Profile for K. Guard > Reviews

Content by K. Guard

K. Guard

The Left Hand of God: 1/3 (Sanctuary of Redeemers series)
The Left Hand of God: 1/3 (Sanctuary of Redeemers series)
by Paul Hoffman
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A good page turner, but not desperately original., 23 May 2011
I picked this up when I had some time to kill at an airport, and I finished it over the next couple of days. It skips along at a fair pace and the initial world setting is well drawn. I couldn't help with the nagging suspicion that I had read all of this before though, a child hero found in an unlikely setting; a seemingly untouchable love interest; themes of isolation from society... I could go on but it would give the plot away.

In saying that, I did enjoy it and I'll read the sequel when it comes out in paperback, but I almost felt a little guilty in that enjoyment, feeling, as it does, like the plot's been pieced together from a dozen other sources ranging from Star Wars to Lord of the Rings via the Dragonlance Sagas and Gladiator - all set in a low-fantasy / alternate-realworld soup of a setting.

Still fun though - it does what it does well.

Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera - Black (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR)
Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera - Black (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level DSLR, 15 Sep 2008
Recently bought this digital SLR (with the VR lens kit) and I'm very impressed so far. This is my first dSLR purchase but I don't think I was prepared for just how great the jump in quality would be from a compact.

Out of the box it's pretty much ready to go, and I was taking pictures about five minutes after the battery was done charging. The camera does come with the obligatory 300page manual for when you get round to needing to know about f-stop and aperture timings and all that but the quickstart guide is enough to get you up and running.

So far I've been shooting inside and outside and the picture quality thus far has been, to my untrained eye, exemplary. Although the auto-flash seems a little oversensitive it's just a flick of a lever to turn it off.

The camera comes with it's own picture exporting and viewing programmes although the installation to my PC seemed a little buggy so I'm taking them off manually with Windows Explorer and it's fine.

The only two things to bear in mind before you buy is that, firstly, unlike compacts (or even your phone) at this price range you shouldn't expect to be able to arange a shot via the screen, so you'll be using the viewfinder. Secondly, the Nikon D60, like it's predecessor does not have an internal auto-focus motor, so you're dependent upon the lens having one - this is a standard feature on pretty much EVERY compatable lens that the entry-level amateur will be looking at (if indeed you upgrade at all)but bear in mind that if you're looking to dig out an old Nikon or Sigma from your standard SLR you might be on manual focus.

All round a great camera - really happy with it and would definitely buy again knowing what I know now.