Profile for Hatman > Reviews

Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe
Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe
by Brian Clegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Jun 2010
As always, Brian Clegg demonstrates a superbly researched love of his subject; all with enthusiasm, and an easy command of the English language. The result is a book that anyone can read (and should) without having to perform weighty mental contortions - Clegg has already done the 'heavy lifting'. This is a book about ideas, but to his credit Mr. Clegg manages to cover the most popular theories in a fast paced, lively and clear fashion all while handling some really difficult ideas. Don't let the subject matter scare you - this is for the general reader.

The real beauty of this book is that it explores what we really know about things that are taken for granted in most science writing: Black holes; wormholes; dark matter; dark energy - so much of the physics underlying these has a degree of speculation that is usually glossed over, yet Clegg explains it here so that it may be understood without having to have a PhD in Physics and/or Maths or both!

First Light
First Light
by Geoffrey Wellum

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 April 2008
This review is from: First Light (Paperback)
The story of a 19 year old 'kid', and how he became a Spitfire pilot in the second world war ... he survived to tall the tale recounted from his personal memories and notes he took at the time. A fascinating read from start to finish, and an even better read if you've also got a pilot's licence [as I have] - he often says 'pilots will understand', and we do.

Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
by Brian Clegg
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Finitely Enjoyable, 20 Oct 2003
I would perhaps have once said 'infinitely enjoyable' - but, having read this book I think it would be impossible to say that - as I think (?) that that would mean that nothing else could ever truly appeal to me again.
This book was fascinating from start to finish - and cleared up some questions I've had lurking deep in my brain for many a year. And, it cleared these up using truly delightfully prose.
I'm definitely 'a fan' - and have just ordered Light Years for myself as a treat.