Profile for mollynew442 > Reviews

Non E' Per Sempre
Non E' Per Sempre
Price: 9.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Italian Alternative Rock, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Non E' Per Sempre (Audio CD)
"Non e per sempre" is the fifth album from Milan's Afterhours. It is a solid collection of tunes all sung in Italian. The most famous track is the title track with its sweeping strings but for me the appeal of Afterhours is in their most fraught moments such as the end of La verita che ricordavo and my personal favourite Non si esce vivi..... No matter how hard I try though I cannot really get into this album as stand out tracks are few beyond those I have already mentioned. Oppio is a dull plodding number, Baby Fiducia never really gets going and both Tutto Fa... and Superenalotto are pretty forgettable. L'Inutilità is a great track but ruined by the pointless forty seconds of nothing on the end - maybe I've missed the point with this one. The vocals on L'Estate are impressive and the sound of this track shows the heights of which the group is capable. Consistency is the issue here with too many of the thirteen tracks missing rather than hitting. It's not bad it's just not that great.

Hanging Around
Hanging Around
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 6.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of classic Britpop, 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: Hanging Around (Audio CD)
A one off single by a band consisting of Blur's Alex James, Elastica's Justine Frischmann, Duran Duran's Steven Duffy (and a friend of Alex James). Only three tracks but all are solid tunes and unsurprisingly have a very Blurry sound to them. The single opens with the riff from The Blues Brothers "Everybody needs Somebody...". Take the aforementioned track and mix it with Parklife and you'll have an idea of what to expect. Not sure how Me Me Me escaped me back in 1996 as these are decent tunes and the single made it to number 19. Anyway glad I found it now.

Whats on the Outside
Whats on the Outside
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 28.06

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: Whats on the Outside (Audio CD)
After reading an interview with Noel Gallagher on the Internet I was interested in hearing a band he raved about called The Real People. Chris and Tony Griffiths were immensely supportive of Oasis as far back as 1993 when they helped the group to write and record some of their earliest songs. Indeed Tony Griffiths is credited with writing Rockin'Chair. I was surprised to discover that the band are still performing and are now in their 26th year together ! I was not surprised to find out that the band hail from Liverpool as the Beatles sound is apparent in several of the tunes, none more so than in Track 7 "Fishes". As I listen to the album I can't help making comparisons to the Seahorses and I would suggest that the 1999 Do It Yourself album owes a fair bit to The Real People. At times the vocals sound like an early Liam Gallagher (The People in the Telly) and the music will appeal to fans of Oasis (Can't Breathe), Cast, and OCS (Rayners Lane). Anyone with a love of honest indie and rock should explore this band. I cannot figure out why they did not hit the big time when Britpop mania enabled bands such as Dodgy to rise to fame. While not exactly innovative with nods to the Fab 4 and even Nirvana (check out the borrowed Polly chords on Rolling Stone) it soon becomes obvious how much many of the more contemporary artists owe to the Real People. I'm loving this and am now eager to hear the debut album, the alleged "blueprint to Definitely Maybe" which I have just purchased. A great sound and a fine set of tunes. A shame they have not been able to achieve the true success which their music merits.

Fight Test
Fight Test
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 5.23

4.0 out of 5 stars A great E.P !, 31 Oct 2009
This review is from: Fight Test (Audio CD)
As a huge Radiohead and Flaming Lips fan I bought this EP for the Knives Out cover. The CD includes bonus mutimedia (a video for Fight Test and a trailer for the Christmas on Mars movie). Sadly I can't find a computer which can access these and to make things worse I can't find a stereo which will play the CD! The only way I've been able to listen to the CD is through the computer - this may be a dodgy disc but I've not encountered this before. After the brilliant Fight Test comes the classic Kylie cover which the band manage to make their own. Tongue in cheek it may be but it is nevertheless a stunning arrangement with Waynes's fragile voice shining out from behind a thick cloud of synthesiser. Next comes a cover of Beck's "The Golden Age" which is nothing special and a rather strange choice for a cover. The reason for my purchase does not disappoint as the band deliver a brilliant "Knives Out", not so different from the original although slightly longer. "Do you Realize" is given a dance remix and for me is the stand out track on the E.P. The final two tracks are new Lips tracks. " The Strange Design of Conscience" is a great tune and would not have sounded out of place on the album. The final track "Thank You Jack White" is a Cash-esque tune in which Wayne expresses his gratitude to Jack White for his gift of a fiber optic Jesus statue. Exactly. Aside from the Beck cover it's a great set of songs. Now I'm off to Brainville....

Tomy Ski Jumping Penguins Bath Toy
Tomy Ski Jumping Penguins Bath Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bath Time Bliss, 6 July 2009
This is a great product. Skiing penguins travel up the slope and shoot down the slide. Our boy loves it and has soon managed to put the penguins on the ramp himdelf. We bought him this when he was 9 months old and initially he was a little scared as the penguins hit the water but it has improved his coordination. Four months on it remains popular and it is a great way of taking his mind off soaking our bathroom with his crazy splashing. Just watch out they don't sit on the penguins - they hurt !

VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker
VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker
Offered by Thinkprice
Price: 31.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT PRODUCT !, 6 July 2009
We bought this for our little boy as he was constantly using items of furniture to help him stand but lacked the confidence to walk. He is now 13 months old and although he is still not walking independently he loves to toddle around with his walker. We have noticed that his balance has improved considerably and that he is gradually becoming braver, even letting go completely when distracted by Pepper Pig on TV ! It's bright and baby friendly with lots of fun things to do. Just as importantly it's strong and dead easy to clean. The telephone is brilliant too. We've bought a lot of toys over the last year and sadly too many have been poor choices. This however is one purchase we are glad we made and I have no hesitation in recommending it to everyone.

Chicco DJ Walker - Hawaii
Chicco DJ Walker - Hawaii

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 14 Dec 2008
As a fist time parent everything to do with babies is new to me. I didn't have a clue which walker to purchase and went for Chicco as it is a reputable brand and the price was good. However while I cannot fault the seat for comfort and for being easy to clean there is a major flaw as another reviewer has mentioned - the back wheels are fixed. This means that changing direction and going backwards are very difficult. Our baby boy loves zooming along the kitchen floor but upon colliding with a kitchen unit is then stuck without our help as he cannot turn around. He has used other walkers at play group with more success and we now regret purchasing this model. The entertainment unit is good although as a walker this model really isn't up to the job.

Wesco Star Wars R2D2 Projection Alarm Clock
Wesco Star Wars R2D2 Projection Alarm Clock
Price: 22.33

3.0 out of 5 stars A great gift. An OK alarm clock., 13 Dec 2008
A great gift for any Star Wars fan. Sure it's only an alarm clock but it looks cool and it's R2D2 ! The buttons take a while to get used to and as a clock it's very impractical as the window is so small you can't see what it says until your about 8 inches away. The display does not light up so you cannot see the time at night which is annoying. The alarm is great - Loud and reliable. I have had mine three years and never had to change the battery. The projector is a nice gimmick and is very appealing to youngsters. Don't drop it though - my R2 unit is now missing a leg having been knocked off the bedside cabinet.

Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
Price: 76.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, 12 Dec 2008
With my non existent DIY skills and an enthusiastic labrador with free roam of the house, a bouncer in the door frame was a real no go. We have been really pleased with the Jumperoo. Our little boy has been using it from 4 months (with help) and now at 6 and a half months he is really enjoying it. It has 3 height settings which are dead easy to adjust and there are so many bits and pieces to amuse baby. Lights, sounds, spinning balls and even cleverly designed leaves which dangle above baby encouraging him/her to get bouncing. Our boy goes in it half an hour a day and loves it. As well as amusing them it is a great way of srengthening their legs and of giving them the confidence to get moving independently. An excellent product well worth the 80.

TOMY First Years Starlight Dreamshow (Yellow)
TOMY First Years Starlight Dreamshow (Yellow)
Offered by The Magic Toy Shop
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 12 Dec 2008
Ever since he was a few weeks old our little boy has been lulled off to sleep by the Starlight Dreamer. He's now 6 months old and it is a god send for getting him off to sleep even now that he is teething. It is a nightlight as well as a lullaby and displays circling moons and teddy bears either on the ceiling or wall. The shape of the product enables the display to be focused anywhere. For less than a tenner I think it is a wonderful purchase and another great fetaure is that despite being played every night for 6 months I have only had to change the batteries once ! I cannot speak highly enough about this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6