Profile for Tween > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Screw the Fags
Screw the Fags

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet short story, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Screw the Fags (Kindle Edition)
I haven't read the novel from which this short is a spin off, but I certainly will now! A sweet short about a sub trying to give up cigarettes, and his Dom encouraging him.

Safeword (Power Exchange Book 2)
Safeword (Power Exchange Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Sequel, 20 Mar. 2014
I absolutely devoured Power Exchange, but AJ Rose really raised the bar in this gripping sequel. I love Ben and Gavin, and I loved watching them work through their traumatic experiences from the previous book, trying to regain an equilibrium in their relationship and rediscover their D/s dynamic, even as my heart broke over and over for Gavin when he found himself unable to submit, and for Ben when it was clear he'd lost confidence in his abilities as a Dom.

Everything about this novel was perfect: from the main couple, to the criminal investigation, to the wealth of secondary characters, some awesome (Myah!!) and some you want to strangle. I could read this book over and over and never grow tired of losing myself in the world and characters AJ Rose has so skillfully drawn.

Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin Book 2)
Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I'm in love with Whyborne, 20 Mar. 2014
No, seriously.

Following the events of Widdershins, Threshold takes our two heroes to a mining town, where dark and terrible things are happening. Once again there's an unearthly mystery to solve, atmospheric settings and a healthy dose of peril. Also probably the single funniest line I've read in a book, ever, uttered by a mortified Whyborne at Griffin's insistence.

And that's what I read these books for most of all -- Whyborne and Griffin themselves. I love this couple, and I loved watching their relationship develop in this second installment of what is already one of my all-time favourite series.

The Man PLAN (52 First Dates, Book 1)
The Man PLAN (52 First Dates, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the premise of this series!, 20 Mar. 2014
David's got a plan, and it's a simple one. He's going to find himself a husband, and he's going to do that by going on a first date every week of the year until he finds Mr Right... If only he could stay away from Grindr, with its host of Mr Right-Nows.

This is a fun, sweet, erotic tale about one man's quest for love, and his frequent diversions into lust. For a lighthearted feel-good read, The Man Plan is a must!

Divisions (Out of Position Book 3)
Divisions (Out of Position Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Gold, 20 Mar. 2014
I first discovered Kyell Gold through his free collection, Gold Standard, and from there I quickly moved on to Dev and Lee's series. I have zero interest in American football, yet when I read these books I find I'm actually excited about what's going on. Dev is now the first out pro footballer, and while he just wants to play the game and prove he's no different, Lee's seen a perfect opportunity to make Dev the face of a new wave of activism.

I love this couple, I love how different they are, and yet how much they love each other and how desperate they are to make their relationship work. They're both idealistic in their own ways, yet whenever they butt heads they manage to set that idealism aside and find a compromise. I also love the sweeping nature of these books, which encompass activism, homophobia, religious fervour, family drama, and sport, as well as a good dose of romance. I absolutely devour them, and I can't wait for the next one.

Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin Book 3)
Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning book in this series, 20 Mar. 2014
I love Whyborne and Griffin. Especially Whyborne. I waited soooo impatiently for this third novel in the series, and it didn't disappoint. This mystery draws our two heroes into another strange cult, which worships an even stranger god; shadowy figures keep drawing them back to the docks, and the key to the secret lies on the forbidden upper floor of the local lunatic asylum. And is that water, Whyborne is commanding?

This novel rose to greater epic heights than the previous two, with a truly stunning showdown on the cliffs above the asylum, but still has that unmistakable Whyborne and Griffin style -- or is that lack of style? (I swear, I'll never picture a dressing gown in quite the same way again). Their relationship also grows, as Griffin is forced to confront the torments of his past, and Whyborne's affinity with all things magical once again seems to be leading him into trouble.

I love this couple, I love the world Jordan L Hawk has created, and I cannot wait for the next installment.

Blue River
Blue River

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Historical Time Travel Romance, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Blue River (Kindle Edition)
I love historical stories, and I loved Theo Fenraven's writing, so this was a sure-fire winner for me. When 21st century Ethan is transported through a mysterious fog back to 1863, his first reaction is horror. How do these people clean, cook...go to the bathroom?!? I loved those details, the everyday things that would really impact a modern person going back in time.

Fortunately for Ethan, he's found by Quinn, a local farmer who's met time travelers before. Quinn and his sister take Ethan in and agree to support him until the fog returns and he can go back home. Then Ethan mentions that he's gay -- an impossible thing in 1863, yet to Quinn, it's a revelation. He's engaged to be married, but knows in his heart his fiancee isn't who he really wants.

My heart broke for Quinn as I watched the two men fall in love, against all their better judgement. When the fog finally returns, both Ethan and Quinn have difficult decisions to make, and all I'll say is I'd love to see a sequel!

All In with the Duke (Gambling on Love Book 1)
All In with the Duke (Gambling on Love Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars All in with the Duke, 20 Mar. 2014
I'm a little more conflicted about this book than any other of March's. Firstly, it's an actual novel - squee! - it gets a star for that alone.

I liked Tristan and I liked Max, and I loved them as a couple. Yes it's maybe a little cliched to have the big (in every sense), socially, financially, and politically powerful Duke be the Dom in their relationship, but this story didn't follow the conventional D/s narrative in that Max, while knowing exactly what turns him on, was once bitten, twice shy about expressing his darker desires. March writes absolutely lovely Doms, men who are utterly smitten by their subs and care as much for their pleasure as their own, and Max was no exception.

However... I can't help feeling the ending was just too neat and tidy. March is rather fond of the partner who cannot imagine a future between her heroes suddenly having a Big Revelation and all their objections melting away in the space of a couple of paragraphs of Deep Thought, but underlying that overly-convenient conclusion is a carefully considered and realistic way for the two men to be together - something I especially value in an historical romance. In this story... I simply didn't believe in the solution Max found.

Still, those niggles aside it was an enjoyable book to read, as March's books always are. It suffered from perhaps (gasp!) a surfeit of sex, but then she writes it so well who can complain about that? Overall it's a solid 3.5-4* read and if you're a fan of March's you'll love it.

Coulson's Wife (The Coulson Series Book 1)
Coulson's Wife (The Coulson Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking start to a family saga, 20 Mar. 2014
I don't normally read American historical stories, but this one really caught my interest. Mary Ellen is forced into what is essentially an arranged marriage with a man she hardly knows. She's shipped off to the city, away from her family and the life she's always known, to be greeted by a cold and distant husband, and his charming and handsome best friend. The reason for Randall's indifference becomes clear by the end of the novel, and I can honestly say I felt for both of them. Coulson's Wife is a bittersweet tale of forbidden love, as the characters struggle to find happiness against the conventions of the society in which they live.

Horror Stories From A Computer Tech
Horror Stories From A Computer Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 20 Mar. 2014
You know exactly what you're getting with books like this, and Geekus Maximus doesn't disappoint. You could do far worse than spend a diverting half-hour hearing some of the horror stories of a computer tech.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7