Profile for The Gun > Reviews

Content by The Gun

The Gun "gattmunn" (Glasgow)

Page: 1 | 2
Spitfire: World War II Series, Book 3
Spitfire: World War II Series, Book 3
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Look past the flaws in the language and you're left with a ripping yarn, told superbly well!, 18 Jun. 2016
I read the previous reviews and agree that the language isn't great or necessarily reflective of the era so I was a bit sceptical going into it. Once I let it go, I found it to be a romping good story nonetheless. I really enjoyed the narrator too who has a gravelly voice, which added a bit of guts and colour, really bringing the book to life.

KIKI Health Organic 100% Raw Coconut Oil - 500ml
KIKI Health Organic 100% Raw Coconut Oil - 500ml

1.0 out of 5 stars Kiki coconut oil is AMAZING! But don't buy from Amazon..., 9 April 2016
This is not a criticism of the usual Kiki coconut oil product, which 5 stars. I have ordered this product before with no previous issues, however I had 2 problems with my most recent order. Firstly one of the jars turned up smashed. I don't really want to return broken glass in the post as I don't want to injure anybody. The bigger problem though was that the second jar had the most awful oil in it. It was grainy and slightly salty, which is not what I expect from Kiki. The normal Kiki oil is buttery smooth, which is what you expect from a high quality cold pressed oil. I contacted Kiki directly and they were extremely helpful. I would strongly advise buying direct from them. I'm not sure if it was stored badly or what, but had it not been sent from Amazon itself I would assume it was a counterfeit product. Be careful when buying. To finish on a positive note though, the Kiki oil is the best coconut oil that I have come across and I have tried several.

Shure Srh1540 Closed-Back Headphone
Shure Srh1540 Closed-Back Headphone

5.0 out of 5 stars If you really want high end sound in privacy, look no further..., 12 Oct. 2015
These really are blissful headphones. From the point at which you open the box, you know that you are dealing in a premium product. They come in a hard headphone case, with a spare set of ear cups and a spare cable, which all has a real robust feel. The connections are easy and the cable is heavy duty so I think the spare will stay in the box for a while. But enough talk of fluff...the sound quality is immense. My set up is with an ipad, boosted with an oppo HA2 combined amp and dac and using Tidal to stream high quality audio files. The combo is perfect! You can throw anything at them and what you get in return is an open and detailed sound, robust but not overpowering base, and an eveness that runs through all frequencies. Despite this beautifully structured and unified audio signature, you never lose the sense of the individual voices and instruments. I would say listen to this or listen to that, but actually listen to anything and everything that you want. These bad boys will deliver every time!

Harrys of London Men's Dylan Scotch Loafers
Harrys of London Men's Dylan Scotch Loafers

A high potential opportunity executed badly.

Poor old Harry's of London. I am really disappointed that their great idea for bringing real comfort to smart footwear and top end customer service is fundamentally flawed in a number of ways. In summary, never buy them off the internet without trying them first, don't wear them too often as the workmanship is shoddy, be near to a shop for repeated returns, be prepared for a painful argument on your statutory rights. And expect them to be lovely throughout, but basically really unhelpful.

I bought a pair of loafers in January with the Vibram rubber sole as I commute to London a lot and wanted something super comfy for trekking about the underground in. Let's start with the good stuff - lovely sales staff. That's it.

The first minor problem was sizing. I am a size 8.5 and have been for the last 30 years. I am a size 6.5 in Harry's world. This means that buying a pair off the internet is an absolute no no.

Next problem is that actually they really aren't all that comfortable at all. I thought that might be cured with wearing them in but no such joy. After a few weeks of wearing say twice a week, the sole fell off both shoes. So, on balance I thought I would get my money back. I went back to the shop where the amazing sales assistant remembered my name (remember the lovely sales staff), but I was told she could not do a refund, but they could be re-soled and stretched out a bit. 2 weeks later, I get the shoes back. They hadn't bothered to re-polish them (not that that's a major issue but for £350 shoes...?). I wore them again a few times and noticed how quickly the sole was wearing down. Anyway the sole came off again about another month or so later and at this point I'm pretty annoyed. However not as annoyed as a colleague of mine where his soles had fallen off now 4 times and counting.

Now here's the rub - I REALLY want my money back. So the shop in Royal Exchange where I bought them has closed. Not being from London it's now a trek to take the shoes back, but I manage it. I called in advance to say I wanted my money back and was told no problem. Just ask for Trevor who will be in all day. I did. He wasn't. And non of the shop staff were willing to refund my shoes in his absence. So I gave them the shoes and walked out to the promise of a call. Which hasn’t happened.

Harrys of London Men's Henley Driver Loafers