Super read, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: BECOMING BOBBY (Paperback)
I have just finished reading, Becoming Bobby - the chapters set in "the desert" were brilliant - a super parody of Las Vegas (which I love). I don't know why but I found the book's penultimate paragraph extremely disturbing? I hope we are going to see more novels from Mr Konik, as well as more gambling writing, about which he is the very best.

The Man with the $100,000 Breasts: And Other Gambling Stories

Telling Lies and Getting Paid: More Gambling Stories (Gambling Theories Methods)

The Smart Money: How the World's Best Sports Bettors Beat the Bookies Out of Millions

SODIAL(TM) USB Cassette Deck Converter
SODIAL(TM) USB Cassette Deck Converter
Offered by A Brilliant Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy - recovered my history., 2 Jan 2013
This is a great item, great value, and simple to use.

I have been able to copy my old cassettes - recovering priceless recordings of my(now-27)daughter when she was 5 reciting nursery rhymes and me speaking at a 1988 Conference.

Recommended.

The Way You Wear Your Hat
The Way You Wear Your Hat
by Bill Zehme

5.0 out of 5 stars His Way., 29 July 2008
I have searched for this book for years and finally found it in the magnificent Strand bookstore whilst I was on holiday in New York. The wait was worth it - yes, it is Frank Sinatra through rose-tinted spectacles but I love Mr S so I didnt care. Zehme's writing is masterful, moving and a mine full of big Frank's one liners. The book made me want to be cool (and I most definitely am not) and to be in Vegas when Sinatra ruled supreme, even if only for one night. When I turned the final page I felt like I had lost a friend, for we all have.

Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binion's World Series of Poker
by James McManus

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex, drugs, gambling, there's even rock-and-roll!, 23 July 2008
Why does gambling and poker in particular produce such marvelous literature? In my opinion Positively Fifth Street is even better than Alvarez's, The biggest game in town - generally regarded as poker's best book. This is because McManus is right in the middle of the story. This really is an only-in-Vegas story: sex, drugs, gambling, there's even rock-and-roll thrown in; and its all true.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning: 1977, Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of a City
by Jonathan Mahler

4.0 out of 5 stars My kind of book about my kind of town, 12 Jun 2008
My kind of book about my kind of town. It sets sport, music & electoral politics in a social context. Mahler's evocative description of debt-ridden, dangerous and dysfunctional 1977 New York City evokes Hogarthian images of hell on earth. It is hard to believe that the Big Apple has come so far in such a short time. Maybe too lengthy, too detailed prose is devoted to the Mayoral election; however, the tales of the Yankees triumph against the odds in baseball's World Series are gripping page-turners - even for a Brit like me who knows nothing about the sport. A great read.

Beneath the Neon: Life & Death in the Tunnels of Las Vegas
Beneath the Neon: Life & Death in the Tunnels of Las Vegas
by Matthew O'Brien

4.0 out of 5 stars A book about Vegas's storm drains?!, 6 Jan 2008
A book about Vegas's storm drains?! This is a remarkable book - as deep and dark as the tunnels O'Brien spent a summer exploring. I am a regular visitor to Las Vegas and never imagined this world beneath my feet. O'Brien's book reveals hopelessness and dreams - misery and humour despite the conditions. I enjoyed the way O'Brien wove references to other tunnels (those of the Viet Cong, the Rome catacombs and Portland's Shanghai Tunnels). Like O'Brien I wondered how the poverty of the tunnels could exist beneath mega-wealth? As O'Brien explains: "In America, poverty always bows at the feet of corporate wealth.

Whale Hunt in the Desert: The Secret Las Vegas of Superhost Steve Cyr
Whale Hunt in the Desert: The Secret Las Vegas of Superhost Steve Cyr
by Deke Castleman

4.0 out of 5 stars Another must-have volume for the Las Vegas aficionado., 18 Sep 2007
This excellent book is far more than a biography of Las Vegas casino host, Steve Cyr. It is a magnificent expose of the weird & wonderful world of high-limit gambling - the stunts the casinos pull to attract punters (sex features highly) and the compulsive behaviour of many players. I thought I knew Vegas but this book revealed much I didn't know and places I didn't know existed.

The book depicts gambling warts and all. The author should be applauded for tackling the never-to-be-discussed in Vegas subject of compulsive gambling - very rare in a book about the city. This chapter dealing with this subject is especially revealing and shocking - the tales of degenerate bankrupt gamblers held my attention but made me feel like a voyeur of a terrible car crash.

The stories about legendary Aussie billionaire whale, Kerry Packer are superb. I was amazed to read that "Communist China" is now the biggest hunting ground for new whales.

I am always struck by the paradox, the darker sides of our existence: gambling, boxing and crime give rise to magnificent literature. This book is part of this tradition - another must-have volume for the Las Vegas aficionado.

Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
by Geoffrey Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling book - Not just for fight fans, 21 Jun 2007
Boxing certainly isn't short of great literature but this book still ranks as one of the best books about the sport. The book has been painstakingly researched, but the plethora of facts doesn't obscure the excellent easy-to-read writing. This book is not just for fight fans - it is also a compelling record of late 19th/early 20th century US social history and of the appalling racism of that period.

The trials, tribulations and hounding of Jack Johnson set the standard for those that followed. As I read the book I saw the stories Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, Muhammad Ali et al. Was Jack Johnson his own worst enemy? Like Muhammad Ali 50 years later his central "crime" was that he wasn't what white America wanted him to be. The book tells how when, during his persecution during the Vietnam War, Muhammad Ali saw a play about Jack he saw himself. Before I read this book I thought Muhammad Ali my greatest Heavyweight champ. Now I am not so sure.

Page: 1 | 2