Profile for Tween > Reviews

Content by Tween

Tween (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Ambassador Packing Carton Double Wall Strong Flat-packed 457x305x305mm Ref SC-64 [Pack of 15]

3.0 out of 5 stars Good boxes, supplier can't count, 22 July 2015
Arrived in good time, boxes seem sturdy enough for purpose (shipping lots of books). However, ordered 15, received 14, and the outer two were both damaged from the plastic strapping being applied too tight, cutting through the card and affecting the overall rigidity of the box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2016 10:56 AM GMT

American Bondage
American Bondage

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern morality play, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: American Bondage (Kindle Edition)
I took some time away from this one to think about it before I wrote a review. This isn't a story as much as a prompt for a morality discussion.

Set in a dystopian America where abortion in any form is illegal and punishable as murder, not even rape victims are given the morning-after pill. When a promising young girl dies in labour, it sparks a chain of events that will force the entire American population to question their beliefs about abortion and the sanctity of life.

This is a pretty hot topic, and the book offers no absolute answers. There are characters who take absolute lines on both sides of the debate, but what this book presents are the shades of grey - the occasions when there is no absolute answer to be found.

The questions raised in American Bondage will resonate long after reading this very short story. And that's my only criticism; the length. Sallie Holt has achieved something impressive in only 5,000 words, but I can't help feeling that more could have been made of this, that if it were even slightly longer it would have drawn me deeper and made the message even more powerful than it already is.

Paper Moon (The Boy I Love Trilogy Book 3)
Paper Moon (The Boy I Love Trilogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prose poetry for the soul, 20 Mar. 2014
I love the 'Boy I Love' books, and although this story focuses more on the second generation, I enjoyed it just as much. Husband's writing is simply gorgeous, and once again she weaves a story which, once read, cannot be forgotten.

Muffled Drum
Muffled Drum

4.0 out of 5 stars Good historical romance, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Muffled Drum (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this novella, which was set in an unusual time period -- I'm more used to reading Recency / Victorian, or non-specific American historicals, so I couldn't comment on the accuracy but, this being Erastes, I'm assuming it was as thoroughly researched as it seemed to be from a lay perspective. Not that the story is bogged down in detail.

Yes, it uses the oft-abused trope of amnesia, but I enjoyed the spin Erastes put on what is largely considered a jaded storyline, and the story definitely struck a chord as I willed Rudolph to remember Mathias before it was too late.

Merrick
Merrick

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gothic romance, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Merrick (Kindle Edition)
I have to say, I was surprised by the supernatural element of this book. Surprised, but pleasantly pleased. It's a great American gothic romance, which presses all the right buttons. A wonderful book to curl up with and get lost in.

Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin Book 1)
Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series!, 20 Mar. 2014
A friend put me on to Widdershins, and I'm so glad she did. I loved just about everything about this novel, read the whole thing in one setting, and immediately started on the rest of the series. It's the perfect mix of historical setting, paranormal drama, and budding romance between a dashing detective and the most adorably bookish scholar you're ever likely to meet.

The Yearning
The Yearning

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love with a ghost..., 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Yearning (Kindle Edition)
Gah! What a perfect story. Just...perfect. The love, the angst, the heartache, the grief, the warm fuzziness and the total despair. The world-building was complete and convincing, the mythology of the afterlife meticulously thought out, and the ending? Oh lawd, the ending! *sigh* I'm going to be dreaming of ghosts for weeks...

Velocity (Impulse Book 3)
Velocity (Impulse Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Conclusion to the Trilogy, 20 Mar. 2014
I stumbled over Inertia almost by accident, and quickly read the other two books in the series. I am absolutely in love with Derrick and Gavin, and watching their relationship develop and mature has been a treat. Highly recommended.

Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky Book 2)
Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires and cyberpunk and conspiracy, oh my!, 20 Mar. 2014
I loved A Chip in His Shoulder, and was thrilled to find there was a sequel. These books are a stunning mashup of cyberpunk and paranormal with a healthy dose of conspiracy theories, dystopia, and truly erotic romance. More, please!

The Lightning Struck Tower (Precog in Peril Book 3)
The Lightning Struck Tower (Precog in Peril Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent conclusion to the trilogy, 20 Mar. 2014
I really enjoyed this series by Theo Fenraven, and the final installment didn't disappoint. As other reviewers have said, there's more than enough scope at the ending for a whole new series featuring Gray and Cooper, and I for one would buy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7