Profile for gill10stars > Reviews

gill10stars "gill10stars"

Make Your Own Dress Patterns
Make Your Own Dress Patterns
by Adele P. Margolis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you want to draft your own patterns, 26 Feb 2013
I was sick and tired of fiddling with commercial patterns to get them to fit so decided to learn how to draft my own patterns. I bought this book which came highly recommended in a sewing blog. The information in this book is invaluable from simple dart manipulation to more complex design ideas. Although written in the 80's it is still relevant for today. The book does not cover how to draft your own basic blocks but does make a great companion book to Winifred Aldrich's book on metric pattern cutting for womenswear.

Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing: A Modern Guide to Couture-style Sewing Using Basic Vintage Techniques
by Gretchen Hirsch
Edition: Hardcover-spiral

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!!!, 5 Sep 2012
I follow Gertie's blog and have done a couple of her online courses at Craftsy so was eagerly anticipating the arrival of her book. If you love vintage sewing you will love this book. The accompanying patterns are scrumptious and I can't decide what to make first. The first part of the book has some good techniques and tips for sewing vintage including fitting and fabric choices but the piece de resistance are the wonderful patterns. Considering a commercial pattern now costs around £8 a time the 15 patterns included mean this book is great value. Well done Gertie's you did not disappoint!

Breville JE3 Antony Worrall Thompson Professional Juice Extractor
Breville JE3 Antony Worrall Thompson Professional Juice Extractor

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Juicer!, 11 Feb 2005
My friends refer to me as the gadget queen - an advertising man's dream customer - always searching for the perfect gadget. I decided to buy a juicer because I went on yet another diet and chose this one because of the excellent reviews.
I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled with it. I can't believe the taste of natural juice and will never ever drink anything from a carton again. I do not find it at all noisy - compared to my Kenwood Smoothie maker it is really quiet! There are a lot of bits to it but it is easy to put together and I was sipping juice within 30 minutes of it arriving! Cleaning is always a bind but I don't suppose this one is any more time consuming than other machines.
If you are thinking about buying a juicer than I would definitely recommend this one.
By the way if anyone knows of the perfect gadget for chopping onions then please let me know!