Profile for Frenger > Reviews

Frenger

Tricolore [VINYL]
Tricolore [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars The album of the year thus far., 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tricolore [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Tricolore is an album which is impossible to pin down, it pulls its influences from the classical era, minimalistic folktronica, 80's computer games, and in one song, dubstep.

It may sound as if that would be hard to pull off, and it is, but Haiku Salut do it in an inspired way. The song writing is clever without being too challenging, and the album is truly engaging and heart-warming.

Expect a blend of Aphex-Twin, Beirut, early Mum and the Books before pressing play and you won't be disappointed, it's exactly those things, but it's also so much more. There's a sense of naivety with this album that makes the whole thing such a joy to listen to over and over again.

Highlights include "Glockelbar", "Los Elefantes", "Six impossible things", "Train Tracks" and "No, you say it!" which I appreciate is nearly half the album, but it's really just one big, massive highlight.

Dissent Over Descent: Intelligent Design's Challenge to Darwinism
Dissent Over Descent: Intelligent Design's Challenge to Darwinism
by Steve Fuller

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit over the top?, 19 Jan. 2012
I don't think anyone has ever wanted me to agree with them more. It was really hard to understand his style of writing to begin with, until I realised it was built on a foundation of whinging.

Throughout the book I saw no positive reasons as to why ID should be taken seriously and I saw no real reasons (all his points were either out of date or just plain wrong) why natural selection shouldn't be the principle in which evolution is driven.

I can't tell whether this book was made to reinforce people who already agree with ID or if it is supposed to change Evolutionists mind. If it was the latter we have a problem as there is no evidence put forward to suggest ID is even a science, let alone a science strong enough to remodel one of the most excepted branches of science.

So, in the end, all this book seems to say is "Ah come on, give us a chance mate" without offering any real reason why we should.